• Oct 18th, 2017 2:44 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
Just to touch on the speed again. I'm not saying you should work faster, I'm saying you need to work more efficiently, if that makes sense?
I'm not fast because I'm running, or rushing, I'm fast because my technique and method allows me maximum efficiency.
I agree, don't hurt yourself, and don't cut corners. I'm very careful to work safely, my health is my career, lol :)

The industry standard is whole house clean for every service, unless specifically requested otherwise.
Especially for flat rates. Really, a bedroom only takes 5-15 min max, so why not? Plus, the whole point of service is so the client has everything completely done, and can just come home and enjoy :)
Mar 29, 2016
23 posts
1 upvote
Ah, okay, thanks for clarifying. Yes, that definitely makes sense. I wonder if there are ways I could work more efficiently. Maybe I'll PM you about that.

I didn't realize industry standard was a whole house clean, even with weekly. (I wonder why my dad's does the 2nd floor only every other week, as she seems quite experienced/professional?) Anyway, I was thinking of calling some cleaning companies to see what their typical weekly clean would include, but you're saying you already know for a fact that this is what most cleaners out there do?

Also - good point, bedrooms don't take long. Do you also change sheets and bedding though every week? Making beds doesn't take long but I do find that changing the sheets and making the entire bed to be quite time consuming. I feel doing that every two weeks seems reasonable as they don't get dirty that quickly, in just a week's time. What do you think? My clients are all happy with this (the few that do request bed-changing).

*PS. Speaking of "whole house clean". A couple of my clients have three-storey houses, but they rarely use the third floor/basement so they told me not to clean it. I'm assuming a "whole house clean" typically refers to the first and second floor, and only occasionally the third floor/basement if specifically requested.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
custard wrote:
Dec 11th, 2016 10:15 pm
Ah, okay, thanks for clarifying. Yes, that definitely makes sense. I wonder if there are ways I could work more efficiently. Maybe I'll PM you about that.

I didn't realize industry standard was a whole house clean, even with weekly. (I wonder why my dad's does the 2nd floor only every other week, as she seems quite experienced/professional?) Anyway, I was thinking of calling some cleaning companies to see what their typical weekly clean would include, but you're saying you already know for a fact that this is what most cleaners out there do?

Also - good point, bedrooms don't take long. Do you also change sheets and bedding though every week? Making beds doesn't take long but I do find that changing the sheets and making the entire bed to be quite time consuming. I feel doing that every two weeks seems reasonable as they don't get dirty that quickly, in just a week's time. What do you think? My clients are all happy with this (the few that do request bed-changing).

*PS. Speaking of "whole house clean". A couple of my clients have three-storey houses, but they rarely use the third floor/basement so they told me not to clean it. I'm assuming a "whole house clean" typically refers to the first and second floor, and only occasionally the third floor/basement if specifically requested.
I make/tidy beds, but do not change sheets or bedding. Most services commercial and private don't change bedding, usually it's special request, and an extra fee (usually $5-10 per bed). Think about stripping and changing a bed, that's 5 min to strip, remove pillow cases, and put into the laundry basket, and then putting on fitted sheet, flat sheet, Blanket, and bedspread, pillow cases, and extras like throw pillows or foot blankets, probably another 10 min. Multiply by 3 beds, that's a minimum of 45 min of service time gone!

Basements aren't part of "whole house" service, and it's an extra fee as well.

You can look at most commercial cleaning websites, and they list what they cover each service. Most (professional) private cleaners do the same. (Pretty much every private cleaner I know started at commercial companies, before branching out on their own, so the training is standard.)
Weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly service though is always the same coverage. Probably your dad doesn't complain about his cleaner skipping rooms, so they like getting out of there faster? Does he pay less on the "skip" weeks?

Why would some one pay the same rate every week, when every other week you are skipping rooms?
The only way that makes sense for a client, is if you don't charge as much on the "skip" week.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1622 posts
155 upvotes
Kitchener
I've an upcoming problem and hope you can help. I've a rental unit that my daughter and her husband would like move into. The problem is that the current tenants have a dog. I'm not concerned about any damage to the unit as the tenants are very good. It's the dog hair/dander/smell that my son in law is highly allergic to.
I'm thinking that cleaning the ducts and furnace, washing and painting all walls and ceiling, washing all floors (no carpet), cleaning windows, cleaning all cupboards and fixtures.

Have I missed anything? Is this something you'd like to tackle? It's not happening until September if at all. Would you do this or you know of a company that would do something like this deep cleaning? I'll take care of the painting etc., just want some guidance as to process, how long it would take and a guess of the cost.

It's a smallish three bedroom about 1400 sq. ft. in Kitchener.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sam
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
Rinse the floor vents, that's not usually covered in a duct cleaning. I would also get the window sills, and any tracks for sliding doors, they can accumulate a lot!
You'll want to take care of the furnace, ducts, and painting/renos before having your cleaner come in.
Unfortunately, I no longer do move-in/outs unless they're my current clients. My schedule is just too full, the only time slots I have is their own, lol!
Try asking some of the other tenants, you would be surprised how many people have cleaners, they may have someone the can recommend:)
You will be looking around $250-300 for a decent cleaner. Make sure they double vacuum as well. (vacuum, mop, then vacuum again)
Nov 11, 2006
430 posts
121 upvotes
Hi petitallegra,

How much would it cost to complete a move-in/move-out cleaning for a 3 bedroom townhouse, 2 bathrooms, and approximately 1100 square feet. (Including cleaning of fridge and oven.) Let me know if you need more information to provide a more accurate quotation.

Thanks,
CanRulez
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
If you are looking for a full move in clean, with appliances, and interior cabinetry, etc, you would be looking at the $230-250 range, as long as the previous owners left it in decent condition. If they weren't though, and their is build up on tubs, filthy cabinets, very dusty, garbage, ect then expect it closer to the $300 range.
Total hours would be in the 4-6 hour range.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4072 posts
414 upvotes
Barrys Bay
Is there anyway to bring back or temporarily shine( lasts more than a few minutes ) on a hardwood floor.

Previous owners/tenants did not care for floor, so when washed and wet has a nice shine, but when dries looks dull.

Have tried rejouvanant and bona and was not happy with results.

I know there must be products, as even dull cars if you polish and wax will shine for a week or so.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10918 posts
1487 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Has the OP ever used a UV light?
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
theguyz wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 11:32 am
Is there anyway to bring back or temporarily shine( lasts more than a few minutes ) on a hardwood floor.

Previous owners/tenants did not care for floor, so when washed and wet has a nice shine, but when dries looks dull.

Have tried rejouvanant and bona and was not happy with results.

I know there must be products, as even dull cars if you polish and wax will shine for a week or so.
Sounds like the polyurethane finish has worn off, or worn down. They possibly didn't use proper floor care. Bona is just about the highest oil concentration available, so if that's absorbing into the floor, then it's time for a floor refinish. The shine on wood from the polyurethane, not the wood itself. Some floors have different sheens, the new trend is for the matte finish polyurethane on the floors.
The only other thing you can try, is Holloway house quick shine. You squirt in on, spread with mop, and don't rinse. But, I'll warn you, it leaves a residue, so as people walk on it, their feet might stick a bit, and it's still only a temporary solution, the finish wears off within a few days of traffic.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
Becks wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 3:55 pm
Has the OP ever used a UV light?
No, but that would be cool! The only UV lights I see are the ones in the toothbrush holders :)
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4072 posts
414 upvotes
Barrys Bay
petitallegra wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 11:50 pm
Sounds like the polyurethane finish has worn off, or worn down. They possibly didn't use proper floor care. Bona is just about the highest oil concentration available, so if that's absorbing into the floor, then it's time for a floor refinish. The shine on wood from the polyurethane, not the wood itself. Some floors have different sheens, the new trend is for the matte finish polyurethane on the floors.
The only other thing you can try, is Holloway house quick shine. You squirt in on, spread with mop, and don't rinse. But, I'll warn you, it leaves a residue, so as people walk on it, their feet might stick a bit, and it's still only a temporary solution, the finish wears off within a few days of traffic.
Thanks for the reply.

That's the problem having with rejivanate is the residue and takiness on floor,

If I just wash floor with vinegar and water It has a shine that lasts a few days, but once i used bona etc....the shine just disappears within hours.

Was thinking too much build up of past cleaning products. '

Maybe I'm just being anal and flooring only has a slight shine finish to begin with.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
theguyz wrote:
Jan 13th, 2017 2:47 pm
Thanks for the reply.

That's the problem having with rejivanate is the residue and takiness on floor,

If I just wash floor with vinegar and water It has a shine that lasts a few days, but once i used bona etc....the shine just disappears within hours.

Was thinking too much build up of past cleaning products. '

Maybe I'm just being anal and flooring only has a slight shine finish to begin with.
Don't use vinegar on wood floors, it's very acidic and drying! Use diluted Castille soap, or a low temp steam mop with distilled water. A good commercial cleaner is Armstrong floor cleaner concentrate. I would use this at double the dilution that is on the instructions.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10918 posts
1487 upvotes
City of Vancouver
petitallegra wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 11:52 pm
No, but that would be cool! The only UV lights I see are the ones in the toothbrush holders :)
I believe the UV light can be used for locating the source of pet urine odors.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Jan 12, 2017
200 posts
225 upvotes
ON
petitallegra wrote:
Nov 4th, 2016 9:40 am
Unfortunately, I only do move in/outs for my regular clients. My schedule is very full. I only have one bi-weekly spot open right now, and it wouldnt be a big enough time slot for what you need. Good luck with your house sale, and great idea to get it cleaned! Many of my clients have remarked how their realtor has told potential buyers that their house is professionally cleaned on a regular schedule, and that buyers really responded to that.
thanks for that tip
make sure there is No Wynne in Ontario by June 2018

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)