• Sep 11th, 2017 10:20 am
Nov 4, 2007
231 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
atamsingh wrote:
Jul 8th, 2015 4:29 pm
Hey there fellas!

Had a question I was looking to get information on. I got hired full time as an fswep student at Health Canada and will be starting work very soon. The position is only for a month and a half before the school semester starts again. I was hired to work on a project and not in an ongoing position.

I was wondering if its common for people to get part time work after they complete a full time contract during summers?

Thanks!

I did fswep around five years ago, and after the summer - i started late in June and only worked up to end of August - they kept me for the school year on a part time basis as the project was ongoing. It depends on the budget, amount of work left. In terms of bridging, it's not as common anymore after 2012, it still happens, but a lot harder.
Nov 4, 2007
231 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
absolutetruth100 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2015 9:15 am
I am a final year student applying and I am still eligible to work part time until I graduate. Seeing as it takes a very long time to actually start, if even chosen for a position, is it even logistically possible to start part time before April 2016 (graduation) if I apply for FSWEP today?
Will you be graduating in June 2016? The whole point of FSWEP is actually for summer, and one of the conditions is that the student has to be returning to school after the work term (summer). They usually require that you show them proof i.e. schedule for the next term. That way they know that you are in fact enrolled for next semester and still a student.

I'm also pretty sure that the 2015 FSWEP is done now, and the application on the website is for the 2016 FSWEP.
Nov 4, 2007
231 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Probation wrote:
Mar 25th, 2015 1:50 pm
After i'm selected for an interview, are the odds good?
It depends what you applied for and the process. Some have multiple tests, assessments, and interviews. Usually once you make the cut, you're placed in a pool. It's hard to say what the odds are, but these days it is highly competitive to get even clerk positions. Sometimes thousands of people apply for the same positing.
Nov 4, 2007
231 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
masoud100 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2015 1:42 pm
If you are hired for a casual position what is the outlook of remaining at that job after the end date. Also I heard government employees have access to more jobs than public. Would a casual employee also have the same benefit.

Last question may be a stupid one but what is the dress code for federal government employees. All my previous non government jobs I was wearing a T-Shirt and jeans. If shirts and pants are required for government job how many should I buy as I do not have any.
That depends on the budget, if there is no money, casuals are among the first to go, and don't get extensions. Some have been fortunate enough that after doing casual, they apply for term, and maybe one day indeterminate. It's been a while, but from what I remember, casuals didn't have the internal access to the internal board; whereas term and indeterminate employees do. Either way, you should always look on the external website. A lot of the good external positions are located in Ottawa, so you can food some goodies on the external board.
Apr 7, 2011
29 posts
1 upvote
When do term contracts get renewed? I am starting a 1 year term for payment services officer in December. What if I wanted to transfer? How does that process work?
Aug 23, 2015
64 posts
18 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
spudlauncher wrote:
Nov 7th, 2015 2:02 pm
Will you be graduating in June 2016? The whole point of FSWEP is actually for summer, and one of the conditions is that the student has to be returning to school after the work term (summer). They usually require that you show them proof i.e. schedule for the next term. That way they know that you are in fact enrolled for next semester and still a student.

I'm also pretty sure that the 2015 FSWEP is done now, and the application on the website is for the 2016 FSWEP.
Yea ill be graduating June 2016. Not returning to school in fall 2016.
Nov 4, 2007
231 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
absolutetruth100 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2015 5:00 pm
Yea ill be graduating June 2016. Not returning to school in fall 2016.
Did you apply for the PSR, post secondary recruitment campaign for 2016?
Nov 4, 2007
231 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Informer20 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2015 4:12 pm
When do term contracts get renewed? I am starting a 1 year term for payment services officer in December. What if I wanted to transfer? How does that process work?
Depends on so many factors. Some departments renew contracts before the term ends if budget allows it or if they realize that they need to entice people to stay instead of leaving elsewhere. At the end of the day it's the government, everything depends on the budget.

There are cases when they renew peoples contract at the very end of the term, I've had cases where my four month term was ending in a matter of weeks, before even hearing about a renewal. It's nothing new in the government, even before all the recent budget issues, this use to happen all the time.
Aug 23, 2015
64 posts
18 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
spudlauncher wrote:
Nov 8th, 2015 11:33 am
Did you apply for the PSR, post secondary recruitment campaign for 2016?
No, because they are only hiring for Aboriginal Peoples right now.
Nov 27, 2015
2 posts
Milton, ON
Can someone please tell me what to expect from a passport Canada test and what should I study? Thank you!
Dec 22, 2015
6 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough, ON
So what are the chances of me getting a job? I applied to FSWEP yesterday, and I am a First Year student studying Accounting and Finance at Ryerson University.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
1327 posts
387 upvotes
Any current news about FSWEP? I've applied mid-february got 3 emails to ask if I am interested in 3 positions. 2 in ottawa and 1 in montreal. 2 of them says Referred in the other nothing.

Anyone else in FSWEP this year?
Oct 22, 2015
135 posts
29 upvotes
Ottawa
th3xeroeagle wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2016 11:14 am
Any current news about FSWEP? I've applied mid-february got 3 emails to ask if I am interested in 3 positions. 2 in ottawa and 1 in montreal. 2 of them says Referred in the other nothing.

Anyone else in FSWEP this year?
Hi, once you indicate your interest, they forward your info along with any other interested candidates to the hiring department, who will then select the candidates they wish to interview. Sometimes you'll get an email or call, other times, silence. If the jobs are starting in May, then you should have heard by now or maybe this week at the latest (assuming they actually want people to start in May and they aren't delayed).

I wanted to add that you should keep an eye on your system notifications too just in case they email and it gets lost in transit.
Oct 22, 2015
135 posts
29 upvotes
Ottawa
JeyLakshmanan wrote:
Dec 29th, 2015 9:44 pm
So what are the chances of me getting a job? I applied to FSWEP yesterday, and I am a First Year student studying Accounting and Finance at Ryerson University.
I can't answer your question but I will say that it may be easier to get a finance position after second year. So if you don't get something this summer, keep applying each fall. And if co-op is an option for you, that adds another entry pathway. I did one coop term and then they asked me to come back part time through FSWEP while in school. That was a couple years ago and I'm still there. Good luck!
Dec 16, 2009
1 posts
How do you get into FSWEP initially? I have filed an application. I am a second year Carleton student in finance and accounting-getting A to A+ in all courses, am a TA for accounting 1st year and involved in student government, on faculty board for business school and do volunteer work and volunteer for university giving tours. What else do I have to do. I have customer service experience, have been a life guard and worked for parks Ontario. Could there be something on my resume that is actually limiting me?