[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
cdndeal wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 8:17 am
Hi petitallegra,

Hoping to get your advice on one issue. My tenants left me with a ton of these little specs the glass on the sliding closet door. I have no idea what it is but it's everywhere.
I tried windex and newspaper and that didn't work. I couldn't even really scratch it off with my nail.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks!
They've actually damaged the silver foil behind the glass. There are 2 ways of doing that, either their hangers were banging against the back of the door, or something was bouncing against the front of the glass sharply. (Like a tennis ball) check the back side of the door, you may see the evidence....
Either way, that's permanent damage :( and those are not cheap, I'm sorry that's happened to your property!
Banned
Aug 10, 2017
200 posts
118 upvotes
petitallegra wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 11:18 pm
They've actually damaged the silver foil behind the glass. There are 2 ways of doing that, either their hangers were banging against the back of the door, or something was bouncing against the front of the glass sharply. (Like a tennis ball) check the back side of the door, you may see the evidence....
Either way, that's permanent damage :( and those are not cheap, I'm sorry that's happened to your property!
It seems impossible to clean. I'll leave it for the next round of renters. Thanks for your help!
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1376 posts
161 upvotes
Is there some sort of routine for cleaning houses that are recently built or renovated? Thank you.
Apr 10, 2017
329 posts
81 upvotes
I'm almost done my renovations and I want to get rid of the dust. I thought of buying an air mover but I believe this wont get rid of all the dust. Any tips?

I have 2 shop vacs and 2 air purifiers at my disposal, but I know this wont do much. Not sure if I should be using rags (dry or not), mops, etc. I plan to get all my ducts clean when it's all done but since my main floor is about finished I want to get this started.

Thanks
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
Biscayne05 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 12:12 am
I'm almost done my renovations and I want to get rid of the dust. I thought of buying an air mover but I believe this wont get rid of all the dust. Any tips?

I have 2 shop vacs and 2 air purifiers at my disposal, but I know this wont do much. Not sure if I should be using rags (dry or not), mops, etc. I plan to get all my ducts clean when it's all done but since my main floor is about finished I want to get this started.

Thanks
Drywall dust is different than normal dust. You don't want to get it wet, it forms a sticky paste!
Dry split micro fiber cloths will be your friend here! Wipe everything down, taking care not to spread it into crevices.
Don't use your good vacuum, use a shop vac to get any heavy amounts, and micro fiber to wipe. Then a spray of vinegar and wipe again to get anything stubborn
Feb 4, 2010
410 posts
103 upvotes
What's the best way to clean laminate? I don't have a steamer. The flooring is old and scratched up (light honey oak colour) - it still looks pretty so I want to try and maintain it for as long as I can. Thanks :)
Jan 15, 2013
652 posts
72 upvotes
Mississauga
petitallegra wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 12:29 pm

Drywall dust is different than normal dust. You don't want to get it wet, it forms a sticky paste!
Dry split micro fiber cloths will be your friend here! Wipe everything down, taking care not to spread it into crevices.
Don't use your good vacuum, use a shop vac to get any heavy amounts, and micro fiber to wipe. Then a spray of vinegar and wipe again to get anything stubborn
Dumb follow up question:

How do I dust off the microfiber clothes? Or are they just disposable?

I use some at my home but get multiple uses out of them because I wash them.

Also, I befriended my countertop installer earlier and he said to use Vim to clean my countertop. Is this true? I mean, these guys would probably know more than anyone else.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
Brookside05 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 11:37 pm
Dumb follow up question:

How do I dust off the microfiber clothes? Or are they just disposable?

I use some at my home but get multiple uses out of them because I wash them.

Also, I befriended my countertop installer earlier and he said to use Vim to clean my countertop. Is this true? I mean, these guys would probably know more than anyone else.
Not a dumb question at all! Shake them out in a garbage bag, outside, to get the majority of the dust off. Then a quick wash in vinegar and water, and hang dry :) ready for use again!
What kind of counter top? Vim is only safe on laminate, but to be honest, if you do food prep on your counters, I would never use vim anyways. It's very difficult to make sure you've got all the chemical residue off!
Let me know what kind of counter you have, I can recommend a better, natural, and food-safe cleaner ;)
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
Jazmina wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 6:23 pm
What's the best way to clean laminate? I don't have a steamer. The flooring is old and scratched up (light honey oak colour) - it still looks pretty so I want to try and maintain it for as long as I can. Thanks :)
Is the scratches in the laminate deep? Because if they go past the top veneer layer, any liquid at all, will cause swelling and distortion!
Laminate is so easy to maintain though, you could even do a 50/50 vinegar/water wash, to keep them nice and clean!
I like 50/50 water/vinegar, and a splash of Castile soap, for scent, and to help get up anything sticky on the floors :) don't forget to use a good microfiber mop head, you'll get great results!
Jan 15, 2013
652 posts
72 upvotes
Mississauga
petitallegra wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 12:07 am
Not a dumb question at all! Shake them out in a garbage bag, outside, to get the majority of the dust off. Then a quick wash in vinegar and water, and hang dry :) ready for use again!
What kind of counter top? Vim is only safe on laminate, but to be honest, if you do food prep on your counters, I would never use vim anyways. It's very difficult to make sure you've got all the chemical residue off!
Let me know what kind of counter you have, I can recommend a better, natural, and food-safe cleaner ;)
Quartz!

The more natural the better for me. I appreciate it!
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
Brookside05 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 6:42 pm
Quartz!

The more natural the better for me. I appreciate it!
You are in luck, quartz is an easy surface to keep clean!
I would use a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar, with two squirts of dr.bonners castille, in any scent you like :)
Shake it up, it will make a crusty foam, let it sit for 24 hours, then shake again. Then it's ready for use! And safe for your food areas :)
Jan 15, 2013
652 posts
72 upvotes
Mississauga
petitallegra wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 10:11 am
I would use a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar, with two squirts of dr.bonners castille, in any scent you like :)
Shake it up, it will make a crusty foam, let it sit for 24 hours, then shake again. Then it's ready for use! And safe for your food areas :)
Thank you so much
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
422 posts
196 upvotes
Mississauga
funnystory wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 2:41 pm
Hi petitallegra,

I'm wondering where you usually buy your castile soap? I don't see them at Walmart, found this on Well.ca:

https://well.ca/products/dr-bronners-or ... 18729.html

Is it a good price, and do you usually go with the unscented, or other scents such as peppermint/lavender?

Thanks!
Personally I love the peppermint, but you can even buy un-scented, and add your own favorite essential oils. I also like using citrus or mango oils, so it smells tropical, lol
Apr 10, 2017
329 posts
81 upvotes
petitallegra wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 10:11 am
Sorry, just wanted to clarify: 2 squirts meaning less than a teaspoon?

I bought a 32oz bottle of Dr Bonners. I think this will last me a long time although I'm now wondering: can I use that mix to clean my toilet? I live in an area with hard water and I see a "line" on my water line in the toilet (mind you, my washroom is super new, less than 20x uses).

Thanks