Shopping Discussion

The Art of Pricematch (ALPHA version 0.1)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2009 1:19 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1590 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto

The Art of Pricematch (ALPHA version 0.1)

Work in Progress, will be updated with comments and suggestions as time goes on:

While the basics are simple and most PM's are successful, some price matches, especially the bigger ones, are harder to get. This guide is most relevant to those big scores, items that are hardest to get because the ad says "limited qty", the item doesn't have a model #, or the deal is just too big.

1. Everyone is playing a game to get money
The biggest misconception people have is that stores has to follow their policies, and when employees try to give excuses, customers take them literally and the price match devolves into squabbles over details like which stores are in stock, what is the exact model number, which are important but take alot of work. Actually I want people to think about price matches another way: Stores pricematch because the costs of PMing is smaller than the costs of evading. These costs will vary depending on the retailer: the position of the employee, his commission structure, the time of day, the branch's policies, and it will depend on you, your attitude, appearence, persona. You can control over all of these and by doing alot of little things, avoid all of the squabbles and get the price match immediately.

2. People don't serve policies, they serve themselves
On a 60% PM, I had gotten my pricematch, but at the end I was squaring with store manager for the price beat. Because I wasn't able to come in at a busy time, he was able to bring in guys from 3 departments and now 8 FS employees were staring me down as he just bluntly told me he wouldn't give me 10% of the difference, in an attempt to use social pressure. This required a new stratagem.

I began questioning his moral authority, saying that "Well that doesn't seem right to me". "I thought Futureshop had a 10% price guarantee" as I pointed at the big sign overhead which said they would beat 10% of the difference "Are you saying you aren't going to honour your policies" "So you're not going to do the proper thing". I acted surprised and disappointed, like I never imagined that futureshop would stoop to this level. The idea was to force him to either admit he was disobeying policies in front of a large number of his staff.

I had to be careful though. It was important to preserve as much of his face in front of his employees, because if I embarrassed him too severely he wouldn't let me win. So as I resolutely stood my ground in front, I acted like he was MY manager, using "Sir" in my statements to him, being polite and making allusions to his important work at the store. I showed respect at the same time I browbeat him about the store's policies.

In the end I let him a way out. "Ok sir, I understand what you're saying, I'll pay $120 (1.50 dollars more than the price beat, but he was giving me ~12 bucks more than his original offer). He accepted this, because I made sure that doing otherwise would make him seem a dishonourable dick in front of his employees while on the otherhand I reduced the loss of face caused by accepting my offer by giving a trivial amount. He tried to use social pressure but I flipped this trick back on him.

3. The store's hassles are your friend (never interrupt the store when they are making mistakes)

I was PMing an item that was ****REDACTED***** at another chain. This was a massive PM of 85% of the retail, selling at a third cost. The alarm bells rang at the CS counter, and the store manager was called in after I did battle with the department manager. They tried hassling me with the usual.

Now I used their songs and dances to my advantage. In addition to being ****REDACTED****, the item had a number of other problems which would normally be problems for price matching. By running the manager through these they would be worn down before they found the real problem. So I made nervous and excessive statements, to the effect that the item was in stock, that the chain had to match stores anywhere in Canada. This instantly attracted the attention of the store manager who fell for my trap.

Firstly the website did not show stock. This item was actually in stock at only 1 of 6 stores in the region. I knew the store but I didn't tell them to force them to tire themselves by calling every store possible to find stock. Then after they finally found the store, they came up with another normal excuse, that they would need to charge shipping costs. This was wrong, but this gave me another opportunity to sing and dance with the managers.

Finally after running through my maze and interrogating all of the usual suspects, they found out the real problem, ****REDACTED****, they couldn't PM. The model number of the item on Futureshop's computer was "A". But ****REDACTED*****...Sorry, no PM. But I had an ace card. I picked up 6 of the item at another branch, and the actual model number on the box was "C"! The chain's neat trick of changing the model numbers to dodge price matches suddenly backfired.

I pointed out there is no such item with model number "A", what are you guys trying to pull? I've been here for goddamn 30 minutes and you guys are wasting everyones time! (I had made sure of this, espiecally since I came in at the busiest possible time of the day). Finally the managers relented and I walked out with 6 Christmas presents way below cost.

4. Know the store and know yourself

5. Respect the store and yourself
This isn't about sticking it to Futureshop/BestBuy, whoever. It's about getting a good (or even amazing) deal for yourself. Don't blow things out of proportion or waste your time on vendettas, no matter what happens. Also, skip the complaint to the store or HQ. These are outlets designed by companies to let customers vent. I doubt anyone gets something substantial, (tell me if you do). Time = Money, use this fact to your advantage later.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
8018 posts
1780 upvotes
Toronto
hm a bit confusing

for pming i've always suggested:

Do your homework beforehand
1.Print out the competitor's price
2.Do the calculation of what it should be
3.Be prepared to supply shipping cost info or authorize sellers
4.Walk into store, grab product, head up to either csr or cashier depending on place.
5.If rejected, kindly ask why, sometimes its just a misunderstanding like ("o they charge shipping"), you might get by if u answer them in a positive manner.
6.If it fails, just go back later and try another rep or another store.

*A friendly customer gets his/her way more than an angry customer who demands a pm
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1590 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Well I always read alot of opinions of price matching and how it seems YMMV. There's quite a few people who may not find it easy at first, and alot of people who get inappropriately emotional, for both parties, when there are easier ways.

I am very, very, successful at pricematching and I pretty much treat it as a right I have, so I thought I would write about what I know...not saying much right now but will update it as time goes on.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6132 posts
1005 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
jackwest wrote: Well I always read alot of opinions of price matching and how it seems YMMV. There's quite a few people who may not find it easy at first, and alot of people who get inappropriately emotional, for both parties, when there are easier ways.

I am very, very, successful at pricematching and I pretty much treat it as a right I have, so I thought I would write about what I know...not saying much right now but will update it as time goes on.
I treat SCOP similarly. They try to fight me on it but I dont let it get personal or upset me. I get frustrated at worst.

Im interested in seeing what you come up with.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2004
2550 posts
76 upvotes
Ontario
jackwest wrote:
3. The store's hassles are your friend (never interrupt the store when they are making mistakes)

I was PMing an item that was not the same as the one at clearance at another chain. This was a massive PM of 85% of the retail, selling at a third cost. The alarm bells rang at the CS counter, and the store manager was called in after I did battle with the department manager. They tried hassling me with the usual.

Now I used their songs and dances to my advantage. In addition to being not even the same item, the item had a number of other problems which would normally be problems for price matching. By running the manager through these they would be worn down before they found the real problem. So I made nervous and excessive statements, to the effect that the item was in stock, that the chain had to match stores anywhere in Canada. This instantly attracted the attention of the store manager who fell for my trap.

Firstly the website did not show stock. This item was actually in stock at only 1 of 6 stores in the region. I knew the store but I didn't tell them to force them to tire themselves by calling every store possible to find stock. Then after they finally found the store, they came up with another normal excuse, that they would need to charge shipping costs. This was wrong, but this gave me another opportunity to sing and dance with the managers.

Finally after running through my maze and interrogating all of the usual suspects, they found out the real problem, that the item model number wasn't the same, they couldn't PM. The model number of the item on Futureshop's computer was "A". But the model number of the competitor's clearance item was "B". Sorry, no PM. But I had an ace card. I picked up 6 of the item at another branch, and the actual model number on the box was "C"! The chain's neat trick of changing the model numbers to dodge price matches suddenly backfired.

I pointed out there is no such item with model number "A", what are you guys trying to pull? I've been here for goddamn 30 minutes and you guys are wasting everyones time! (I had made sure of this, espiecally since I came in at the busiest possible time of the day). Finally the managers relented and I walked out with 6 Christmas presents way below cost.
This seems like fraud...
Heatware: 60-0-0
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2009
1334 posts
1026 upvotes
trixR4kids wrote: hm a bit confusing

4.Walk into store, grab product, head up to either csr or cashier depending on place.
5.If rejected, kindly ask why, sometimes its just a misunderstanding like ("o they charge shipping"), you might get by if u answer them in a positive manner.

*A friendly customer gets his/her way more than an angry customer who demands a pm
This is exactly how I do it.
Sometimes it's the individual sales rep that has no idea how store policy works pretending that he/she does... so if you're prepared you already have the upperhand.

I also learned (the hard way) that going straight to CSR is the best way to get a PM since they aren't on commission and CSR reps are usually hired based on the premise that they are very friendly and easy to talk to.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
trixR4kids wrote: hm a bit confusing

I agree with your steps until you get to step 6. I have never left without my price match. I don't PM anything that I shouldn't so why should I leave without it and waste my time and money to go back if I have a legit PM. Many times, I PM to save the time and gas of going to a more distant store but I have gotten some great deals through PMs.

My step 6 would be to call the manager. Explain why the item should be PMed. If he/she refuses, ask why. Ask where it says that in the policy. Read the policy aloud to the manager. I have never had to go above a store manager to get a PM but would if necessary. Stand firm and make sure that they adhere to their policy.

7. Pay for your PMed item and go home and enjoy it.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1590 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
your post has so many flaws, that attacking it directly is a waste of time, give background/motivation so i can crucify it efficiently
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2004
2550 posts
76 upvotes
Ontario
My first post in this thread was an honest first impression. You were free to dispute it. Instead, you decided to post a Youtube link, so I asked if you were admitting that my assessment was correct. Considering I've only posted 8 words in this thread (minus this post), I'm not sure how my post could have "so many flaws".
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1590 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
DualSoul wrote: My first post in this thread was an honest first impression. You were free to dispute it. Instead, you decided to post a Youtube link, so I asked if you were admitting that my assessment was correct. Considering I've only posted 8 words in this thread (minus this post), I'm not sure how my post could have "so many flaws".
your statement is so broad it contains no content, ie, trolling

depending on what your trying to accomplish, I could take several approaches but your brevity makes witty attacks and devastating putdowns difficult, which makes me think you are doing this strategically to avoid saying anything stupid while still starting criticism

a few approaches i could flesh out...
1) the whole point of the story is that it flips the store's deceptive and dishonourable practices back on itself, that was the whole point
2) essentially every price error thread on RFD is an conspiracy to commit fraud
3) I have no morality and I don't know what criticism of morality means
4)
yawn im already bored
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2004
2550 posts
76 upvotes
Ontario
jackwest wrote: a few approaches i could flesh out...
1) the whole point of the story is that it flips the store's deceptive and dishonourable practices back on itself, that was the whole point
2) essentially every price error thread on RFD is an conspiracy to commit fraud
3) I have no morality and I don't know what criticism of morality means
4)
yawn im already bored
That answered everything quite nicely.
jackwest wrote: depending on what your trying to accomplish, I could take several approaches but your brevity makes witty attacks and devastating putdowns difficult, which makes me think you are doing this strategically to avoid saying anything stupid while still starting criticism
Not trying to accomplish anything. Just curious if my thinking was correct. The bolded statement is true.
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
31 upvotes
best tip to get a PM is go when its busy and DON"T lineup at the CSR, they always get the manager involve and whenever that happens u KNOW ur not getting the PM lol, to me when i PM i feel like im ripping off the store

take the printout/webpage with DATE on it, to the busy lineup at the cashier...last thing they want is to hold up the line so they will NOT call the store to check up on stock, they just look at the add and give u the PM( cashiers,they can authorize the PM themselves most of the time)

when ever i goto PM and the store is empty and not busy, they always weasle there way out of PMing me :mad:
E5200 @ 3.5200 Ghz BIOS 1.38125v 24/7 | Asus P5Q PRO | G.Skill F2-8000CL5D 8GB ram @ 853MHz on 2.10v | 1 TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint HD | 1 TB Seagate 7200.11 rpm| 1 TB WD1001FALS Black Caviar | Antec SONATA 500w Designer Case | BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT OC+ 512MB PCIe 2.0 | OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF | Samsung LN40A530 C(rappy) panel | Logitech G51 sound | Xbox 360 60gb | *PS3 w/ 263gb | Nintendo Wii LU37 | Vista Ultimate x64

/me wuz pwn3d by GAG forums lolz

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)