Ask Me About FSWEP and the Federal Government

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2017 8:02 pm
Jan 21, 2014
10 posts
3 upvotes
Just a FYI to future FSWEP's applying this school year or next -
I posted this in another thread and it's a reply to the benefits comment:
No - as a previous FSWEP (unless they have changed the rules now), you are NOT entitled to benefits because you are NOT a civil servant. I think they pay you 4% of vacation pay. All of this can be found in your contract and you can also speak to your manager. Think of FSWEP as a paid internship.

* Just as a side note, you cannot apply through internal job postings if you are contracted as an FSWEP.
** If I am wrong, someone correct me. I was an FSWEP from 2011-2014.

Also some other tips:
- You cannot be an FSWEP or should you bother applying to the program if you've graduated and not planning to go back to school (check the PSR that opens in October)
- You can be an FSWEP if you are returning to school on a FULL-TIME basis **Proof of enrolment is ALWAYS required**
- If you are currently an FSWEP and decide to go back to school PART-TIME or take some time off, your contract will be cancelled
- If you are currently an FSWEP and graduating soon, going part-time, or taking time off you MAY be able to work but will moved to a "casual" contract (no benefits)

These are some points I learned from my department but some may not apply. Always check with your manager/department for more info.
Jul 20, 2013
175 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa
jp2192 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2014 3:10 pm
No - as a previous FSWEP (unless they have changed the rules now), you are NOT entitled to benefits because you are NOT a civil servant. I think they pay you 4% of vacation pay. All of this can be found in your contract and you can also speak to your manager. Think of FSWEP as a paid internship.

* Just as a side note, you cannot apply through internal job postings if you are contracted as an FSWEP.

Also some other tips:
- You cannot be an FSWEP or should you bother applying to the program if you've graduated and not planning to go back to school (check the PSR that opens in October)
- You can be an FSWEP if you are returning to school on a FULL-TIME basis **Proof of enrolment is ALWAYS required**
- If you are currently an FSWEP and decide to go back to school PART-TIME or take some time off, your contract will be cancelled
- If you are currently an FSWEP and graduating soon, going part-time, or taking time off you MAY be able to work but will moved to a "casual" contract (no benefits)

These are some points I learned from my department but some may not apply. Always check with your manager/department for more info.
To clarify, if you are in your final year and a full-time student and not returning to school in the following semester you ARE eligible for FSWEP on a part time basis for the duration of your final year and should apply for the upcoming Fall intake.
Sep 13, 2014
2 posts
Ottawa, ON
I've just started the application process. How should my resume be formatted? I have a great resume but since you have to paste it or rewrite my resumes format won't be the same.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Oct 2, 2011
2 posts
Hi,

Thank you for this thread.

I had a question regarding my job process with the federal government.

I applied for a job in July 2013, I was invited to write a written exam in November 2013. I was called in for an interview in March 2014. My references were called the next day and finally I got a email in May 2014 that i was placed in a pool of successful candidates. They also asked me to obtain a security clearance. Which I have completed and the Security Officer emailed me two weeks ago saying i have the level II security clearance now.

My question is, what is next? Do you think I will get an offer? This process has taken way too long.

Thanks!
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18442 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Keep waiting, you are now in the pool of qualified candidates they draw from. It could take 1 week or 1 year for them to offer you a contract, or never.
Sivahamy wrote:
Sep 18th, 2014 12:42 pm
Hi,

I applied for a job in July 2013, I was invited to write a written exam in November 2013. I was called in for an interview in March 2014. My references were called the next day and finally I got a email in May 2014 that i was placed in a pool of successful candidates. They also asked me to obtain a security clearance. Which I have completed and the Security Officer emailed me two weeks ago saying i have the level II security clearance now.

My question is, what is next? Do you think I will get an offer? This process has taken way too long.

Thanks!
Jul 13, 2011
46 posts
5 upvotes
OTTAWA
Hi,

Was hoping to receive some helpful advice.

I currently work at the CRA as an SP-05 (permanent), but I really want to move to Toronto to be closer to loved ones. Is there anything I can do? Most competitions are open to Toronto residents and emailing managers will tell me to ask for a PLM (permanent lateral move) or TLM (temporary lateral movement) from my Director.

Is it up to the discretion of the Director to fill this form out and send to the other Directors? Or is it a right as an employee I have, that I can request to be relocated?
Sep 22, 2009
32 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa
jp2192 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2014 3:10 pm

Also some other tips:

jp2192, just to let you know that FSWEP and CO-OP students are eligible for both the Public Service Dental Care Plan and Public Service Health Care Plan after six continuous months of employment (must work at least 12.5 hours a week during that six month period). However, you were correct about the vacation pay and not being able to apply to internal postings unless they specifically say that they are open to students.

Hope this helps.
May 5, 2014
12 posts
1 upvote
Sivahamy wrote:
Sep 18th, 2014 12:42 pm
Hi,

Thanks!
I was in various pools with the Feds just like you for a very, very long time. Only one of them eventually called me and I took the job. All of them ran security clearances too so don't read too much into that. You may get an offer but it's not a guarantee.
Nov 2, 2014
2 posts
Ajax, ON
Hi...I am new to this site and just need some feedback. I interviewed for the Pre-Examination Clerk position with Passport Canada on Sept 25; the position starts in January 2015. I was told that the process would have been completed within 1 month of my interview date. My references have been contacted over 2 weeks ago but I am yet to receive the results. Also, about 1 week after my interview, I was contacted to provide some info for security checks. I have not heard anything at all. I am wondering what may be the reason considering all my references have been contacted over 2 weeks now and I assume the security checks were done prior to the reference checks. Anyone has any experience with Passport Canada in this regard?
Jul 13, 2011
46 posts
5 upvotes
OTTAWA
courtan wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2014 7:04 pm
Hi...I am new to this site and just need some feedback. I interviewed for the Pre-Examination Clerk position with Passport Canada on Sept 25; the position starts in January 2015. I was told that the process would have been completed within 1 month of my interview date. My references have been contacted over 2 weeks ago but I am yet to receive the results. Also, about 1 week after my interview, I was contacted to provide some info for security checks. I have not heard anything at all. I am wondering what may be the reason considering all my references have been contacted over 2 weeks now and I assume the security checks were done prior to the reference checks. Anyone has any experience with Passport Canada in this regard?
same boat for me. except my timeline was 3 weeks after yours. i was told i would hear something by mid-November. i had a phone interview and they called my references 20 minutes later. then a few days they asked for some more info regarding my living situation for a few months several years ago.

did you ask what kind of hiring they were trying to do out of this pool? is it contract? i am hoping for permanent hiring. i couldn't get the info out of them. i do recall the interviewer saying that they were trying to staff around 8 people.

send me a pm and we can discuss more about the interview, results, and any more info.
Nov 2, 2014
2 posts
Ajax, ON
littletrain wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2014 8:45 pm
same boat for me. except my timeline was 3 weeks after yours. i was told i would hear something by mid-November. i had a phone interview and they called my references 20 minutes later. then a few days they asked for some more info regarding my living situation for a few months several years ago.

did you ask what kind of hiring they were trying to do out of this pool? is it contract? i am hoping for permanent hiring. i couldn't get the info out of them. i do recall the interviewer saying that they were trying to staff around 8 people.

send me a pm and we can discuss more about the interview, results, and any more info.
Apr 10, 2017
48 posts
4 upvotes
East York, ON
Octavius wrote:
Oct 27th, 2008 5:14 pm
I've been getting a fairly large number of PM's regarding FSWEP bridging and employment within the federal government. Instead of answering 3-4 PM's a day, I've decided to just make a thread about it and answer everyone's questions this way.

A bit of background:

I've worked with the federal government on a casual basis, through an agency, as FSWEP, and finally, as an indeterminate employee. I've experienced how employment through each of these methods has been beneficial as well as the drawbacks that come with them.

I've been with the federal government for nearly three years and I think I can say I know the hiring process better than most other individuals who have gone through it.

So...GO!

EDIT: Some people have requested contact information for those people who look after and manage the FSWEP program (i.e., confirming that their name is in the system, etc.). Sp0r3 has found some info, which I've included below:

UPDATE: Sorry about the lack of answers to questions guys. This has been an extremely hectic couple months for me, and it's going to get worse before it gets better. As a result, I won't be answering questions as often as I'd like (if at all) for the next little while. I hope that other posters that are familiar with FSWEP step up to fill the void during this time :)
what are the chances of a fswep student to get bridged after graduation? I have a cousin who worked with service canada and got bridged in a year after graduation and she now works with Canada Pension Plan (in the same building). Also, how is job growth with government jobs in administrative services? do higher jobs require masters degree and french?
Feb 6, 2015
2 posts
Ottawa, ON
A questing regarding extending FSWEP duration.

They have expressed some interest in bridging me when my contract expires at the end of April. I will still be a full time student during the summer though (for my Grad school course). I saw some information on the sites that you could extend an FSWEP contract as long as the student remains a student. Should I bring up this possibility with them?
May 13, 2012
3 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
Anyone have experience with IT-related FSWEP interviews? I've had one so far that I never heard back from. They asked me super weird questions like "if you can't do anything at all for a client, and there's nothing or nobody to help you, what do you do", give a scenario where an appliance does not work after buying it brand new and what you would do to solve the situation, and the dreaded "where do you see yourself in 10 years" question.