• May 20th, 2014 9:52 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
IceBlueShoes wrote: As my dad says, "when you see a giant wall, pretend the great wall is even bigger" - obviously he's just joking, but it's coming down to cost and time to an extent. I'd rather see/do the Forbidden City if I had to choose between the 2. I love castles and such.
If I can somehow do it inexpensively and without it taking an entire day, I'd be up for it.

Having said that, can a non-Mandarin speaker realistically make it there on the public bus system? Or is that just crazy talk?
As far as I know there no public bus going to Great Wall but a tour bus usually offer by hotels Beijing area. You just ride on the tour bus and go to the Great Wall. The forbidden city, take you a day to understand the dynasty's of china it is more stressful walking up and down each dynasty and more than 10 km long.
Jan 4, 2013
578 posts
117 upvotes
TORONTO
Beijing has 10 times more cars than Toronto, about 7million registered vehicle.

Walking is always faster than driving.

Take the subway. Fast and clean.

IceBlueShoes wrote: Greetings,

so I'm finally off to Asia at the end of May for about 3.5 weeks.
My rough trip outline is as follows: Landing in Beijing, staying 2 nights and taking the overnight train to HK for another 2 nights.
From there off to Malaysia (Kota Kinablu) to visit a nature reserve in Sabah where my sis is doing research for her phd where I'll get a chance to see orangutans in the wild.

From here I'd like to head off to S.Korea, but it seems that it's cheaper for me to take a flight back to Korea via HK vs. a direct trip.
2 days in Korea (quick look around Seoul) and then off to Japan for 8 days, which will be split between Tokyo(3), Kyoto(3),Yokohama day trip and then returning out of Tokyo to TO.

Also has anyone flown with HK Express? They seem to be the ryanair of Asia... is this a fair assessment?

How "cheap" are taxis in Beijing? I'm fine with taking the subway around, but I don't have a hotel as of yet though so I guess this is a mute point...then again when you see the Beijing subway videos on youtube it makes me wonder...

This gwailo (well I'm actually Hispanic but I doubt the locals would be able to tell the difference) thanks you in advance! :) :lol: :razz:
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1218 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
IceBlueShoes wrote: As my dad says, "when you see a giant wall, pretend the great wall is even bigger" - obviously he's just joking, but it's coming down to cost and time to an extent. I'd rather see/do the Forbidden City if I had to choose between the 2. I love castles and such.
If I can somehow do it inexpensively and without it taking an entire day, I'd be up for it.

Having said that, can a non-Mandarin speaker realistically make it there on the public bus system? Or is that just crazy talk?
It's not expensive nor would it take a whole day. When I was there in December, it was cool walking around on the wall with pretty much no one else. One of the best things I've done in my life.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1218 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
IceBlueShoes wrote: Would you suggest Bangkok then?
Maybe doing a temple day trip/tour or something?

Def. not looking to party. I mean if I met up with some people and went for a few drinks that's one thing, but I'm not going to go all out ala Full Moon Party... I'm too old for that!

Honestly, I'd take Bangkok any day instead of Phuket!
If you are into shopping, night market and MBK mall can take a whole day. From Bangkok you can can take a lot of day tours or short 1-4 days tours( eg. 2 Day tour to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat).
If you want to go to a beach, pick a smaller island.
Jun 29, 2007
580 posts
39 upvotes

Just a heads up, you can't actually enter the "castles" of the forbidden city (i.e the individual buildings within the perimeter). Everything has a glass barrier and you can only look into the rooms from the outside or the doorway. It means you're always just outside of a "building" looking in. I understand why they have to do this obviously but it takes away from the experience.

I did the forbidden city in 3 hours or so i think, it was tiring for sure. I think i did the forbidden city + the great wall in one day which i don't recommend because depending on which section of the great wall you visit (there are many!), the climb can be quite arduous. However, well worth the hike.

If you're willing to wake up early, you can probably catch a ride to the great wall in the morning around 7am~, do the hike, and get back to the city for the forbidden city.
Dec 19, 2005
338 posts
240 upvotes
Ottawa
IceBlueShoes wrote: Thanks for the extra tips!
So I've sort of made a new tentative plan and its as follows:
Leave the 28th- Arrive in Tokyo on May 29
May 30-31 - Tokyo
Jun 1-3-Kyoto
Jun4- Yokohama
Jun5- Leave Tokyo for Kota Kinabalu, Malayasia with a 7hr stopover in HK - Is there enough time for me to check out Victoria Peak or perhaps the Harbour and possibly quick shopping trip?
I'd then hop on the plane and then stay overnight in KK.
Jun 6- Take mini plane to Lahad Datu (sounds like a star wars character to me) where I'm meeting my sis to go to the Danum Valley Nature Reserve
Jun 9 -Leaving Malaysia via KK to PHuket.
Arrive late into Phuket and do a day trip Jun 10 (James Bond Island!)
Jun 11-Leave Phuket early for HK
Jun11-13- HK
Catch afternoon train from HK to Beijing
Jun-13-15

I still have about 4 days to play with...
I'm considering a quick 3-4 day trip to New Delhi since this could be my only shot to see the Taj, plus it gives me a chance to do a 9 hr layover in London.

I'm totally fine about travelling around Beijing, but my main concern is doing it during rush hour while carrying my luggage...
I won't be doing the Great Wall, because I'm being realistic as theres no time. I already know that 1 day isn't enough to see the forbidden city, but neither is 1 day enough to see Versailles.

Also is there an overnight bus from Tokyo > Kyoto (and back?) As cool as the high speed rail is, I took it in Italy and while 300km+ is cool, I'll have to settle for 299km/h that the fierarossa did in Italy...

And yes I know I rush a lot... but thanks in advance!
I definitely think this itinerary is too ambitious and you're missing some great stuff in the cities you plan to visit. I get the impression that you're more of a "tick the box" kind of traveller than one who really gets into a destination. If that's your style it's fine but you're going to spend a lot of time in airports and en route versus enjoying the destination.

I would skip the Phuket leg entirely. To go to Phuket to a day trip to the "James Bond Island" is a waste of your vacation days that would be better served elsewhere - extra days in Hong Kong or Beijing would be a better use of your time. I've done the day trip to the James Bond Island and I didn't think that was worth it - adding in a stopover in a town just to do it isnt worthwhile. Going to the Great Wall, for example, would be a way better use of your time than going to see what is basically a rock formation.

How long does the Hong Kong - Beijing train take? I'm sure they've advanced since the Olympics but I took the train from Hong Kong to Shanghai and it was scheduled for around 24 hours but took even longer. Between delays, the time you have to arrive at the train station, etc assume assume close to 30 hours for that transit.

Hong Kong and Beijing were great cities and I could easily spend a week in either - I highly recommend slowing down!
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1921 posts
807 upvotes
Calgary
I recommend doing your transit in Kuala Lumpur instead of HK and doing a sleepover there. Last time I was in KK there wasn't a lot that I was interested in and the place just seemed chaotic. Granted that was a few years ago, but I think KL would be a better experience. Also, your schedule seems super compressed, take the 4 days and stretch out some cities.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: By not going to Great Wall = you did not go to china. Remember the Great Wall is one of the original 7 wonders of the world.
This is what my mom said oddly enough... lol
I'm looking to see if I can swing it though now.
demi2004 wrote: It's not expensive nor would it take a whole day. When I was there in December, it was cool walking around on the wall with pretty much no one else. One of the best things I've done in my life.
1/2 day is doable for me.
demi2004 wrote: Honestly, I'd take Bangkok any day instead of Phuket!
If you are into shopping, night market and MBK mall can take a whole day. From Bangkok you can can take a lot of day tours or short 1-4 days tours( eg. 2 Day tour to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat).
If you want to go to a beach, pick a smaller island.
I looked into Angor Wat... until I saw all the govt. warnings...
Nakuruin wrote: Just a heads up, you can't actually enter the "castles" of the forbidden city (i.e the individual buildings within the perimeter). Everything has a glass barrier and you can only look into the rooms from the outside or the doorway. It means you're always just outside of a "building" looking in. I understand why they have to do this obviously but it takes away from the experience.

I did the forbidden city in 3 hours or so i think, it was tiring for sure. I think i did the forbidden city + the great wall in one day which i don't recommend because depending on which section of the great wall you visit (there are many!), the climb can be quite arduous. However, well worth the hike.

If you're willing to wake up early, you can probably catch a ride to the great wall in the morning around 7am~, do the hike, and get back to the city for the forbidden city.
Thanks! I wasn't aware of this! I just figured all the areas were roped off but that you were still able to have a peak.
Funny thing is while I'm on holiday, it's the one time I don't mind getting up early. Maybe I'll see if I can do both in 1 day though.

Great wall in the am, and forbidden city in the pm?
But would there be enough time to check ou the Sky Temple as well?
I know Tiannamen is just a square so walking around it for a few mins is really all there is to do...
blind56 wrote: I recommend doing your transit in Kuala Lumpur instead of HK and doing a sleepover there. Last time I was in KK there wasn't a lot that I was interested in and the place just seemed chaotic. Granted that was a few years ago, but I think KL would be a better experience. Also, your schedule seems super compressed, take the 4 days and stretch out some cities.
I have no choice with KK. It's where I make the connection to continue on to Danum Valley the next day.
Trust me, I would rather not spend the night in KK! But this is the cheapest flight on HK Express (which sounds like the ryanair of Asia) to get to Danum Valley.
Sep 21, 2006
609 posts
193 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: By not going to Great Wall = you did not go to china. Remember the Great Wall is one of the original 7 wonders of the world.
great wall was ok, it's doesn't live up to the hype.
Dec 19, 2005
338 posts
240 upvotes
Ottawa
IceBlueShoes wrote:
Great wall in the am, and forbidden city in the pm?
But would there be enough time to check ou the Sky Temple as well?
I know Tiannamen is just a square so walking around it for a few mins is really all there is to do....
I'm not sure what you mean by sky temple - assuming it's the Temple of Heaven park, then no. You don't have time to do all three in a day. One day would work for Forbidden City and Temple of Heaven (do the temple in the morning) then the second day do the Great Wall.
Dec 19, 2005
338 posts
240 upvotes
Ottawa
bluexcrush wrote: great wall was ok, it's doesn't live up to the hype.
Which section did you go to? It's a big wall with lots of different sections - it's hard to dismiss the entire wall, especially if you went to one of the fully restored, sanitized sections closest to Beijing.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
meagicano wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by sky temple - assuming it's the Temple of Heaven park, then no. You don't have time to do all three in a day. One day would work for Forbidden City and Temple of Heaven (do the temple in the morning) then the second day do the Great Wall.
Sorry I did mean temple of heaven. Saw some pics online and wow, looks awesome.
I did try to look at the website online but it's a mess to say the least...$2 after conversion to enter? I know that's the basic entry fee but still...
In any case I don't really understand what the so called exhibits are that they try to explain on there...
Dec 19, 2005
338 posts
240 upvotes
Ottawa
IceBlueShoes wrote: Sorry I did mean temple of heaven. Saw some pics online and wow, looks awesome.
I did try to look at the website online but it's a mess to say the least...$2 after conversion to enter? I know that's the basic entry fee but still...
In any case I don't really understand what the so called exhibits are that they try to explain on there...
It was one of my favourite half days in Beijing. A lot of locals have passes so they use it as their backyard - people working out, playing music, playing with their kids, etc. There are sights to see - some buildings, exhibits, etc and the tickets were cheap enough but you wouldn't miss anything by buying the cheapest pass and then just walking around. Double check in case things have changed, but that was my experience.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
Alright so I've updated my travel plans a bit and removed Thailand and added in India(Delhi).
Because of the way the flights and such work out unfortunately I have 2 travel days from/via HK and Kota Kinabalu.
This also seems to give me 4 days in Delhi and Beijing.

But what is rushhour in Beijing?
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2090 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
IceBlueShoes wrote: Alright so I've updated my travel plans a bit and removed Thailand and added in India(Delhi).
Because of the way the flights and such work out unfortunately I have 2 travel days from/via HK and Kota Kinabalu.
This also seems to give me 4 days in Delhi and Beijing.

But what is rushhour in Beijing?
Rush hour is ALL DAY! Traffic is a nightmare in Beijing... and so is the air quality. Pack some masks.

Also, your itinerary doesn't factor in the 12 hour jet lag. The first day or two you might be totally trashed.

As for the HK-Beijing train you mentioned before... it's not worth it.
Jan 28, 2007
321 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
i did the cathay asia pass years ago and did the fly every other day thing to visit many countries. it was very tiring and felt like we were spending so much time going back and forth to airports. if possible, you may want to consider flying every 3rd day. Gives you a bit more time to rest your feet and see the place. Also, after visiting many big cities, its kind of nice to visit a smaller, quieter place just to get a bit of a break.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
wizy wrote: i did the cathay asia pass years ago and did the fly every other day thing to visit many countries. it was very tiring and felt like we were spending so much time going back and forth to airports. if possible, you may want to consider flying every 3rd day. Gives you a bit more time to rest your feet and see the place. Also, after visiting many big cities, its kind of nice to visit a smaller, quieter place just to get a bit of a break.
Its funny you mention that, because I actually took out the side trip to Thailand (price went up) so the only place I'm doing a day trip to is Yokohama which is a 40mins train ride out of Tokyo and Kota Kinabalu to Danum Valley (1hr flight both ways) and then a 7hr layover in HK on the way to Malaysia.
The rest will be 3-4 days in single place.

Speaking of the HK layover, do I have time to get out to see anything realistically? I'm thinking of just checking out the harbour and maybe a few shops if it'll give me about 3-4hours, but I"m not sure where exactly, I'd be going!
Just looking to wander and possibly pick up a suit, but again, not sure what is a fair price for something of EPH apparel quality.
I'll be in HK a week after to pick it up and have adjustments made and to look around HK some more as well.

I'm considering checking out the harbour, the boat ride, Victoria Peak and the giant buddha (Lo Pin? or is it Po Lin?) over 2 days. Those are my to do things as far as HK is concerned...
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
Xeros wrote: Rush hour is ALL DAY! Traffic is a nightmare in Beijing... and so is the air quality. Pack some masks.

Also, your itinerary doesn't factor in the 12 hour jet lag. The first day or two you might be totally trashed.

As for the HK-Beijing train you mentioned before... it's not worth it.
How many masks am I going to be needing? I'm picturing having to have a hazmat suit... haha

In all seriousness, a co-worker of mine did the train from Beijing to HK and throughout China about 3yrs ago and she said that it was fine. She didn't get a sleeper car and said that's one thing she regrets and recommended it. I'm mainly doing it to save money though. A flight to Beijing is going to be about $180 and then I need the hotel on top of that, this lets me save a bit and see a bit of the Chinese countryside.
This site explains how to do it and makes it seem fine as well:
http://www.seat61.com/China.htm#.U0ot-VePN1k

I've done trail travel a bit through Europe, Peru and here in Canada and honestly, I'm easy to please. I know it's slower but this will be my one chance to relax a bit and take it all in. Besides, it's also a chance to talk to some of the locals.

Actually now that this site has explained how to get the Great Wall alone and considering it's super cheap, I think I might try it out on my own. I thought it was a hell of a lot more complicated!
Jan 28, 2007
321 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
7 hour layover in hk will be quite rushed.

24 minute express train to central means you lose about an hour coming/going to the hk airport. and probably you need to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight. This leaves you with 4 hours. if you're trying to have a suit made, good tailors involve 3 visits (measurements, 1st fitting, final fitting). Best to contact in advance and schedule appointment, confirm they can make the suit within your timeline. i would say 4 hours is enough time for the fitting and a bit of shopping but rushing to see victoria peak won't be very relaxing. to get the most of a visit to the peak i would aim for a late afternoon visit just before sunset so you get to see both day and evening views when the lights come on.

Two days to see to check out the harbour, the boat ride, Victoria Peak and Lantau Island to see the giant buddha and po lin monastery sounds do-able.
you can either take the bus, or there's a cable car service. http://gohongkong.about.com/od/whattose ... ng_rev.htm

Have you thought about your luggage strategy since you're doing a lot of flying plus taking trains and subways and maybe taking buses in malaysia?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
wizy wrote: 7 hour layover in hk will be quite rushed.

24 minute express train to central means you lose about an hour coming/going to the hk airport. and probably you need to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight. This leaves you with 4 hours. if you're trying to have a suit made, good tailors involve 3 visits (measurements, 1st fitting, final fitting). Best to contact in advance and schedule appointment, confirm they can make the suit within your timeline. i would say 4 hours is enough time for the fitting and a bit of shopping but rushing to see victoria peak won't be very relaxing. to get the most of a visit to the peak i would aim for a late afternoon visit just before sunset so you get to see both day and evening views when the lights come on.

Two days to see to check out the harbour, the boat ride, Victoria Peak and Lantau Island to see the giant buddha and po lin monastery sounds do-able.
you can either take the bus, or there's a cable car service. http://gohongkong.about.com/od/whattose ... ng_rev.htm

Have you thought about your luggage strategy since you're doing a lot of flying plus taking trains and subways and maybe taking buses in malaysia?
Thanks!
Since I'll be going back to HK the following week, I"m not too worried about "doing it all" in 4-5hrs I have during my layover.
I think hanging around the harbour and checking out some shops sounds like probably the best idea.

My luggage strategy is to bring it all with me. lol
No subways out in the jungles of Malaysia, although it would be cool if the orangutans drove them. :p

I'm taking a bus and a plane once I get to kota kinabalu to get to the danum valley.

I'm confused about the buddha though. I get that the village needs the extra admission, but how does it work if the buddha is free? I mainly just want to check out the monks area/stuff, but am so confused...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)