• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2017 2:44 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 18, 2007
103 posts
13 upvotes
London
Hi petitallegra, thanks for hosting this thread!

I have a two bedroom apartment that I plan to rent out on airbnb and manage from a distance. I'd like to get it cleaned between tenants. It will be rented out to young professionals. I hope to have two-week turnovers for each bedroom. Assuming routine usage without any disasters, how much should I offer to pay per clean between tenants?
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
Steaky wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 1:48 pm
Hi petitallegra, thanks for hosting this thread!

I have a two bedroom apartment that I plan to rent out on airbnb and manage from a distance. I'd like to get it cleaned between tenants. It will be rented out to young professionals. I hope to have two-week turnovers for each bedroom. Assuming routine usage without any disasters, how much should I offer to pay per clean between tenants?
If you are looking for the whole unit to be cleaned, incl. bathroom, kitchen, floors, etc. $100 per clean would be a fair price, and get you a regular cleaner. That might be good as well to attract a long term cleaner, so if any "cleaning" emergency comes up with tenants, they could come in between, if you are not available. (Such as a party, cooking disaster, etc.)
Anything cheaper, then won't care for your property the way you will need, especially if they think you're not around to monitor them often.
Jul 18, 2017
1 posts
Petitallegra, I stumbled upon this thread while looking for a new cleaner. Loving you already after sifting through your posts. After I post this, I'm going to finish reading the entire thread.

I've had my share of good and bad cleaners. A few left after they had babies.

Another was too ambitious with her cleaning to the point of destroying my home despite my pleas to be gentle. I stayed home one day and for 4 hours, I swear all I heard was banging and more banging. I thought she was having a temper tantrum with the vacuum. But at least I found out why I was getting deep dents all over my floor.

I've been tolerating a mediocre cleaner but for the first time ever, I'm encountering possible trust issues. Won't get into details here.

If you clean in the Etobicoke area (near the Kingsway), we are a middle aged couple trying to embrace a minimalist lifestyle looking for a reliable cleaner to hire for the long-term. No kids, no pets except for occasionally cat sitting.
Banned
Jul 18, 2017
53 posts
26 upvotes
Hi Petitallegra

Thanks for all the info on this thread! Could you help me out with a few things please

1) where to buythe white grout paint stick
2) what's the best way to clean nasty oven racks? I saw on YouTube to put a towel down in the tub (to protect the tub) and soak the oven racks in laundry detergent
3) do you know how I can clean the exterior of white vinyl windows that are black because they've never been cleaned? I tried straight vinegar.
4) I've seen baking soda and vinegar do wonders on the inside glass in an oven. what product do you recommend for the sides?
5) what's a good floor cleaner for tile that has never been mopped?
6) how to clean a bathtub that's pretty black at the bottom
7) would you do you do move in/out cleanings in Hamilton & Ancaster with additional compensation for travel time?

thank you
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
mrsmeowser wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 12:21 pm
Petitallegra, I stumbled upon this thread while looking for a new cleaner. Loving you already after sifting through your posts. After I post this, I'm going to finish reading the entire thread.

I've had my share of good and bad cleaners. A few left after they had babies.

Another was too ambitious with her cleaning to the point of destroying my home despite my pleas to be gentle. I stayed home one day and for 4 hours, I swear all I heard was banging and more banging. I thought she was having a temper tantrum with the vacuum. But at least I found out why I was getting deep dents all over my floor.

I've been tolerating a mediocre cleaner but for the first time ever, I'm encountering possible trust issues. Won't get into details here.

If you clean in the Etobicoke area (near the Kingsway), we are a middle aged couple trying to embrace a minimalist lifestyle looking for a reliable cleaner to hire for the long-term. No kids, no pets except for occasionally cat sitting.
Yikes! Rough cleaners are the worst, I find they usually they come from a commercial clean background, and daylight as private home cleaners when they need extra cash. I've worked with cleaners who literally use the vacuum cleaner like a mace around furniture and baseboards!

I'm unfortunately not in the GTA anymore, I'm moving to the sticks ;)
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
1) where to buythe white grout paint stick

I found it at home hardware and Home Depot before

2) what's the best way to clean nasty oven racks? I saw on YouTube to put a towel down in the tub (to protect the tub) and soak the oven racks in laundry detergent

Don't do the tub method!!! Not worth ruining your tub! There are 2 methods: fast way is to put them on cardboard in your yard, and use oven cleaner foam. Let it sit for 10 minutes, it should come right off.
You can also use a steam mop on them. Same idea, lay them on cardboard outside, and don't put the mop head on your steam mop, and steam directly. Wipes right off!
If you don't have a steam mop, you can do the slow method, where you sprinkle your baking soda and spray with vinegar, then cover with a heated towel for about 5 minutes. This method works great, but sometimes needs 2 applications depending on build up.

3) do you know how I can clean the exterior of white vinyl windows that are black because they've never been cleaned? I tried straight vinegar.
Vinyl can absorb stain, so there is a chance the black is permanently on the surface, which I suspect is the case, if the vinegar isn't making headway. In this case, I recommend a commercial product like vim, which can get into the surface more effectively.

4) I've seen baking soda and vinegar do wonders on the inside glass in an oven. what product do you recommend for the sides?
Same :) but I use acetic vinegar (cleaning vinegar) in my mixes.

5) what's a good floor cleaner for tile that has never been mopped?

Lol, I'd go with a 3:1 ratio of cleaning vinegar, to water, with a few generous squirts of dawn dish soap!
That would be a scary floor to see!

6) how to clean a bathtub that's pretty black at the bottom

If there is a lot of build up, again, I recommend starting with a commercial cleaner, to get it back to neutral, then using natural methods to maintain afterwards. Comet does a great job for this type of water related buildup. Vim can work too, but lots more scrubbing will be needed. You'll want to scrub, let it sit, add more product, and then re-scrub before rinsing.

7) would you do you do move in/out cleanings in Hamilton & Ancaster with additional compensation for travel time?

Unfortunately I am moving out of the GTA, and will not be able to service anything around here anymore :( but thanks for thinking of me!

thank you
[/quote]
Banned
Jul 18, 2017
53 posts
26 upvotes
many thanks for sharing your professional knowledge and trade secrets.
Banned
Jul 18, 2017
53 posts
26 upvotes
can I ask one more question?
what is the best product and most efficient way to clean out a fridge between tenants?
and also stuck on stuff in the freezer like bread crumbs?
is it easier if I were to leave the fridge unplugged for awhile?
thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2722 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
How to clean green mould from corners of washroom window frame.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
MichaelJ453 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 10:42 am
can I ask one more question?
what is the best product and most efficient way to clean out a fridge between tenants?
and also stuck on stuff in the freezer like bread crumbs?
is it easier if I were to leave the fridge unplugged for awhile?
thanks
Fridges from rental units can be difficult. I don't recommend unplugging, as it will get smelly very fast!
For the freezer, I use very hot cloths, with water and let it sit for a minute. Then spray with vinegar, and use another hot cloth to wipe. You may need a nylon scrub brush as well. For sticky frozen stuff, like popsicles, etc, use a commercial cleaner, like vim, to make sure its sanitizing too.
I usually use tea tree oil in my cleaner as well, to help if the fridge/freezer is smelly.
For interiors, I pull every part off, one section at a time, starting from the top shelf. A simple all purpose cleaner, and a scrub sponge usually does the trick. I do this in the kitchen sink, so I can rinse everything well.
It usually takes me 30-45 minutes to scrub out a fridge, if it's already empty. Very time consuming!
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
bsobaid wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 1:46 pm
How to clean green mould from corners of washroom window frame.
That green mound is best tackled with a 2 step process:
1st, use either a steam mop, or microwave a cup of half water/half vinegar until it's at boiling point. (But not boiling yet)
Pour over the area, cover with a cloth or towel, and let sit for a few minutes.
Remove cloth, re-spray with vinegar, and use a nylon bristled brush to scrub the area. Rinse with water and wipe clean.
You may need to do the process twice, depending on build up. Use an old toothbrush or q tips to get into tiny areas.
Banned
Jul 18, 2017
53 posts
26 upvotes
from the lady who has seen it all... those damn popsicles!

thanks a bunch!
Aug 31, 2012
103 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for all your advice petitallegra. I am interviewing 3 cleaners tonight so I am going back through this thread for some tips. Will post about my outcome. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10912 posts
1485 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Are there any situations where u use bleach?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
Becks wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 4:39 pm
Are there any situations where u use bleach?
Very rarely. I have found over the years, that there are so many better alternatives to bleach. What drives me crazy is when people use bleach to clean out the things like sinks and toilets. It's sort of like killing a fly with a rifle. It's just overkill! Plus bleach is a corrosive. That means the more often you are using it, the more degraded the surface gets that you're using it on. Which then opens it up from more issues like mold, which means more cleaning more often. It's not a good cycle to get into.
That being said, I will use bleach for certain laundry applications....and never personal laundry.