Travel

Asia Trip This Fall! Suggestions Welcome!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2017 3:58 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1306 posts
1284 upvotes
Toronto

Asia Trip This Fall! Suggestions Welcome!

9/15 - 9/18 Singapore
9/18 - 9/22 Bali
9/22 - 9/27 Hong Kong
9/27 - 10/2 Seoul

Activities, Sights, Food, etc. are all welcome!
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1803 posts
517 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Too long in Singapore and not enough time in Bali Winking Face The dates that you mention, are those the travel dates? For the time you have, I think I'd stay at only three places, because you will lose quite some time travelling. It's not even the flying between the cities, it's more the getting to the airport and wait at least 2 hrs before you can board etc.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13159 posts
3725 upvotes
Mississauga
Too much time in HK too, IMO. The city doesn't really have that much in terms of actual things to see, unless you really like shopping or have family there you need to spend time with. I was there for four days, with one of those days spent as a day trip in Macao, and I found that was plenty of time.
May 7, 2017
347 posts
164 upvotes
HK wayyy to much time. 2 days enough. Morning arrival next day evenning departure

unless you do Macao + Shenzen
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2084 posts
1133 upvotes
Alberta
What are your plans for Seoul? It's boring as hell. I would much rather go somewhere in Japan over Seoul any day. DMZ is about the most interesting thing to do there, until the war breaks out.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1306 posts
1284 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the responses! I'll reply individually.
knuks101 wrote: Too long in Singapore and not enough time in Bali Winking Face The dates that you mention, are those the travel dates? For the time you have, I think I'd stay at only three places, because you will lose quite some time travelling. It's not even the flying between the cities, it's more the getting to the airport and wait at least 2 hrs before you can board etc.
I'm going to Singapore for the Grand Prix race and weekend sessions. Points noted about the airport wait time.
McKinsey wrote: Quantity over Quality?
I think it's a balance of both, it's my first trip back out to Asia in almost two decades, and I'm going to four places I have never been to before.
Talamasca wrote: Too much time in HK too, IMO. The city doesn't really have that much in terms of actual things to see, unless you really like shopping or have family there you need to spend time with. I was there for four days, with one of those days spent as a day trip in Macao, and I found that was plenty of time.
I'll be travelling with my gf, who is from HK. I'm also a huge dim sum aficionado, it's my favorite food ever since I was little.

Plus the gf wants to go clubbing in LKF and I would like a few suits made.
BeanFinn wrote: HK wayyy to much time. 2 days enough. Morning arrival next day evenning departure

unless you do Macao + Shenzen
Will probably do one day in Macao. Not sure about Shenzhen, didn't even consider visiting.
eblend wrote: What are your plans for Seoul? It's boring as hell. I would much rather go somewhere in Japan over Seoul any day. DMZ is about the most interesting thing to do there, until the war breaks out.
DMZ tour, a lot of food (KFC and BBQ being some of my favorites) and gf wants to go shopping in 명동 and 동대문. Plus I hear coffee is overpriced.
Jul 9, 2017
31 posts
11 upvotes
It seems like you got all your activities planned out. And since your GF is from HK you guys can enjoy HK much better since she knows her way around.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1306 posts
1284 upvotes
Toronto
jorralee wrote: It seems like you got all your activities planned out. And since your GF is from HK you guys can enjoy HK much better since she knows her way around.
I think we're not in bad shape for activities, but always open to more ideas in case we get bored, specifically HK and Seoul (And Day 1 of Singapore.)
Apr 12, 2012
798 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
HK is a fantastic place for hiking. You can go to Sharp Island and try walking on water like Jesus. There is a tombolo on which you can stand during low tide.
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1985 posts
978 upvotes
souledge wrote: I think we're not in bad shape for activities, but always open to more ideas in case we get bored, specifically HK and Seoul (And Day 1 of Singapore.)
I was just in Asia for 3wks last month and visited SIN and HKG along with a few other places (3rd time in each)What do you and your gf like to do? Hike, restaurants, bars, history?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2084 posts
1133 upvotes
Alberta
souledge wrote:
DMZ tour, a lot of food (KFC and BBQ being some of my favorites) and gf wants to go shopping in 명동 and 동대문. Plus I hear coffee is overpriced.
Cool, do the full day DMZ tour, that's what I did, was pretty cool, included lunch at a local restaurant, was very good. Yes the food in Korea is great. I was there in 2007, so it's been 10 years, maybe more interesting now. Back then, there was like 0 English anywhere, all you see is a hangul sigh.....could be a restaurant...a drycleaner...who can say haha. They didn't even attempt to add any English words anywhere at all, not even in small font, whereas most other places I travelled do try, cuz it's "cool". I also watched a Soccer game when there, so there is that to do, and shopping I guess if you are into that, I was more into the street food. I was in Seoul for 4 days, pretty sure two of them I was bored walking around. There is the Seoul tower and surrounding area, guess that's pretty cool. I was there with my girlfriends cousin who was a local there, she showed me around, so it's not like I was just a clueless tourist

Jelly about your Singapore F1, I have been there and love it, but never seen an F1 race. The only F1 race I have watched live was at Suzuka last year.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
924 upvotes
HK
OP, you are doing 4 countries in 2 weeks. Normally, I would suggest 2 weeks per country as an average, especially Indonesia and South Korea.

I can appreciate it's been over 20 years since you've been to Asia, perhaps take more time off?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1577 posts
814 upvotes
GTHA
OP, what's your route to Singapore? We're thinking of using EVA Air (YYZ-TPE-SIN) with a free stopover in Taipei.

Anybody been to Taipei? Is it worth spending a day or two or more?
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1306 posts
1284 upvotes
Toronto
RETD wrote: OP, what's your route to Singapore? We're thinking of using EVA Air (YYZ-TPE-SIN) with a free stopover in Taipei.

I think we're flying China Eastern via Shanghai. As our schedule is tight, we wouldn't be able to take advantage of a stopover.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13051 posts
3737 upvotes
RETD wrote: OP, what's your route to Singapore? We're thinking of using EVA Air (YYZ-TPE-SIN) with a free stopover in Taipei.

I'm heading to Bali in a few weeks. Flying from Toronto to Taipei and then to Bali. Stopover in Taipei only this time.

Been to Taipei once. Eh. I spent 1.5 days there and I was fine with it. Only thing to look at was night market and some small sights in city. Rainy weather was not helpful either.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13051 posts
3737 upvotes
2 weeks for all these places is tight but I guess you only want a good taste of each place.

I usually travel for 2 weeks at a time, last time was HK/Cambodia/Vietnam (mainly Cambodia/Vietnam and that was already only 5 days each). Last year was Taipei/HK/Japan with Tai[ei as 1.5 days and japan was 9 days (mainly for that) and that was my second time to Japan.

In a few weeks I'll be heading to Bali for 2 weeks. Nothing else.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
IMO, for Asia, Japan is a must, you can skip Korea. Hong Kong 2-3 days at most, Singapore same, rather spend time in Malaysia instead. I would go to Japan, Taipei and Singapore enroute to Malaysia instead of Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1306 posts
1284 upvotes
Toronto
apvm wrote: IMO, for Asia, Japan is a must, you can skip Korea. Hong Kong 2-3 days at most, Singapore same, rather spend time in Malaysia instead. I would go to Japan, Taipei and Singapore enroute to Malaysia instead of Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Thanks for that, but my plane tickets are already booked. Japan will be for another trip.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
924 upvotes
HK
apvm wrote: IMO, for Asia, Japan is a must, you can skip Korea. Hong Kong 2-3 days at most, Singapore same, rather spend time in Malaysia instead. I would go to Japan, Taipei and Singapore enroute to Malaysia instead of Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Becomes very subjective. While I enjoy Japan, Inalso enjoy South Korea very much. I also preferred Malaysia over Singapore.

We can agree that OP booked 4 countries in 2 weeks to hit the major touristy places rather the off-beaten path.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)