Home & Garden

Artificial Christmas tree recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2017 6:30 pm
Apr 22, 2007
324 posts
159 upvotes
Markham

Artificial Christmas tree recommendations?

Hi all,

Almost that time of the year again - my old artificial Christmas tree is showing it's age (just a cheapie one from Walmart), looking to pick up a new one this year. Saw one at Costco for $299.99 which looks pretty good, but is slightly above my budget. Was wondering if anybody had some other recommendations? Looking for $100-200 ideally, as long as it looks relatively filled. I know that there are usually great deals on these after Christmas, so that is an option as well if there aren't many on sale now.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
5000 upvotes
Toronto
Why not buy real trees for $20 each year at IKEA or from the Cub Scouts?
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1546 upvotes
Brampton
There will not be any on sale now so you might as well wait until close to Christmas. Costco has the best quality trees IMO that's where I got mine years ago also on sale 9 ft tall for around $200. Remember you buy it once and will be using it for many years to come so don't cheap out on quality because you will see it! Have seen lots of crappy looking Christmas trees that look very "artificial" lol
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
4175 posts
1432 upvotes
Have the costco 9 feet GE branded one. Looks very real and is high quality
Political avatars and signature are not permitted.
Apr 22, 2007
324 posts
159 upvotes
Markham
Looks like many people here got them from Costco :) I guess I'll just wait for the price to drop a bit (hopefully it will closer to Christmas...) then pick one up from there.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1632 posts
955 upvotes
TORONTO
FrancisBacon wrote:
torontotim wrote: Why not buy real trees
Because, you know, bugs...(link)
Check out my 'suggest a real Christmas tree thread'. Majority of the suggestions state that they have not had any issues with bugs.
Have you ever had a real Christmas tree?

OP:
Michael's is having a sale on Christmas trees right now (50% off). It ends today!
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2014
1298 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto, ON
+1 for Costco as well and go for pre-lit. Much better than stringing lights up yourself and dealing with that mess.
Apr 22, 2007
324 posts
159 upvotes
Markham
akswun wrote: OP:
Michael's is having a sale on Christmas trees right now (50% off). It ends today!
Will check it out! Thanks!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
akswun wrote:
FrancisBacon wrote:
torontotim wrote: Why not buy real trees
Because, you know, bugs...(link)
Check out my 'suggest a real Christmas tree thread'. Majority of the suggestions state that they have not had any issues with bugs.
Have you ever had a real Christmas tree?

OP:
Bugs aren't the biggest issue. I've only had real trees, but I'm considering a fake one.

Real Tree
- smells nice
- traditional
- messy, especially with needles and sap when moving in and out.
- need to water
- need to cleanup needles
- uneven look
- need to buy every year
- can be difficult to transport
- can damage car when transporting
- no really environmentally friendly to cut down trees every year (even if commercially grown) then requires disposal (also consider all of the trucks required to bring them in, truck them out, then machines to grind them into compost) Many cities may even throw them into the dump.
- fire hazard
- eventually dries out and dies

Fake Tree
- no mess
- one time purchase
- prelit
- no watering
- little harm to the environment if kept for many years
- no smell (can use essential oils instead)
- lower fire hazard
- needs to be stored, so takes up room all year
- looks good all season
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1913 posts
1498 upvotes
Longueuil
This is RFD, artificial all the way! Buy it once, use it forever. Who wants to pay a yearly fee? :-)

They can last for many years. Mine is from 1979 (according to the box but I think it was bought in 1981) and it still looks great. Obviously I am using newer LED lights etc but the tree itself is still nice.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Nov 16, 2006
662 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
I hate to bring back an old thread but can anyone comment on trees today? Where is the best place to look? Was at Home Depot and they had some really nice ones but they were well out of my budget. Like OP I'm in the $100-$200 range.