• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2017 10:06 pm
Sep 9, 2013
395 posts
114 upvotes
Ottawa
At what age should my new born visit the dentist?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
16876 posts
1812 upvotes
GTA West
How do you know if a dentist is 'good' ?

As a regular person, I can tell if my financial advisor is good because my investments beat the market.
I can tell if my barber is good since my haircut looks good.

But with dentists, how do you know? If the dentist fails to identify some chronic or longterm issue in a child, you might not find out until 20 years later.
There are lots of things a dentist could do wrong, but as far as I can tell, you have no way of knowing.

So how can a regular person tell if they have a 'good' dentist?
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5458 posts
688 upvotes
Mississauga
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Apr 29th, 2017 1:18 pm
How do you know if a dentist is 'good' ?

As a regular person, I can tell if my financial advisor is good because my investments beat the market.
I can tell if my barber is good since my haircut looks good.

But with dentists, how do you know? If the dentist fails to identify some chronic or longterm issue in a child, you might not find out until 20 years later.
There are lots of things a dentist could do wrong, but as far as I can tell, you have no way of knowing.

So how can a regular person tell if they have a 'good' dentist?
I would guess if your bite is good and you have no pain the dentist must be good.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2239 posts
686 upvotes
Toronto
AlexiRos wrote:
Dec 15th, 2016 1:12 am

2. Do dentists charge you a fee if you pick up your file yourself if you are leaving their business?
AskADentist wrote:
Dec 15th, 2016 10:11 am
2) No, it is not reasonable to charge a fee for the transfer of records. In fact, I think that it may be illegal to charge someone for their own records. You can fill out a form giving authorization for the new office to request the x-rays from your old office and they should be able to do it for you. Most offices will not send your whole file, but rather just the most recent x-rays.
Don't know where @AlexiRos is from, but I see @AskADentist is in Ontario. This RCDSO practice advisory answers the question :
http://www.rcdso.org/Assets/DOCUMENTS/P ... ntists.pdf
Can I charge the patient for the release of dental records?

While many dentists will provide copies of dental records at no charge
as a courtesy to their patients, a dentist can charge a patient a fee that
is consistent with the direct costs incurred in duplicating and releasing
them. This may include out-of-pocket expenses such as mailing costs,
charges from a dental laboratory or radiograph duplicating facility,
and materials costs. It is not considered appropriate to charge an
administrative fee for the dental staff’s time.
The original patient file or records stays with the original practitioner as it is their records which has to be kept for a certain amount of time after last seeing the patient. A copy of all or some of the record can be transferred.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8129 posts
1644 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
hulk007 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2017 2:14 pm
At what age should my new born visit the dentist?
You can start as early as 2yrs old. After that usually 6 months intervals for cleaning and check up.
Aug 15, 2017
32 posts
4 upvotes
The ADA would recommend at 1 year of age. Children are getting their teeth by then and some parents are unaware of how to care for children's teeth. Seeing a dentist early allows for intervention if needed. BTW, most dentists won't charge to see a child that young anyway - at least, not have you pay out of pocket.

How to know your dentist is good? First thing I would do is ask where they graduated from. Canadian schools are VERY DIFFICULT to get into - it really is the best of the best. But, even if they did graduate from a Canadian school, check if they are an international dentist who did the 2 year qualification at a Canadian school. Personally, I wouldn't see an overseas trained dentist unless they trained in the West (Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand). I could tell you stories of dental grads from certain countries that never saw a patient while in dental school (yes, NEVER) and then moved to Canada, practiced on plastic teeth in their garage for a year straight, in order to pass the qualifying exams in Canada and now work on us. No thanks.

The main thing I would suggest you look for in a dentist is someone who you can converse with and is willing to answer your questions. If they rush you in and out, and never explain what they are doing, I would look elsewhere. It's becoming a very competitive field so they need you, more than you need them.