Careers

Ask Me About FSWEP and the Federal Government

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2017 12:04 pm
Jun 3, 2015
6 posts
Saskatoon, SK
Anyone apply for pre-examination clerk in Saskatoon or Regina? The posting date ended on April 27, 2015. I have done a reliability test mid May but haven't heard back since. When I contacted them, they said it is a large process and it does take time. Anyone else in the same boat or have any idea how long the whole process takes?
Oct 16, 2010
128 posts
55 upvotes
Ottawa
Hey there fellas!

Had a question I was looking to get information on. I got hired full time as an fswep student at Health Canada and will be starting work very soon. The position is only for a month and a half before the school semester starts again. I was hired to work on a project and not in an ongoing position.

I was wondering if its common for people to get part time work after they complete a full time contract during summers?

Thanks!
Aug 7, 2011
542 posts
79 upvotes
atamsingh wrote:
Jul 8th, 2015 4:29 pm
Hey there fellas!

Had a question I was looking to get information on. I got hired full time as an fswep student at Health Canada and will be starting work very soon. The position is only for a month and a half before the school semester starts again. I was hired to work on a project and not in an ongoing position.

I was wondering if its common for people to get part time work after they complete a full time contract during summers?

Thanks!
Very common. Just make your interests clear. If budget allows, they rehire students.
Oct 16, 2010
128 posts
55 upvotes
Ottawa
nullll wrote:
May 12th, 2015 3:35 pm
Anyone have experience with IT-related FSWEP interviews? I've had one so far that I never heard back from. They asked me super weird questions like "if you can't do anything at all for a client, and there's nothing or nobody to help you, what do you do", give a scenario where an appliance does not work after buying it brand new and what you would do to solve the situation, and the dreaded "where do you see yourself in 10 years" question.
Did they ask you technical questions as well? I'm getting an interview for a web developer position and don't know what to expect.
Aug 27, 2013
2 posts
Toronto
Hi guys - I have a question too, regarding casual employment and the 90-days rule.

So if I am hired in Sept for a casual position, does that mean that I can do a maximum of 90 days until Dec 31st of the same year? And then a new 90-days is issued from Jan 1st - Dec 31st of 2016 let's say?

It's what I thought I read when it said "calendar year", but can someone confirm please?

I'd really appreciate it :)
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2007
1729 posts
243 upvotes
condra wrote:
Sep 29th, 2015 8:56 am
Hi guys - I have a question too, regarding casual employment and the 90-days rule.

So if I am hired in Sept for a casual position, does that mean that I can do a maximum of 90 days until Dec 31st of the same year? And then a new 90-days is issued from Jan 1st - Dec 31st of 2016 let's say?

It's what I thought I read when it said "calendar year", but can someone confirm please?

I'd really appreciate it :)
Yes, 90 days per calendar year (Jan-Dec), so you can start again at the beginning of Jan.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1419 posts
75 upvotes
Ottawa
If you are hired for a casual position what is the outlook of remaining at that job after the end date. Also I heard government employees have access to more jobs than public. Would a casual employee also have the same benefit.

Last question may be a stupid one but what is the dress code for federal government employees. All my previous non government jobs I was wearing a T-Shirt and jeans. If shirts and pants are required for government job how many should I buy as I do not have any.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1857 posts
214 upvotes
Ottawa
When do the new rounds of FSWEP applications begin? They are currently still in their last year program (2014/2015).
The Rogers whisperer
RFD 15 73H 1337
Dec 30, 1969
474 posts
81 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Does anyone know how to secure a casual job with the federal government? Do you basically have to know someone already in the government since I never see any postings for casual employment online?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4782 posts
449 upvotes
Toronto
If I currently work for the CRA and then accept an offer from Service Canada does my eligibility for benefits and my current leave status transfer over or do I start all over again? It'll suck having to wait to get benefits again.
Apr 7, 2011
29 posts
1 upvote
Do you know how vacation time and pay work for Service Canada? Is two weeks vacation paid for in the first year? Does it go up at all after 1 year?
Aug 23, 2015
64 posts
18 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Octavius wrote:
Oct 27th, 2008 5:14 pm
I've been getting a fairly large number of PM's regarding FSWEP bridging and employment within the federal government. Instead of answering 3-4 PM's a day, I've decided to just make a thread about it and answer everyone's questions this way.

A bit of background:

I've worked with the federal government on a casual basis, through an agency, as FSWEP, and finally, as an indeterminate employee. I've experienced how employment through each of these methods has been beneficial as well as the drawbacks that come with them.

I've been with the federal government for nearly three years and I think I can say I know the hiring process better than most other individuals who have gone through it.

So...GO!

EDIT: Some people have requested contact information for those people who look after and manage the FSWEP program (i.e., confirming that their name is in the system, etc.). Sp0r3 has found some info, which I've included below:

UPDATE: Sorry about the lack of answers to questions guys. This has been an extremely hectic couple months for me, and it's going to get worse before it gets better. As a result, I won't be answering questions as often as I'd like (if at all) for the next little while. I hope that other posters that are familiar with FSWEP step up to fill the void during this time :)
I am a final year student applying and I am still eligible to work part time until I graduate. Seeing as it takes a very long time to actually start, if even chosen for a position, is it even logistically possible to start part time before April 2016 (graduation) if I apply for FSWEP today?
Nov 4, 2007
231 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Informer20 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2015 9:30 am
Do you know how vacation time and pay work for Service Canada? Is two weeks vacation paid for in the first year? Does it go up at all after 1 year?
I think its three weeks paid (112.5 hrs) on a regular schedule. It goes up once you hit milestones like 8 years, 16 years, etc.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel