None
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
Biscayne05 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 12:41 am
Sorry, just wanted to clarify: 2 squirts meaning less than a teaspoon?

I bought a 32oz bottle of Dr Bonners. I think this will last me a long time although I'm now wondering: can I use that mix to clean my toilet? I live in an area with hard water and I see a "line" on my water line in the toilet (mind you, my washroom is super new, less than 20x uses).

Thanks
I would say more like 4-5 tablespoons. I give a generous squirt!
Yes, the mix works great in toilets, and I always put 2-3 drops of tea tree oil after I've scrubbed it. The oil will continue to disinfect, and leaves a fresh scent in the washroom!
Feb 4, 2010
431 posts
111 upvotes
Any recommendations on what kind mop to get. I haven't been happy with the ones I've gotten so far.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
Jazmina wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 12:57 pm
Any recommendations on what kind mop to get. I haven't been happy with the ones I've gotten so far.
I use the Vileda micro fiber mop, with refillable solution bottle. I like it because I can make my own mix, and the microfiber head is easy to wash, and does a good job. That being said, I typically go through one every 3-4 months, so I suspect regular usage in a home, it would last only about a year. But for $25 a pop, not too bad. And I keep the micor fiber head for the next one. I have over 2 dozen now! Handy!
Feb 4, 2010
431 posts
111 upvotes
petitallegra wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 11:51 pm
I use the Vileda micro fiber mop, with refillable solution bottle. I like it because I can make my own mix, and the microfiber head is easy to wash, and does a good job. That being said, I typically go through one every 3-4 months, so I suspect regular usage in a home, it would last only about a year. But for $25 a pop, not too bad. And I keep the micor fiber head for the next one. I have over 2 dozen now! Handy!
I suppose the reason why I'm not happy with my current one is because I have to replace it haha
Sep 29, 2007
424 posts
66 upvotes
Any tips on dark laminate flooring? You clean it and as soon as you walk on it, it shows everything....
Oct 10, 2017
38 posts
19 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
Hi I've been lurking in this thread for quite some time. Thanks for this posting. I have two questions..
I have searched high and low for cleaning vinegar. All I can find is regular white and pickling. Where can I buy this stuff?
Secondly, what is the best way to remove those yellow rust or hard water stains from a tub? I heard using low fume oven cleaner works but I want to ask you first.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25876 posts
2880 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
RFDizzy wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 12:16 am
Hi I've been lurking in this thread for quite some time. Thanks for this posting. I have two questions..
I have searched high and low for cleaning vinegar. All I can find is regular white and pickling. Where can I buy this stuff?
Secondly, what is the best way to remove those yellow rust or hard water stains from a tub? I heard using low fume oven cleaner works but I want to ask you first.
I can answer both questions

1. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/allen ... 0505p.html
2. https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/clr-calciu ... gJ7tvD_BwE
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25876 posts
2880 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
RFDizzy wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 7:50 am
Hi Gee thanks for the vinegar link! But CLR does not remove these stains around my drain.
CLR should get rid of the rust. The “R” in CLR is rust.

Try Oxiclean. Make sure you use hot water
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
RFDizzy wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 7:50 am
Hi Gee thanks for the vinegar link! But CLR does not remove these stains around my drain.
If you can take a pic, that will help me answer better :) Pinkish stains are different than orange/brown stains.
And you *could* use low-fume oven spray, BUT only in a particular application, and on a particular surface type. Never on Acrylic! What is your tub made of, and what is the age /condition of the surface enamel?
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
retireat50 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:26 pm
Any tips on dark laminate flooring? You clean it and as soon as you walk on it, it shows everything....
Yup, that sums it up! Some flooring shows foot oils more than others, unfortunately. Matte dark floors especially!
My only tip are to have family wear house slippers, to reduce the oil, but there really isn't much else you can do.
Take comfort in knowing that everyone else's floors get foot oils too, but at least you can see when it builds up, and clean it! When I think about carpets I shudder to think about the level of foot sweat in those fibers! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
Apr 10, 2017
391 posts
104 upvotes
petitallegra wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 12:29 pm
Drywall dust is different than normal dust. You don't want to get it wet, it forms a sticky paste!
Dry split micro fiber cloths will be your friend here! Wipe everything down, taking care not to spread it into crevices.
Don't use your good vacuum, use a shop vac to get any heavy amounts, and micro fiber to wipe. Then a spray of vinegar and wipe again to get anything stubborn
I've been using this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/libma ... 2218p.html

Is it the wrong kind? I feel like I'm not progressing enough. When I try to rub my fingers against the floor I still pick up dust.

Also, I have some stubborn stains now on the floor since I hosted a party. I'm not sure what to use to get rid of those now

:( Sorry, first time home owner!

PS
on the other hand, that vinegar solution you posted works for every damn thing! Thanks for that!
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
436 posts
206 upvotes
Mississauga
Biscayne05 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 1:00 am
I've been using this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/libma ... 2218p.html

Is it the wrong kind? I feel like I'm not progressing enough. When I try to rub my fingers against the floor I still pick up dust.

Also, I have some stubborn stains now on the floor since I hosted a party. I'm not sure what to use to get rid of those now

:( Sorry, first time home owner!

PS
on the other hand, that vinegar solution you posted works for every damn thing! Thanks for that!
Could be your mop. I personally prefer the Vileda mops, I find they pick up the fine dust better.
If the dust is sticking in the cracks, or seems to be not lifting, try using a clean nylon bristle brush on the area first, to loosen anything that's stuck. Then run the vacuum, and mop . It could be that the dust was wet, and glued itself down a bit.

And yes, my mix works on everything! I love it so much :)
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1594 posts
211 upvotes
I'm preparing to move into a preowned home. I notice that commercial cleaners advertise a "move in ready" type of cleaning. What do they do and is there a guide that I can follow? Thanks.
Jan 15, 2013
759 posts
99 upvotes
Mississauga
petitallegra wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 1:16 pm
Could be your mop. I personally prefer the Vileda mops, I find they pick up the fine dust better.
If the dust is sticking in the cracks, or seems to be not lifting, try using a clean nylon bristle brush on the area first, to loosen anything that's stuck. Then run the vacuum, and mop . It could be that the dust was wet, and glued itself down a bit.

And yes, my mix works on everything! I love it so much :)
Thanks I'll try it.

Would you like to recommend a specific brush? I can only think of the one I'm using right now but I think it's too rough for the surface.