Careers

Ask Me About FSWEP and the Federal Government

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2018 10:12 am
Nov 1, 2008
83 posts
5 upvotes
Bonzi wrote: still, havent heard anything compared to like 5+ last year by now. Maybe I'm not as lucky this year?
I think at this point most departments are waiting to find how bad the budget cuts will be in March.
Nov 1, 2008
83 posts
5 upvotes
Futurama wrote: Hey guys, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.
I have a quick question. As far as I understand, any manager hiring under FSWEP is not supposed to look directly at job experience when making decisions. So, whom do I put as my references? Friends, colleagues, supervisors, professors?
You should still put supervisors from other jobs. We're not supposed to select candidates based on them having past work experience or what that experience is. But if I am hiring you, I still want to know what your work ethic is like.
Feb 14, 2010
26 posts
1 upvote
Brandon wrote: I had past job experience on my resume. I think it's moreso a policy that's told to hiring managers, but in the end they get the full resumes of the applicants. I'm guessing it's different depending on the position, as my FSWEP position was targeted for upper year university students... and it was a technical position as well. I was told after I was hired (I generally asked my manager why I was hired) that I had the best past experience that was most related to the position and that I got along well with my interviewers (3 people, I was well liked).

I'm assuming for non-technical positions (ex. working at a call center) it's a bit easier to ignore (or weigh less) on past experience.
X wrote: You should still put supervisors from other jobs. We're not supposed to select candidates based on them having past work experience or what that experience is. But if I am hiring you, I still want to know what your work ethic is like.
Thank you for clearing it up.
Oct 19, 2005
245 posts
46 upvotes
X wrote: I think at this point most departments are waiting to find how bad the budget cuts will be in March.
Hope this is the case - feel like crap for writing 50 applications and getting 0 jobs through school recruiting. Yes, I personalized each app - spend like 2 hours on each.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5038 posts
504 upvotes
Octavius wrote: Still, you still need to be a full time student for 2/3 semesters of the year in order to qualify to apply/work under the FSWEP program. So long as the school does consider you as such, then you're good.
I don't know what the official policy is on this, but my HR advisor told me I had to be full-time for every term I was renewed.
Jan 11, 2010
9 posts
mississauga
hey does it matter if i checked off to a particular departmental program or not, will I still be considered if i just applied to the general fswep?and would it be the same as someone who did apply to that particular program or will they be considered first? thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5038 posts
504 upvotes
superman0097 wrote: hey does it matter if i checked off to a particular departmental program or not, will I still be considered if i just applied to the general fswep?and would it be the same as someone who did apply to that particular program or will they be considered first? thanks
I think you have to apply specifically to the particular departmental program to be considered for it. You can always go back and reapply to the departmental program even if you've already applied to the general FSWEP inventory.
Apr 24, 2009
31 posts
2 upvotes
Hey! Has anyone taken the 'Intercultural Adaptation Assessment' ?

I have to write it as part of the CIDA recruitment process and really don't know what to expect.

Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2065 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
Bonzi wrote: Hope this is the case - feel like crap for writing 50 applications and getting 0 jobs through school recruiting. Yes, I personalized each app - spend like 2 hours on each.
I feel for you. I know how it is applying for each job and spending time trying to make sure you are customizing your resume to receive no response... Another favourite the PSC uses are pools. The new catch phrase these days is the dreaded inventory.
RFD 15 73H 1337
Mar 1, 2010
1 posts
Hi all,

Has anyone taken the LYSO writing test and is willing to share their experience? Mine is next week and I'm a bit nervous. thanks in advance!
Mar 24, 2008
40 posts
If I'm unable to attend the place of interview, will the recruiters accommodate me? I'm specifically asking for SCCY.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2065 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
K_Swiss wrote: If I'm unable to attend the place of interview, will the recruiters accommodate me? I'm specifically asking for SCCY.
When I have applied for federal positions that are not within driving distance, they usually call you for a phone interview.
RFD 15 73H 1337
Apr 14, 2009
31 posts
3 upvotes
Is the FSWEP going to die, after Harper's announcement about federal government compressions?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
UnrealPaul wrote: Is the FSWEP going to die, after Harper's announcement about federal government compressions?
Well, your guess is as good as mine at this point TBH.

Considering how long this program has been in existence, I doubt it will be eliminated.

My guess is that summer positions will either be limited to the same number of the hiring department/agency hired in the previous year (or less) or that they will only keep on the currently employed students (i.e., those that work under FSWEP during the year) and not hire any new ones.

Chances are the former will occur, if any changes are made to the program at all.
Dec 30, 2007
382 posts
14 upvotes
I'm from Vancouver and when I applied for FSWEP, I specified that I'm willing to work anywhere in Canada.

Consequently I've been getting a lot of opportunity e mails. I expressed interest in many, but I haven't been getting any responses! I'm getting a bit worried. Here's what I expressed interest in

Department of Agriculture - Saskatoon, SK - Jan 27th - No response yet
Industry Canada Commerce Officer - Ottawa, ON - Feb 15th - No response yet
Youth Services Officer - Edmonton, AB - Feb 25th - No response yet

Is it possible that the HR managers are purposely ignoring me because I'm not from the places where the jobs are, and they think its unlikely I'll interview with them/relocate, and instead they consider only local candidates who expressed interest?

Also, for the YSO position, if I get a written assessment and pass it, and I move onto an interview, what is the likelihood of being offered a position (how many people would I be competing against?).

Has anyone here moved out of province for the summer for an FSWEP job? What was it like? I'm feeling a bit nervous about doing it, but maybe its better than likely being unemployed at home for 4 months (job market is bad at home).
Nov 1, 2008
83 posts
5 upvotes
UnrealPaul wrote: Is the FSWEP going to die, after Harper's announcement about federal government compressions?
This is nothing compared to the cuts in the 90's. If it survived that, it will survive this.
Dec 26, 2003
121 posts
19 upvotes
X wrote: This is nothing compared to the cuts in the 90's. If it survived that, it will survive this.
+1

First, it's a source of inexpensive labour. More importantly, even the harshest cuts to government in Canada eliminate a tiny fraction of programs and services. Given demographic trends -- there are so many boomers that can retire now -- the government will still continue to need students and new hires.
Mar 9, 2010
1 posts
Hello everyone,

I applied for a job Jan 2009, and in Feb 2010 was invited to write tests related to the position. I am wondering if anybody knows how long it usually takes after you write the test to hear back, or if you are only contacted if you do well on the tests? I just want to know if the turn-around time is similar to the length of time it took to originally be contacted, or if the department has conducted testing, are they likely interested in hiring somebody soon.

Thanks for any information!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5038 posts
504 upvotes
uncle_ned wrote: +1

First, it's a source of inexpensive labour. More importantly, even the harshest cuts to government in Canada eliminate a tiny fraction of programs and services. Given demographic trends -- there are so many boomers that can retire now -- the government will still continue to need students and new hires.
...Especially since baby boomers will be retiring in the near future. Most of the former FSWEP's I know who have worked for more than 1 term have stayed with the government after they graduated. It's a good cheap way to train future full time employees.

The average age where I work is quite high... lots of people will be retiring in the next 5 years.
Apr 14, 2009
31 posts
3 upvotes
Another question, is it true that there are way more FSWEP/career opportunities in Ottawa than anywhere else? I'll be studying (and living) in Ottawa for university.