• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2017 10:06 pm
Aug 17, 2008
880 posts
269 upvotes
Nine of out 10 dentist recommend.....

1) Which electronic toothbrush is better overall, OralB or Philips SonicCare?
2) Do you recommend WaterPik? If so, can WaterPik replace manual flossing (sometimes), or should you always manually floss as well.
Apr 29, 2010
805 posts
32 upvotes
London
PAIN WHEN FLOSSING and CHEWING

Several weeks back i had some fillings replaced -- 2 teeth on upper left, 2 teeth on upper right, 1 tooth lower left -- my understanding was no cavities but the old white fillings were wearing down and i had the option to replace them.

Now after the replacing when i go to floss between the premolar and molar on the top left side (canada #ing: 25 on the distal side) there is pain. I have to be very VERY gentle to not feel the pain; it is a tolerable pain but pain nontheless. Flossing everywhere else is fine though.

Furthermore when i go to bite down on soft food it is fine but when it comes to slightly harder food there is a pressure sensation (slight pain or fatigue or something making me think twice about pressing down any harder) on the upper left and upper right (25 + 26 and 14 + 15 areas). I have not returned to the dentist as i figured the pain would eventually disappear but after maybe 6 weeks the pain persists.

Can you tell me why this pain is occurring, especially during flossing? Should i return to the dentist to have them all replaced or will the pain from flossing and chewing on harder foods eventually disappear? Is this pain due to exposed dentin (and so poorly layed fillings) allowing for cavities?

Much appreciated for this fabulous thread!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7161 posts
814 upvotes
Toronto
How would you rank these in terms of most likely cause of gum recession due to grinding, past braces work, hard brushing, diet, etc? Dentist said having a sweet tooth has 0 to do w/ gum receding - is this true?

Is there any way for the gum to grow back or any 'home remedies' besides gum grafting (actually, what are the prospects of that)? I saw on some TV show where there's this procedure to pull the gums back up but not sure if it's purely cosmetic or can have ftn as well?

Is there a reason to pay $$$$$ for a retainer (to prevent grinding) from the dentist vs something one can get for a few bucks anywhere else? Is there really a huge benefit to get it from the dentist?

Tx.
Oct 6, 2015
600 posts
286 upvotes
About 10 years ago, I tried one of those "at home" teeth whitening kits that used a high strength hydrogen peroxide infused gel. Both the Crest Whitestrips, as well as some syringes of carbamate peroxide gel that I loaded into a mouthguard and applied to my teeth.

Will "in-office" teeth whitening processes rapidly whiten my teeth without the severe pain?

Note that I kept the stuff off my gums, but it still hurt so much that I discontinued it.
Nov 26, 2016
37 posts
2 upvotes
should i go to the cheapest place to find invisalign? Some places seem sketchy, not sure if legit or should I go to a credible named dentist for them?
Dec 20, 2013
422 posts
42 upvotes
One new (and this is the second) cavity -> first time filling:
How much would that usually cost?
(for a not young patient without insurance)

Thank you.
Dec 16, 2016
7 posts
1. Is there any kind of antibacterial medicine to control the development of gum disease ?
2. Is there any way to mend toothbrush damage like hollows ?

Thank you
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1568 posts
143 upvotes
Newmarket
is fluoride free toothpaste really getting my kids' teeth prone to cavities or is it just their crappy brushing?
my dentist is trying to push flouride onto them, even rinsing with this flouride rinse after brushing.....

what is the best way to teach them how to properly brush, and especially floss? i try to show how i do it, but that gets lost

they already have an electric toothbrush, the oral b with round heads, and after the 2 min times is done, they floss, and then they brush once more with a normal toothbrush (this is my usual routine, and i haven't had problems.......like forever)

they are 7 and 9
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7721 posts
2600 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't gone to the dentist over 2+ years now. Should I be worried?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
2932 posts
276 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 9:37 pm
I haven't gone to the dentist over 2+ years now. Should I be worried?
I went in December 2016. Before that September 2014. No cavities :)
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2005
1830 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
I have a question. Last month i decided to switch my dentist (no special reason) and found a place at warden and eglinton based on great google reviews.

Got the cleaning done which i have no complaints followed by the dentist's butchery. I had 2 fillings done many years ago with zero issues and she insisted that i get it redone as they are slowly getting cavities. I reluctantly agreed. The work itself was not pleasant (i am not going to get into details).

A day later i felt like the bite doesn't feel natural due to new filling. Went back and she did find out a pressure point and shaved it off.

A week later, i am now starting to get sensitivity to cold, hot, sweet, sour you name it. And can't really chew anything hard from where fillings were done. It is as like there is no filling there at all. And yeah, i cant even floss as the space is now too tight and the new filling has kind of made it sharp and floss just breaks :(

What is your advice in this case? For now i have decided to go back to that place and ask for my xrays and go to another place as i am scared of getting any work done there now.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7161 posts
814 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 10:15 pm
How would you rank these in terms of most likely cause of gum recession due to grinding, past braces work, hard brushing, diet, etc? Dentist said having a sweet tooth has 0 to do w/ gum receding - is this true?

Is there any way for the gum to grow back or any 'home remedies' besides gum grafting (actually, what are the prospects of that)? I saw on some TV show where there's this procedure to pull the gums back up but not sure if it's purely cosmetic or can have ftn as well?

Is there a reason to pay $$$$$ for a retainer (to prevent grinding) from the dentist vs something one can get for a few bucks anywhere else? Is there really a huge benefit to get it from the dentist?

Tx.
Where are the resident experts? Haven't received any replies to some questions from me and other posters. TIA. :)
Feb 2, 2011
4 posts
West Canada
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 12:48 am
Where are the resident experts? Haven't received any replies to some questions from me and other posters. TIA. :)
Good question. I wonder where we go to find volunteer dentists?
Feb 2, 2011
4 posts
West Canada
I think one my teeth has nerve damage, but how do I find out which one? There is a throbbing pain but it's hard to tell which one the pain is coming from.

I've already seen a dentist and they had no answer.

Is there some tool that can be used that he didn't know about?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2752 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
What type of whitening do you recommend? The best and fastest results for people with little patience and some cash.