Sports & Recreation

Artest is out for the rest of the season!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2004 10:30 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Feb 15, 2004
10735 posts
6 upvotes
Headhunter wrote:Ron Artest is untradable at this point; it's interesting that people made such a big ruckus about Rasheed Wallace, but he's a saint in comparison.

I think the NBA should suspend him for the entirety of the 2005-2006 campaign as well.

Stephen Jackson/Jermaine O'Neal should get 41 games apiece; half the season is more like it.

One dude in my pool has Artest and O'Neal; he had fought from the basement up to about 8th/12 teams...back down he goes.

05-06 season too!!! Are you crazy, how would you feel if someone threw a drink at your face? . I think they should get fined 20 games each, making it fair for everyplayer. Everyone should understand Ben Wallace practically initiated the fight, he pushed Ron which lead to chaos. BTW, I hope the fans get charged alot hopefully banishment from the arena.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
1033 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
that was so surreal.. i mean an incident like that happens once in a blue moon... that was crazy... artest and the jackson.... jackson just went crazy on that fan... lol...
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
7 upvotes
Both Jackson and O'neal should receive more games than Artest for one simple reason. They were not provoked by the fans so they had no business rushing the crowd. They went to defend their teammate but attacking the fans was totally unjustified and just for that they deserve MORE games than Artest.
/THREAD
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
3831 posts
27 upvotes
wanted wrote: BTW, I hope the fans get charged alot hopefully banishment from the arena.
Or better, whatever lawsuits they file get thrown out :razz:
I think the rest of the season is too harsh; it's Stern just making an example out of Artest. When Vernon Maxwell pummeled a fan (the most recent player goes after fan incident in the NBA) he got 10 games and a $20,000 fine. Just because this incident got a bit more out of hand (thanks largely to the fans I might add...others didn't have to join in) Artest is now getting an incredibly lengthy suspension. O'Neal/Jackson and the one-gamers I'm OK with because they did go in to the stands without being directly provoked; albeit to protect a teammate. Wallace, I don't know why 6, I woulda thought 3-5 or so but he did in a way instigate the whole thing. Ah well, at the start of the season Indiana was one of the few locks for a playoff spot in the East. Now it'll be interesting if their low-key players can step up and win for them :cool:
i think this line's mostly filler
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
39 upvotes
The League is focusing on no players under any circumstances should enter the seats, let alone start wailing on the fans. Artest started the rampage into the stands and should get the harshest penalty. Whether the whole season or not, the players assosciation will appeal it and I think he'll get half the season off.

Ben Wallace getting six is fair though.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
4 upvotes
wanted wrote:05-06 season too!!! Are you crazy, how would you feel if someone threw a drink at your face? . I think they should get fined 20 games each, making it fair for everyplayer. Everyone should understand Ben Wallace practically initiated the fight, he pushed Ron which lead to chaos. BTW, I hope the fans get charged alot hopefully banishment from the arena.
but latrell got 67 for attacking P.J., artest attacked a fan, i think this incident warrants more than attacking a coach.
he deserved it.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
nx2k wrote:but latrell got 67 for attacking P.J., artest attacked a fan, i think this incident warrants more than attacking a coach.
he deserved it.
Because coaches, unlike fans, aren't human beings!
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
I expected Artest to be gone for the season, at least 30 was a fair game when the rumour first came out. He had history, and he's been pinned by the NBA (ask Rodman, 'Sheed et al). Not trying to pain the silver lining for the Pacers. imagine they suck big time, get high draft next season with his starters back (less Reggie, which at this point is a good thing). Kinda like San Antonio when they drafted Tim Duncan
Mar 10, 2003
211 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Headhunter wrote:Ron Artest is untradable at this point; it's interesting that people made such a big ruckus about Rasheed Wallace, but he's a saint in comparison.

I think the NBA should suspend him for the entirety of the 2005-2006 campaign as well.

Stephen Jackson/Jermaine O'Neal should get 41 games apiece; half the season is more like it.

One dude in my pool has Artest and O'Neal; he had fought from the basement up to about 8th/12 teams...back down he goes.
wtf? err....2005-2006 also? 1 season is already too long.
Mok
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
Headhunter wrote:I think the NBA should suspend him for the entirety of the 2005-2006 campaign as well.
Great! I have a 2 year contract with him left. He will be a un-restricted Free Agent from my league if he needs to be suspended for 2 years. I already put him into IR and I have no cap room to get a replacement. :cry:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X ... &type=lgns

"All of the suspensions are without pay. Artest will lose approximately $5 million in salary, while O'Neal's suspension will cost him nearly 25 percent of his $14.8 million salary for the current season."

Looks like Ronny will lose a big chunk of change.

"Artest was benched for two games earlier this month for asking Pacers coach Rick Carlisle for time off because of a busy schedule that included promoting a rap album.

Artest was suspended twice by the NBA last season, once for leaving the bench during a fracas at a Pacers-Celtics playoff game; the other for elbowing Portland's Derek Anderson. During the 2002-03 season, Artest was suspended five times by the NBA and once by the Pacers for a total of 12 games.

Artest also once grabbed a television camera and smashed it to the ground after a loss to the Knicks two years ago."

Once you're a thug, you're always a thug.
:lol:
Deal Addict
May 20, 2002
2058 posts
38 upvotes
Just as I predicted, the 3 players have long suspensions & are out of millions of dollars so far. It will get worse when the criminal charges & multi-million $$$ civil lawsuits are brought forward.

"Artest will lose approximately $5 million in salary, while O'Neal's suspension will cost him nearly 25 percent of his $14.8 million salary for the current season."
eBuddy wrote:These players deserve to lose millions of dollars, playing time & possibly their priceless freedom. Not only will David Stern throw the book at them, but so will the police & salivating :razz: lawyers.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
suspensions are just a starting point..gonna get cut in half once its all said and done and the appeals process and such sorts them out

artest didnt do anything wrong...if somebody attacks you...u go protect yourself and expect your teammates to have your back
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Mok wrote:wtf? err....2005-2006 also? 1 season is already too long.
This guy has a long history of physical violence against players and crews, and assaulted not 1, not 2, but many fans. He also caused the initial hard contact that incited the incident.

He also asked for time off to promote his rap album.

He's also picked up rediculous amounts of flagrant fouls, technical fouls, and suspensions (both league and team induced) throughout his career.

Marty McSorley got turfed from the NHL for 1 hit, with a much less violent history, on a player wearing protective gear. Huge rap sheet (pun not intended), and multiple assaults on multiple fans, as well as players? That doesn't deserve more than the remainder of this season?

gman wrote:Great! I have a 2 year contract with him left. He will be a un-restricted Free Agent from my league if he needs to be suspended for 2 years. I already put him into IR and I have no cap room to get a replacement. :cry:
What league is this? I think in the NBA, he'd come off the cap starting next season...
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11978 posts
115 upvotes
You're a PRO. You stay on the court no matter what happens. You let security deal with the fans. They (esp. O'Neal and Jackson) crossed the line. I think those two got off light. Artest should get 30 as well but past conduct went against him.
I highly doubt the suspensions will be cut. Usually there's talk of the player's union immediately but even they are reluctant to touch this one. Public opinion is against them.
But despite this, I think Indiana is still a lock if they spread the suspensions correctly. The key has always been O'Neal, not Artest. 25 games can be overcome. They should plan it so he doesn't play when the team plays the upper echelon :)
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
sfu_lifer wrote:I highly doubt the suspensions will be cut. Usually there's talk of the player's union immediately but even they are reluctant to touch this one. Public opinion is against them.

But despite this, I think Indiana is still a lock if they spread the suspensions correctly. The key has always been O'Neal, not Artest. 25 games can be overcome. They should plan it so he doesn't play when the team plays the upper echelon :)
Yeah, usually the union will defend every player, no matter how rediculous, but even Billy Hunter is steering clear of this train wreck.

I think the Pacers are screwed; Cleveland/Orlando/Miami has taken huge leaps since last season, Indiana can't win with Jermaine O'Neal and...uh...Jamaal Tinsley, and the worst dunking champion in history. Not exactly Shaq/Wade/Jones or James/Ilgauskas/Gooden, that trio.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2004
1808 posts
41 upvotes
is artest suspended for the playoffs as well? Or just for the regular season? His suspension says 73 games. Plus we all know the pacers will make it out in the east.
Heatware: 40-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
204 upvotes
[QUOTE]Marty McSorley got turfed from the NHL for 1 hit, with a much less violent history, on a player wearing protective gear[/QUOTE]
Much less violent history?

You a fan of the guy or something or have did you suffer amnesia like Marty did when asked to explain his actions on Mike Bullard?

ANY Calgary Flames fan will tell you about the time Marty the butcher tried to skewer Mike Bullard BETWEEN the legs with his stick years before.

Tough choice taking a DELIBERATE slash in the groin or one to the head.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)