None
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
Jazmina wrote:
Aug 26th, 2017 7:47 pm
I have read through the first 3-4 pages and you wrote something about natural soaps especially ones containing coconut oil can leave harden soap scum. I make my own soaps using olive and coconut oil I don't necessarily have problems with soap scum because I clean my tub regularly but now it's got me thinking about any impact on the drain...wondering if it eventually clog it. Have you heard or come across anything with that respect? I'm thinking maybe I should through boil water, vinegar and baking soda down the drain every so often to unclog any build up.

Also curious as to why you use tea tree oil over other antifungal EO like rosemary - just preference? I often use tea tree oil too (as well as rosemary and couple others) but I was wondering if there was a specific reason you use that over others.

Do you make your own laundry detergent as well?
Yes, in fact with the popularity of coconut right now, the drain is often forgotten. I run straight cleaning vinegar (acidic vinegar) fairly often down my drains, to freshen, and reduce build up.
I always drop a few drops of tea tree oil down drains after a cleaning, as well.

Tea tree oil in cleaning has so many benefits, it's antimicrobial, antiviral, antifungal, and antiseptic. Not only that, but it is a natural deodorizer, and safe on most surfaces.
While rosemary, and other disinfectant oils are great, they don't deodorize, and are not nessesarily anti fungal, which for floors (plantar warts) is very important. They can also leave residue, so when used in all purpose mixes, can leave surfaces with a haze. not nice after a cleaning! Also, smells very fresh, and as an added bonus, I can usually get it cheaper ;)

I experimented with laundry soaps in the past, but to be honest, I have never found anything that works well enough for the kids, and boy, Gain sure smells great ;)
Aug 31, 2012
103 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Maplesugar25 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 8:09 am
Thanks for all your advice petitallegra. I am interviewing 3 cleaners tonight so I am going back through this thread for some tips. Will post about my outcome. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I ended up not choosing any of the cleaners. For various reasons, they did not fit. So I decided to look for someone to do a deep clean then work on weekly cleaning later. I found someone who was really great and did a thorough job, even things I didn't mention. I gave her a good tip! But after she left a noticed a 10 inch deep gash in the hardwood floor. I was really surprised that she didn't mention it. I wouldn't have been upset about it because I know things happen, and she might have done it when she was pulling away the couch from the wall to get to the baseboards

petitallegra - would you have mentioned the damage to the homeowner or wait until they noticed it

others - would you expect your cleaner to tell you and how would you handle it after the fact

I had planned to use her for regular cleans but now wonder if I can trust her if she hides things. I don't know maybe she thought I wouldn't pay her but all I want is to know when things happen so I can deal with it at the time.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
Maplesugar25 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 8:41 am
I ended up not choosing any of the cleaners. For various reasons, they did not fit. So I decided to look for someone to do a deep clean then work on weekly cleaning later. I found someone who was really great and did a thorough job, even things I didn't mention. I gave her a good tip! But after she left a noticed a 10 inch deep gash in the hardwood floor. I was really surprised that she didn't mention it. I wouldn't have been upset about it because I know things happen, and she might have done it when she was pulling away the couch from the wall to get to the baseboards

petitallegra - would you have mentioned the damage to the homeowner or wait until they noticed it

others - would you expect your cleaner to tell you and how would you handle it after the fact

I had planned to use her for regular cleans but now wonder if I can trust her if she hides things. I don't know maybe she thought I wouldn't pay her but all I want is to know when things happen so I can deal with it at the time.
So, I'm not sure why she was moving furniture in the first place? That's a huge no-no! We never move furniture, for exactly those reasons, damage and personal injury. Now if a client moves it ahead of time, then that's no problem, but I NEVER move anything larger than a footstool, or heavier than a dining chair.
She should have told you about the damage, but really, she should NEVER be moving anything in the first place.
I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt, and think maybe she didn't see it, but regardless you should let her know. See how she handles it. If she's genuinely surprised and apologetic, it could be a simple mistake, and you may still want to keep her. But if you don't get a sense that she cares, move on to someone new. (Keep in mind, good cleaners are really hard to find, you'll have to decide if you think you can find someone new)
But, make sure you re-iterate not to move furniture!!!!! That's liability on you, the home owner, if she's injured!
Aug 31, 2012
103 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
I had asked her to do the baseboards but only where she had access but she might have been zealous to do a good job and decided to move it. I find it hard to believe that she missed it. It is a very deep gash and I noticed it immediately when I walked into the room. She would have heard it scraping. Now I have to find something to fix it ...
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
Maplesugar25 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 5:07 am
I had asked her to do the baseboards but only where she had access but she might have been zealous to do a good job and decided to move it. I find it hard to believe that she missed it. It is a very deep gash and I noticed it immediately when I walked into the room. She would have heard it scraping. Now I have to find something to fix it ...
Well, that stinks then :(
Is there a language barrier? I'm holding out hope that she maybe mis-understood you wanted all the baseboards done, hence moving the furniture.
But, any way you shake it, she's not a good fit, if she's damaging your floors. Cut her loose, find someone who will listen closely to instructions, and be more honest about any issues that arise.
Jul 29, 2013
377 posts
142 upvotes
Are you sure the cleaner scraped your floor? Could it have been hubby or one of the children?
Aug 31, 2012
103 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
petitallegra wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 10:13 pm
Well, that stinks then :(
Is there a language barrier? I'm holding out hope that she maybe mis-understood you wanted all the baseboards done, hence moving the furniture.
But, any way you shake it, she's not a good fit, if she's damaging your floors. Cut her loose, find someone who will listen closely to instructions, and be more honest about any issues that arise.
No language barrier. She speaks perfect english and so do I. I think she wanted to impress with a good job. Now I am hesitant to let her go since the other cleaners I had interviewed previously seem like it is going to be difficult to find someone else.
profile wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 10:47 pm
Are you sure the cleaner scraped your floor? Could it have been hubby or one of the children?
She was the only one in the house. I saw it immediately when I came in and she was packing up. But from a distance I thought it was a mop thread that had caught on the leg of the sofa. After she left I looked more closely and saw the scratch. NO way she could have missed it.

Now I have to figure out what to do...
Dec 28, 2010
290 posts
95 upvotes
... you posted some advice about mould on the white caulking in bathrooms but can't find it any more. It's pretty severe (the mould) and I put in some serious elbow grease but some of it is still there. Would love you insight :)
Actions speak louder than words
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
VESTEGAARD wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 8:16 am
... you posted some advice about mould on the white caulking in bathrooms but can't find it any more. It's pretty severe (the mould) and I put in some serious elbow grease but some of it is still there. Would love you insight :)
So you probably put in maximum effort, and are still seeing black/grey remaining. The thing about mold is it actually doesn't take very much to scrub it off surfaces, because that's where really likes to grow. However what most people don't realize is that mold actually can stain. Just like if you spill beet juice on your new white sweater, no amount of bleach can actually fully pull the stain out once it's inside those fibers. Mold will get into the caulking, and especially grout, and then once it's actually sanitized and clean, you still may see residue have the color left behind unfortunately.
This is why it's especially important to make sure that you're in maintaining these surfaces regularly, so the mold can't grow in the first place. Or also that your installer is using a high-quality material and good technique when they grout your tiles and caulk the edges.

For one last shot, try this:
Hot, hot water, on a towel, held over the area, for about 5 minutes. (Or a steamer is even better!)
No -bleach VIM on a scotch brite scrub sponge, give it a good scrub, be generous with the cleanser.
Hot, hot water to rinse.

Good luck, that black mold is my nemesis!!!
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
Maplesugar25 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 8:02 am
No language barrier. She speaks perfect english and so do I. I think she wanted to impress with a good job. Now I am hesitant to let her go since the other cleaners I had interviewed previously seem like it is going to be difficult to find someone else.

She was the only one in the house. I saw it immediately when I came in and she was packing up. But from a distance I thought it was a mop thread that had caught on the leg of the sofa. After she left I looked more closely and saw the scratch. NO way she could have missed it.

Now I have to figure out what to do...
Well. That's awful..... really, what a pain. It sounds like she was eager to please, and clearly while she's a thorough cleaner, she's never been trained. Rookie mistake to move furniture for sure!
While normally I'm always in favor of keeping a thorough cleaner, to me that's a big red flag that she's doing unsafe practices.
As much as I say getting rid of a good cleaner is crazy, especially because they are so difficult to come by, I would feel very apprehensive about her in my home if she's not aware of the common practices of cleaners. What if she decides to dust a ceiling fan on a ladder and falls? Unfortunately that would be your liability on the line, and your house insurance!
Are you willing to be very clear in your instructions about what she is and isn't allowed to do? That could be another option for you. Maybe if you spell it out to her, it could work? (No moving furniture, no cleaning on ladders, no bleach, no laundry services, etc) if she wants to make you happy, she may just need some guidance.
Jan 15, 2013
764 posts
99 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm almost done my renovations and I want to get rid of the dust. I thought of buying an air mover but I believe this wont get rid of all the dust. Any tips?

I have 2 shop vacs and 2 air purifiers at my disposal, but I know this wont do much. Not sure if I should be using rags (dry or not), mops, etc. I plan to get all my ducts clean when it's all done but since my main floor is about finished I want to get this started.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1306 posts
235 upvotes
looking for recommendations for north Oakville.
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
200 posts
119 upvotes
Hi petitallegra,

Hoping to get your advice on one issue. My tenants left me with a ton of these little specs the glass on the sliding closet door. I have no idea what it is but it's everywhere.
I tried windex and newspaper and that didn't work. I couldn't even really scratch it off with my nail.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Images
  • IMG_2287.JPG