• Nov 29th, 2017 2:31 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1026 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
Hi, what can I use to clean those really hard to clean red/brown hard water stains from a bathtub? Also what really tackles soap scum on tiles?
And lastly... do you know of a thorough cleaning lady in or near the East Gwillimbury area?
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
DIrty-D wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 11:40 pm
Hi, what can I use to clean those really hard to clean red/brown hard water stains from a bathtub? Also what really tackles soap scum on tiles?
And lastly... do you know of a thorough cleaning lady in or near the East Gwillimbury area?
Can you clarify where the red stains are? On the caulking, near the drain, or on the actual tub?
For soap scum, here's my cleaning lady secret:
I bought a scotch bright dish scrubber. (You know, the cheap one you can fill the handle with dish soap, and the green corse sponge.)
I have it filled with 2 parts cleaning vinegar, 1 part dawn dish soap, and a few drops of tea tree oil, shaken up well.
I keep it in the shower with my shampoos etc. At the end of my shower, I just give everything a quick scrub before rinsing and getting out.
It may take a few showers before you've got the build up off.
After that, it's just maintaining the clean. I usually give everything a scrub after every 2-3 showers, I never have build up, and the shower always is fresh!
As for East Gwillimbury, to be honest, I don't even know where that is?
Jan 29, 2009
9 posts
Thanks so much for this great long-running thread petitallegra!
How do you deal with pet hair and/or long human hair? I find it won't stay on the microfibre cloth and ends up back on the counter when I am trying to wipe down the bathroom or kitchen.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25873 posts
2878 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
VESTEGAARD wrote:
Jan 13th, 2017 4:04 pm
you use this on the black spots in a bathroom as well? Some are on the caulked parts
Invest in a $40 steam cleaner.
Jun 6, 2008
257 posts
22 upvotes
Petitallegra, I can't express how impressed I am with your knowledge and willingness to share your wealth of information. You are truly a gem. Crazy knowledgeable.
I wish you were moving to the sticks near my sticks. Actually I am moving soon to farther/ more sticks.
Please please please move near me.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2003
2015 posts
42 upvotes
That's actually a good idea! It seems fun enough that we could get the kids to do (even a half-arsed) once over before they get out.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
aphid717 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 12:36 am
Thanks so much for this great long-running thread petitallegra!
How do you deal with pet hair and/or long human hair? I find it won't stay on the microfibre cloth and ends up back on the counter when I am trying to wipe down the bathroom or kitchen.
You need a split micro-fibre cloth :) You probably have a smooth one...or are using dryer sheets with your cleaning cloths.
That's a common mistake people make, when laundering micro-fibers. That, and fabric softener!
You can tell it's a good split micro-fibre, if it feels really icky and catchy on your finger tips!
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
babinni wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 11:14 am
Petitallegra, I can't express how impressed I am with your knowledge and willingness to share your wealth of information. You are truly a gem. Crazy knowledgeable.
I wish you were moving to the sticks near my sticks. Actually I am moving soon to farther/ more sticks.
Please please please move near me.
Thanks! Actually I'm in the sticks now too! Relocated to Eastern Ontario :)
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
Qube wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 10:38 pm
That's actually a good idea! It seems fun enough that we could get the kids to do (even a half-arsed) once over before they get out.
Absolutely they could! They can also use it in the sink, after they brush their teeth :) It keeps the toothpaste globs from gluing to everything!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3558 posts
1407 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
petitallegra wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 1:52 am
Thanks! Actually I'm in the sticks now too! Relocated to Eastern Ontario :)
Are you anywhere close to Ottawa?
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
Gee wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 5:57 am
It is just north of Newmarket.
I don't know anyone that way, but if I hear of anyone, I'll let you know :)
Feb 4, 2010
431 posts
111 upvotes
I have read through the first 3-4 pages and you wrote something about natural soaps especially ones containing coconut oil can leave harden soap scum. I make my own soaps using olive and coconut oil I don't necessarily have problems with soap scum because I clean my tub regularly but now it's got me thinking about any impact on the drain...wondering if it eventually clog it. Have you heard or come across anything with that respect? I'm thinking maybe I should through boil water, vinegar and baking soda down the drain every so often to unclog any build up.

Also curious as to why you use tea tree oil over other antifungal EO like rosemary - just preference? I often use tea tree oil too (as well as rosemary and couple others) but I was wondering if there was a specific reason you use that over others.

Do you make your own laundry detergent as well?