7931 posts
45 upvotes
Burnaby
i know most of the real japanese owned japanese restaurants are clean
washrooms are very clean too
they are more diciplined than the chinese restaurants ive been to

im taiwanese btw
i go to a lot of asian restaurants
but its not right to categorize most of the authentic japanese restaurants washrooms as dirty asian restaurant washrooms
Aug 24, 2003
887 posts
117 upvotes
gvrd
this thread reeks of CBC... :cry:
Jan 5, 2004
113 posts
agreed 100% asian restuarant washrooms are just plain nasty especially the chinese one. Worse ones are the china town ones.
Banned
Jan 12, 2004
1465 posts
2 upvotes
netspec wrote:well, the condition of the washrooms are also dependent on the patrons lack of manners...for example - spitting gum into the urinals, not flushing the urinals...ditto for the toilet...urinating on the floor/walls. I used to work in restaurants, asian, italian, french and when I talked to the cleaners/kitchen help, they simply told me that if the patrons show a lack of respect, then they deserve to use a nasty washroom. In a high class restaurant, you won't see this sort of thing because the patrons are more respectfull of the environment they are in.

this response is going to generate plenty of heat, but I am just telling how it is...
totally agree, the washrooms are a very good reflection of the class of patrons that frequent the place.. you got a really inexpensive restaurant and ur gonna attract people that don't look twice when lining themselves up with a toilet.. if you go to the keg, its a different story... chinese buffets sometimes have horrid bathrooms but frankie tomato's bathroom is above them all.

but chinese bathrooms are known for being crap.. do we really need a thread to cover this?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30493 posts
5035 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
barqy wrote:this thread reeks of CBC... :cry:
How do you figure that?

Most high end restaurants have an attendant there. What do think would happen if Chinese restaurants hire some old guy to hand out papeer towels and mints?

Don't ever accept a mint from someone in a bathroom.
Banned
Jul 13, 2003
5232 posts
5 upvotes
This thread is uneccessary. Everyone knows about asian restaurant washrooms. If you don't like it don't go back easy as that. They're not going to do anything about it and it's here to stay unfortunately. When you go to a restaurant you go with a purpose to eat. You don't go with the purpose of using their washroom.
"It's a case of mind over matter. I don't mind, and you don't matter" - Bret Hart
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
24 upvotes
Doom Dealer wrote:I disagree with your thoughts about the posting being racist.

I, being someone from HK, totally agree with the general trend of dirty washrooms at Chinese restaurants.

However, if you think those washrooms are bad, you haven't seen the public washrooms in HK. It's like entering a whole new dimension when you step through the doors of a public washroom in HK; the weather is usually hot in HK and so you have flies/mosquitoes festering everywhere in the washroom... I'm grossed-out already just thinking about it.

A lot has changed since the SARS scare and most public washrooms in HK are actually really clean now. They have a janitor sitting in the washroom sometimes and they're hourly checks. Overall, HK is much cleaner now.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5242 posts
902 upvotes
In my opinion, I think that most chinese restaurants are owned by chinese people that haven't been here that long. Chinese food restaurants is a business that sells itself. You can find a dumpy little restaurant that a lot of people go to, because the food is good. I think the chinese people that own the restaurants, don't have good business skills. Don't look at things like keeping the place clean will keep people happy and coming back. They just worry about what they are there for, cooking your food, and making sure the food is good.
So they don't really think, "oh we should keep the bathroooms clean because it will keep people happy and coming back."
Dec 24, 2003
520 posts
1 upvote
Interesting! The only clean Chinese restaurant restroom I've seen is a Chinese restaurant was run by a Muslim guy!

And the nastiest restroom I have used was in China. I don't even want to remember.

Generally, except for Thailand, I find public/restaurant restrooms in Asian countries appalling. Public restrooms in most other countries in the west are pretty bad too. I have to agree that it's also partly a reflection on the patrons as well.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1229 upvotes
Sauga
etcbq wrote:Interesting! The only clean Chinese restaurant restroom I've seen is a Chinese restaurant was run by a Muslim guy!
Was that in the Toronto area? If so, which restaurant?