Travel

Ask me about Contiki (aka tours for single travelers)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2014 3:41 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7608 posts
7342 upvotes

Ask me about Contiki (aka tours for single travelers)

So I see a lot of threads with the OP looking for a vacation tour group to join since their friends don't have the time/money to join them.
So ask me anything you want to know about Contiki (and similar tour options)

For the record, I just got back from a Contiki in Europe; also did one in South America last fall. Also met other ppl who have done multiple Contikis or joined other groups like Busabout in Europe.

I personally use Contiki as a "base" for my travel, and I plan other destinations around it. I did my South America Contiki first, then did some solo travel in the Amazon on my own. For my recent trip to Europe, I hung out with other guests at my first hostel, did my Contiki, then some solo travel (and met up with someone on my Contiki trip) and finally crashed a friend's apartment in Germany.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
1371 posts
20 upvotes
The 6
Hey! I was just thinking about travelling solo late September or early October.

What was the length of each of your trips and how much did it cost? I have a budget of around $3-4k.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7608 posts
7342 upvotes
Ix2L wrote: Hey! I was just thinking about travelling solo late September or early October.

What was the length of each of your trips and how much did it cost? I have a budget of around $3-4k.
Which continent are you going to?

I did Galapagos/Ecuador for 11 days/10 nights for CAD 2900. That included internal flights between the islands and the mainlands, all breakfasts and a few lunch/dinners. Needed to pay extra for some optional activities like mountain biking, kayaking, canyoning, etc. I paid 800-ish for my flight to Ecuador from Toronto with Copa.

I did Croatia island cruising/sailing last month. So I lived on a boat for 8 days/7 nights for CAD 1230 after some discounts. Included all breakfasts and most lunches. My flight was 1480 ish.

Obviously, all these costs are before other meals, drinking, tips for the tour manager/crew, etc.

The Europe trip had more of a party atmosphere whereas the South America one felt more like an adventure/extreme sports trip. Lots of Aussies on both trips.