Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
586 posts
121 upvotes

Asian Last Names Lead To Fewer Job Interviews, Still

Asian Last Names Lead To Fewer Job Interviews, Still
Reitz, who completed his undergraduate and graduate degrees in the United States and has conducted numerous studies comparing race relations in the two North American countries, says this kind of discrimination is prevalent in the U.S. as well. "It's a very intense belief that we're a multicultural country in the way that the U.S. is not. But it's not terribly different in the two countries," said Reitz.
he study found that job applicants in Canada with Asian names — names of Indian, Pakistani or Chinese origin — were 28 percent less likely to get called for an interview compared to applicants with Anglo names, even when all the qualifications were the same. Researchers used data from a previous study conducted in 2011 where they sent out 12,910 fictitious resumes in response to 3,225 job postings. The previous study, also in Canada, similarly found that applicants with Anglo first names and Asian last names didn't fare much better than applicants with Asian first and last names.
http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/ ... iews-still
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
39 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1412 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
It would depend on which sectors, hard to make conclusion without break down of sectors. Certain sectors are bias against certain groups. Are these front or back office?
Jan 29, 2017
71 posts
23 upvotes
raichu1 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 5:00 pm
It would depend on which sectors, hard to make conclusion without break down of sectors. Certain sectors are bias against certain groups. Are these front or back office?
This is very true. One would have to look at the initial study to understand the methodology and its limitations.
Nov 21, 2016
91 posts
78 upvotes
I can tell you from personal experience that most asians lack social and language skills.

However, they make up for it because asians are hard working, talented, and can speak chinese.
A Company who discriminates against hiring asians is idiotic and losing alot of talent IMO.

I am asian also but I have a really cool sounding name that sort of combos the first and last name together.

Btw I am not talented or very hard working. I actually put real asians to shame with how lazy I am.

But what people need to understand is that there are a billion asian people. We have an huge pool of talent and diversity. You can't discriminate against such a large group.
Banned
Sep 3, 2016
122 posts
56 upvotes
I have never worked for a company that discriminated against Asians. Sometimes they were actually preferred. I call this report b/s.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
6966 posts
2044 upvotes
Toronto
Is your name Kung Pao by any chance? Cause that's an awesome name!!
User699930 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 5:29 pm
I can tell you from personal experience that most asians lack social and language skills.

However, they make up for it because asians are hard working, talented, and can speak chinese.
A Company who discriminates against hiring asians is idiotic and losing alot of talent IMO.

I am asian also but I have a really cool sounding name that sort of combos the first and last name together.

Btw I am not talented or very hard working. I actually put real asians to shame with how lazy I am.

But what people need to understand is that there are a billion asian people. We have an huge pool of talent and diversity. You can't discriminate against such a large group.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1412 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
User699930 wrote:

Funny how you are fighting stereotypes with stereotypes. Everyone is different and everyone has been discriminated against including white males. A lot of back office finance jobs are staff by Asians while front end/ client facing are white ime. It depends on industries.

"A Company who discriminates against hiring based on race, sex, able is idiotic and losing alot of talent IMO."- fixed
Last edited by raichu1 on Mar 2nd, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 16, 2015
338 posts
79 upvotes
bluedealz wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 6:23 pm
I have never worked for a company that discriminated against Asians. Sometimes they were actually preferred. I call this report b/s.
This is true... I find whites are only good for politics...
Oct 18, 2014
707 posts
139 upvotes
New York City
User699930 wrote:

I agree with this. I'm on the other side of the fence where I will staff my Team with 99% Asians/Indians folks.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1013 posts
351 upvotes
Hamilton
Looks like they had the wong last name.
Spidey wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 10:59 am
You're 26, and your mom still buys your toilet paper.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
586 posts
121 upvotes
Language skills maybe, if they're new to the country. However, white people aren't held to the same standard in China or Korea or Japan. For instance, Asians in Canada are held to a much higher standard than a white Canadian in Korea. A white Canadian in Korea would be heavily praised and rewarded for being able to speak the native language, even if poorly to at all.

I think the social ability is just a stereotype. One mainly enforced by Hollywood (the Long Duk Dong stereotype).

I know a lot of extremely well-spoken, social Asian Americans. They're active, do lots of extra curricular activities, charming. Asians in the United States are overrepresented at Harvard Business School, Wharton, Berkeley, Yale.

In Canada, they're present at all major business schools and MBA programs. So, proper training isn't an argument either -- otherwise, then it's the fault of the Canadian schools.

Fun fact: Alan Yang is Harvard alumni. Aziz Ansari went to NYU. Both seem well-spoken and charismatic to me.

Last edited by Corner3 on Mar 3rd, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel