Sports & Recreation

Artest is out for the rest of the season!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2004 10:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
mingcourt wrote:The Pacers are playing the magic right now.....

Golden State?
The ended up dressing 7 players according to ESPN. But only lost by 3 pts to the Magic
Sep 21, 2004
8842 posts
2386 upvotes
Calgary
Headhunter wrote:Just watched the entire vid; what a fight! WOW.

I kind of feel bad for saying this, but my chances of winning my fantasy league just skyrocketed...just need Dirk, KG and Kobe to brawl, and the title is mine. :cheesygri
same here...just traded S. Jackson + Yao Ming for Iverson in my fantasy league :lol: looks like i got lucky this time!
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Addict
May 20, 2002
2010 posts
15 upvotes
As David Stern & Raptors coach Sam Mitchell explained, it was inexcusable for players to go into the stands. The safety of everyone in the arena was compromised, including girls & small kids.

"He was on top of me, pummeling me,'' fan Mike Ryan of Clarkston said. "He asked me, 'Did you do it? I said, 'No, man. No!'''

Ron Artest & Stephen Jackson were physically assaulting the wrong guy! It was horrific that Artest & O'Neil sucker punched the 2 non-violent fans on the court. All 3 players deserve long suspensions, criminal charges, & million-dollar lawsuits.

Silly Vince Carter condoned Artest's actions. Expect some Vince-haters to go after him, hoping to also get sucker punched then become a multi-millionaire after the lawsuit!
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
b166er1337 wrote:same here...just traded S. Jackson + Yao Ming for Iverson in my fantasy league :lol: looks like i got lucky this time!
Really fortunate...I wouldn't have done that trdae normally, though. Yao's a top 4 fantasy C...
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
183 upvotes
I thought my bad news was the potential trade of Carter, Rose and Rahim. I have all 3 of them in my fantasy team. This league is not a normal league. It only counts certain NBA games. If my players are not playing in the designated game, I get nothing from them in the H2H game. When I heard about the potential trade involving all 3 of them, I almost fade.

Then, this brawl ... and I have both Artest and Ben Wallace. :cry:
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
555 upvotes
eBuddy wrote:As David Stern & Raptors coach Sam Mitchell explained, it was inexcusable for players to go into the stands. The safety of everyone in the arena was compromised, including girls & small kids.

"He was on top of me, pummeling me,'' fan Mike Ryan of Clarkston said. "He asked me, 'Did you do it? I said, 'No, man. No!'''

Ron Artest & Stephen Jackson were physically assaulting the wrong guy! It was horrific that Artest & O'Neil sucker punched the 2 non-violent fans on the court. All 3 players deserve long suspensions, criminal charges, & million-dollar lawsuits.

Silly Vince Carter condoned Artest's actions. Expect some Vince-haters to go after him, hoping to also get sucker punched then become a multi-millionaire after the lawsuit!
obviously..even if he did do it..he's not gonna admit it.... one guy took a swing at artest and o'neil went after that guy

the fans deserved it... if someone threw a beer in my face on the street and taunted me..you bet your ass i'm gonna beat the fvck out of that person.
Sep 15, 2001
202 posts
Mississauga, Ontario
Why is Ben Wallace suspended indefinitely?
Granted he shoved Artest but its not like he went after the crowd like Artest and Jackson.

Give the guy a break, tempers flare during games, we've all seen it happen. Big deal.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
555 upvotes
Chemical2001 wrote:Why is Ben Wallace suspended indefinitely?
Granted he shoved Artest but its not like he went after the crowd like Artest and Jackson.

Give the guy a break, tempers flare during games, we've all seen it happen. Big deal.
because the jackass started the whole thing... he went for a dunk and artest fouled him..just like any player is supposed to do to prevent an easy 2 points, espeically on a player such as wallace who cant shoot freethrows for his life. But the guy sniffed too much glue before the game and went after artest, which got the morons in the crowd going who then decide to throw stuff at players...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
22 upvotes
gilboman wrote:obviously..even if he did do it..he's not gonna admit it.... one guy took a swing at artest and o'neil went after that guy

the fans deserved it... if someone threw a beer in my face on the street and taunted me..you bet your ass i'm gonna beat the fvck out of that person.

Even if he didn't do it, he was probably heckling or his buddy was the one who threw it. Either way, he is involved.

gilboman wrote:because the jackass started the whole thing... he went for a dunk and artest fouled him..just like any player is supposed to do to prevent an easy 2 points, espeically on a player such as wallace who cant shoot freethrows for his life. But the guy sniffed too much glue before the game and went after artest, which got the morons in the crowd going who then decide to throw stuff at players...

Ben Wallace's initial shove was acceptable IMO, under the circumstances (flagarnt foul, 48 secs left in a game that's already won). Ron Artest was great at restraining himself after that and even after Wallace threw a towel at him.

Obviously the beer thrown at Artest started the brawl. But before that, Pistons vs Pacers were already done. It was settled down and they could have just finished the game. But nope, everything that could've been thrown was and Pacer players were treated like walking targets.

What were those two fans who walked onto the court to confront Artest thinking anyways? Trying to take on a whole lot NBA players, what were they expecting, a easy knockout?! I'm glad O'Neal socked a good one on him.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2002
2010 posts
15 upvotes
spike-spiegel wrote:Even if he didn't do it, he was probably heckling or his buddy was the one who threw it. Either way, he is involved.
YOU may be involved as one of the 13,000 fans heckling Artest at the ACC, but it is inexcusable for Artest & Jackson to go up to the stands to criminally assault YOU.
spike-spiegel wrote:What were those two fans who walked onto the court to confront Artest thinking anyways? Trying to take on a whole lot NBA players, what were they expecting, a easy knockout?! I'm glad O'Neal socked a good one on him.
If you look at the replays & interviews, all the short guy did was talk but Psycho Artest sucker punched him. The 2nd short guy tried to protect his assaulted friend, then O'Neil made a 2nd horrific sucker punch. These players deserve to lose millions of dollars, playing time & possibly their priceless freedom. Not only will David Stern throw the book at them, but so will the police & salivating :razz: lawyers.
Feb 21, 2003
873 posts
13 upvotes
eBuddy wrote:YOU may be involved as one of the 13,000 fans heckling Artest at the ACC, but it is inexcusable for Artest & Jackson to go up to the stands to criminally assault YOU.
Not if you do it first!!
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
555 upvotes
eBuddy wrote:YOU may be involved as one of the 13,000 fans heckling Artest at the ACC, but it is inexcusable for Artest & Jackson to go up to the stands to criminally assault YOU.

If you look at the replays & interviews, all the short guy did was talk but Psycho Artest sucker punched him. The 2nd short guy tried to protect his assaulted friend, then O'Neil made a 2nd horrific sucker punch. These players deserve to lose millions of dollars, playing time & possibly their priceless freedom. Not only will David Stern throw the book at them, but so will the police & salivating :razz: lawyers.
not if you assult them FIRST... if somebodoy assults you FIRST such as the fan did, it is perfectly fine to protect yourself and pound that idiot to the ground. and the fan who walked on the court and taunt artest was just stupid..he deserved what he got for being stupid. i say all the fans who got beat up all deserve the darwin adward for being stupid.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
236 upvotes
Chemical2001 wrote:Why is Ben Wallace suspended indefinitely?
Wallace blew it out of proportion. If he didn't add that extra shove to the face none of this would've happened.
As for Artest, he also deserves a suspension for losing it. Granted a plastic beer cup was thrown at him but if he kept calm he could've had the last laugh. He could've told security who the punk was and apprehend him. Not only would this fan be banned from further Pistons games, Artest could've sued him for throwing a foreign object.

The minute Artest went into the stands all bets are off. There's no guarantee what other fans will do to you based on mob mentality. He also endangered his own teammates by going after the fans. Punching that other fan who taunted him was another big mistake. If a fan doesn't touch the player there shouldn't be any physical response.

Artest wanted time off for promoting his rap album. Now this! Thumbs down to Artest for not using his head the second time around!!
Dec 8, 2001
421 posts
Artest provoked the crowd. What was he doing, lying on the scorer's table with his hands behind his head, (when the fan threw the beer at him)?

Loved it when the fans poured Gatorade at O'neill. Too bad, no batteries were handy. (reference: was it Dave Parker or Winfield that had fans throwing batteries at them in the outfield years ago?)

Now, will that running sucker punch by ONeill give the NBA a bigger black eye than the Bertuzzi incident did the NHL?
Sep 15, 2001
202 posts
Mississauga, Ontario
Wallace may have blew it out of proportion but he didn't start the riot. Any thing could have started the little incident. Its not fair to group Wallace in with Artest and Jackson.

What if lets say the Pacers won by a huge lead and some fans got ticked off so they started throwing stuff at the Pacers. Would you start blaming the person on the Pacers that got the most points?

Sheesh, this is just another example of the league over-reacting and putting the blame on somebody without really thinking about the situation.