None
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1589 posts
162 upvotes
Newmarket
petitallegra wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:26 pm
So, just like SS sinks, there are different gauges and materials in SS Fridges. Not all SS is truly made from steel! So, depending on the quality of the SS, different cleaning solutions yield different results. An easy test is putting a magnet on the surface. If it doesn't stay, its in fact real SS. If the magnet stays, its not true steel.
Once you've determined the material, a few things about cleaning. If its true SS, you should not use any oil products. It will darken the SS over time, as well as create a patchy haze. It cannot be removed. The best cleaner for this type of SS is vinegar/water, or windex, as it has amonnia. If its fake SS, then the SS cleaners on the market (oil based) will be your best bet.
If you take a photo of the hazy spot, I can better determine what happened.
Thank you for the answer.
I can't stick a magnet to the fridge, and yes, the bottom has a lot of patchiness.......as it there is some sort of a film but it won't come of
I took a picture as best I could. You can sort of see it but it's much worse from certain angles, and hard to capture.
p.s. also sent you a pm :)
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
433 posts
204 upvotes
Mississauga
jelena-c wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 5:32 pm
Thank you for the answer.
I can't stick a magnet to the fridge, and yes, the bottom has a lot of patchiness.......as it there is some sort of a film but it won't come of
I took a picture as best I could. You can sort of see it but it's much worse from certain angles, and hard to capture.
p.s. also sent you a pm :)
So, that is the danger of using oil based products on true SS.
The oil has penetrated, and now has changed the colour tone. Unfortunately there is not much you can do now......You could try and use mineral oil on the whole surface, that may even out the discoloration, or you can try squeezing some lemon into a vinegar/water solution, which may help lift the oil. But either method you take the risk of making it worse.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1589 posts
162 upvotes
Newmarket
petitallegra wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:09 pm
So, that is the danger of using oil based products on true SS.
The oil has penetrated, and now has changed the colour tone. Unfortunately there is not much you can do now......You could try and use mineral oil on the whole surface, that may even out the discoloration, or you can try squeezing some lemon into a vinegar/water solution, which may help lift the oil. But either method you take the risk of making it worse.
ugh
i've been using this for years Image
i suppose i should just go back to it, as it evens out the finish.......but i was really hoping to just be able to clean with water and polish with a microfiber cloth

now i want to buy a new fridge lol
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13466 posts
3358 upvotes
Toronto
petitallegra wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:26 pm
So, just like SS sinks, there are different gauges and materials in SS Fridges. Not all SS is truly made from steel! So, depending on the quality of the SS, different cleaning solutions yield different results. An easy test is putting a magnet on the surface. If it doesn't stay, its in fact real SS. If the magnet stays, its not true steel.
Once you've determined the material, a few things about cleaning. If its true SS, you should not use any oil products. It will darken the SS over time, as well as create a patchy haze. It cannot be removed. The best cleaner for this type of SS is vinegar/water, or windex, as it has amonnia. If its fake SS, then the SS cleaners on the market (oil based) will be your best bet.
Thanks so much for this post, mine is fake stainless steel (magnet sticks), just bought the affresh brand stainless cleaner for delivery (not arrived yet). Hopefully it won't harm it long term
https://www.lowes.ca/surface-cleaners/a ... 71188.html
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Nov 12, 2017
2 posts
I just read the entire thread and I am so impressed on your knowledge and skills! I am residential cleaner as well - I used to work in 2 services to get some experience and now I am an independent cleaner for 2 years. I really care about my clients like you do but there is always a lot things that I would love to ask someone but don't really talk to anyone who does cleaning anymore. I would be more than happy if you could answer to some of my questions as this is an ask a cleaning lady thread.
I am wondering if you have any written contract with your client - I was thinking of making one because sometimes it gets frustrating.
One of my client who I go to every week for the past half a year had really big expectations. She wanted me to do laundry each time - previously working in a service I did that to one family but it was one load of the items from the past 2-3 days so it was always one load. I was extremely surprised when she expected me to clean the house and do 3 loads plus all(2 beds) sheets changed every week. That actually took me almost as much as cleaning the house! So I called her and let her know we can do it as an extra service or we do one load with no extra charges - she chose option number 2 but in the same time she had hard time understanding why I can't do more than one for the same price, lol. So with that I also managed a difficult skill of negotiating and be clear about me performing more job means more money which I deserve. She also wants me to hand wash her stockings and swimsuits. I honestly never thought someone would EVER ask me to do hand wash...but personal underwear? I honestly wanted to leave that client but she is a close friend to my really good client so can't figure this out now.
Also I am not sure what good would be to manage around terminating cleaning services. One of my client recently had twins. They were always home since the kids were born so I knew they are expecting international live in nanny to stay with them, I had them on biweekly schedule and 5 days before my next visit he just messaged(!) me they no longer need me cause she is happy to help them with cleaning the house as well. I know that people do not care sometimes that for me it was a full day of work that I do not have filled for two days a month but I guess they should at least give a one visit notice so at least I can plan my schedule.
Also! Christmas is coming very soon and I was also wondering - most cleaners(I hope!) get some bonus/gifts for that occasion. What do you bring your clients for Christmas? I usually bring them some good quality Holiday card with a box of chocolates but I was always thinking maybe something else like a bottle of wine would be better?
What do you do with rooms in a house where someone is on vacation/at school etc. and room haven't been used at all since your last visit? I have a few of those and I usually just dust around and do a quick vacuum but I am always feeling bad since I am very detail oriented person.
How do you treat marble shower grout? Couple of my clients have problems with either pink hard water stain or orange/brown can't scrub the pink grout with marble safe products even the build up is always recent with all my houses on weekly/biweekly schedule! And is the orange stain because marble get rust with time and it affect the grout around?

Please don't feel like you have to answer to all of those since I just wrote a lot! But I would really appreciate to get some advice from someone more experienced and someone who also loves cleaning!
[OP]
Jan 15, 2011
433 posts
204 upvotes
Mississauga
It’s great to hear from a fellow cleaner! I love to share information, so ask away!
I answered below your questions:

I am wondering if you have any written contract with your client - I was thinking of making one because sometimes it gets frustrating.
-I used to when I first started, but I don’t any longer. I usually trust my clients, and I am very upfront about what I can offer or not offer, and my fees.

One of my client who I go to every week for the past half a year had really big expectations. She wanted me to do laundry each time - previously working in a service I did that to one family but it was one load of the items from the past 2-3 days so it was always one load. I was extremely surprised when she expected me to clean the house and do 3 loads plus all(2 beds) sheets changed every week. That actually took me almost as much as cleaning the house! So I called her and let her know we can do it as an extra service or we do one load with no extra charges - she chose option number 2 but in the same time she had hard time understanding why I can't do more than one for the same price, lol. So with that I also managed a difficult skill of negotiating and be clear about me performing more job means more money which I deserve. She also wants me to hand wash her stockings and swimsuits. I honestly never thought someone would EVER ask me to do hand wash...but personal underwear? I honestly wanted to leave that client but she is a close friend to my really good client so can't figure this out now.

-So, there is a difference between a housekeeper and a cleaner. Laundry, and taking care of personal items falls under the category of housekeeper. So, while there are some out there that provide both services, I only provide one. I am responsible for the dirt, a housekeeper is in charge of personal items. For example, I never go into cupboards, organize things, throw things away, deal with personal hygiene items, etc. I will clean the toilet, but I will not organize the toilet paper cabinet, lol. It sounds like the client wants a housekeeper. I run my service exactly as a commercial company would. Sally maid companies would never do laundry, especially not hand washing!

Also I am not sure what good would be to manage around terminating cleaning services. One of my client recently had twins. They were always home since the kids were born so I knew they are expecting international live in nanny to stay with them, I had them on biweekly schedule and 5 days before my next visit he just messaged(!) me they no longer need me cause she is happy to help them with cleaning the house as well. I know that people do not care sometimes that for me it was a full day of work that I do not have filled for two days a month but I guess they should at least give a one visit notice so at least I can plan my schedule.

-Unfortunately, this happens. I only charge for cancellation if it happens frequently. I do not charge when service ends, nor do I ask for any notice. However, I always have a wait list, so I can plug in a new client fairly quickly.

Also! Christmas is coming very soon and I was also wondering - most cleaners(I hope!) get some bonus/gifts for that occasion. What do you bring your clients for Christmas? I usually bring them some good quality Holiday card with a box of chocolates but I was always thinking maybe something else like a bottle of wine would be better?

-It’s really up to you. I usually give a card from me and my family :)

What do you do with rooms in a house where someone is on vacation/at school etc. and room haven't been used at all since your last visit? I have a few of those and I usually just dust around and do a quick vacuum but I am always feeling bad since I am very detail oriented person.

-I always clean everything, regardless if its being used, unless the client specifically asks me not to. You may offer a discount if you do the room every other visit. I always follow a “route” as I clean, so I just clean it all, lol.

How do you treat marble shower grout? Couple of my clients have problems with either pink hard water stain or orange/brown can't scrub the pink grout with marble safe products even the build up is always recent with all my houses on weekly/biweekly schedule! And is the orange stain because marble get rust with time and it affect the grout around?

-That pink tinge is from the water, sediment builds, and can discolour grout. Marble is tricky, because its so soft and prone to scratching. I like to use steam first, then use my all purpose mix, and a scotch brite sponge, rough side to scrub, soft side to wipe. Never use a bristled brush on marble!!

I suggest you make your own products, I love using my own soloutions, and because I am the one breathing them in, and touching them all day, I know they are safe for me, and also my clients!
I know how to use them, and what concentrations work best. I switched to making my own 8 years ago, and never looked back!

Please don't feel like you have to answer to all of those since I just wrote a lot! But I would really appreciate to get some advice from someone more experienced and someone who also loves cleaning!
[/quote]