• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2017 12:04 pm
Oct 22, 2015
130 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa
godoggo wrote:
Apr 9th, 2016 8:10 pm
How do you get into FSWEP initially? I have filed an application. I am a second year Carleton student in finance and accounting-getting A to A+ in all courses, am a TA for accounting 1st year and involved in student government, on faculty board for business school and do volunteer work and volunteer for university giving tours. What else do I have to do. I have customer service experience, have been a life guard and worked for parks Ontario. Could there be something on my resume that is actually limiting me?
I think it depends on when you applied to FSWEP and what you checked off in your application. Plenty of students are hired for summer positions, and they may be in the process of contacting candidates right now, although I think most have already been called for interviews by now (or at least contacted to see if candidates are interested in the position).

The department I work for tends to hire 3rd or 4th year accounting/finance students as they are looking for students to bridge into its FI development program after graduation. They also tend to hire their coop students through FSWEP after their placements are done (as I've mentioned before). I can't speak of any other departments though. Good luck with the hunt for work!
Dec 30, 1969
47 posts
7 upvotes
East York, ON
So how exactly does their hiring process work? I was contacted today about a position for the summer and the start date is May 11. Do you think there would be interviews/tests that would need to be completed? Also to those students who have done FSWEP jobs or are currently doing one, what are the chances of being kept on after the summer even if it's part time?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1857 posts
214 upvotes
Ottawa
krejci87 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2016 8:31 pm
So how exactly does their hiring process work? I was contacted today about a position for the summer and the start date is May 11. Do you think there would be interviews/tests that would need to be completed? Also to those students who have done FSWEP jobs or are currently doing one, what are the chances of being kept on after the summer even if it's part time?
You will be interviewed for sure. As for tests, it depends on how much competition and what they want you to do. As for extension past the term, that also depends on the department.
The Rogers whisperer
RFD 15 73H 1337
Oct 25, 2015
88 posts
4 upvotes
What kind of jobs can you get from the Provincial side, the Federal side, and the Municipal side and usually which is the more trending jobs in each of them?
Is there a specific time frame in when they hire and how long until they make a decision on who to hire?
Are government jobs competitive, like what is it like to work in the government sector?
Do government jobs require a lot of requirements to get in and are they hard to achieve?
Mar 31, 2016
52 posts
2 upvotes
How do i get around submitting an affidavit for returning to full time studies in the fall? I am graduating this year and completing a post grad in september, so I cant get my current school to sign the form because it says im graduating and since i havent gotten my acceptance from my other school yet I cant get thm to sign either.
Dec 30, 1969
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Quick question
1) does the fswep allow students ( university students) to work part time during the summer months if offered a position.
I had my interview in February, which I successfully passed and received results for in (april) and I just received my reliability security clearance earlier this week. I picked out courses for summer school (UofT) as a backup plan sometime in March, for a course I need for my program which is usually full in the fall term ( in the event that I was not employed for this fswep position).

However, now that I have been placed in a pool of successful candidates and awaiting the next step I am wondering, can I work part time hours ( summer class is in the evening twice a week I can still make those classes since I looked at the office hours for the department I was offered the interview for) if i am offered a position? Summer courses start on Monday ( May 9th ) so I really don't have much time lol

Also, how long does it take to be offered a position once placed in the pool from your experience?
Would really appreciate any information on this.
I already emailed the department and I am awaiting a response. Just wanted some insight from anyone who has been employed through this program
Dec 30, 1969
47 posts
7 upvotes
East York, ON
Anyone here get an email about an interest in summer opportunities with the CRA?
Mar 9, 2015
3 posts
Montreal, QC
Can intermediate federal government work be deemed as the most secure job?
1. Compared to other jobs in private sectors, even big companies like RBC/BMO, is it appropriate to consider working for the federal government in Ottawa comes with the most job security?
2. assume a government employee screws up several projects during work and most of his/her bosses don’t like him/her, would the person be laid off just any time like in private sectors? I heard federal employee union is just useless.
Jul 28, 2015
2 posts
York, ON
krejci87 wrote:
May 17th, 2016 1:10 pm
Anyone here get an email about an interest in summer opportunities with the CRA?
krejci87, got the same email from cra on may 17 for TSOs in Toronto. Start date was June X, However since then I wasnt invited to any interviews / accessments. Did you make any progress on your end?
Jun 25, 2011
217 posts
78 upvotes
Alberta
vanier2 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2016 1:14 am
Can intermediate federal government work be deemed as the most secure job?
1. Compared to other jobs in private sectors, even big companies like RBC/BMO, is it appropriate to consider working for the federal government in Ottawa comes with the most job security?
2. assume a government employee screws up several projects during work and most of his/her bosses don’t like him/her, would the person be laid off just any time like in private sectors? I heard federal employee union is just useless.
Dude you have so much misinformation in your head. Federal job is primarily secure relative to private counterparts as you won't be generally getting laid off left and right but regarding performance you can be laid off if you do not meet bi-annual performance review expectations. Most likely they give a chance for a person to improve their deficiency but if someone is really incompetent then that can be ground for dismissal. Biggest ground for dismissal is breach of security, lack of integrity and any criminal charges which will jeopardize your security clearance and that will be ground for dismissal. Regarding union, it will represent you because you pay union dues and will support you if there has been wrong cause for dismissal but if you are totally incompetent making screwing up several project and you do not work well in a team that no one likes you then they won't be able to do much about it.
Jul 14, 2016
1 posts
Anyone has started receiving interest emails for this fall? Ottawa/Gatineau or Montreal?
May 13, 2012
3 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
Has anyone ever contacted a Director via e-mail about being bridged? I did a co-op with a federal department two years ago and am thinking about contacting my old manager and asking if he knows a Director I can contact about bridging me in now that I graduated. Do you think this is too forward/inappropriate to ask? IMO the worst he can say is just "no".
Nov 13, 2016
4 posts
hi guys,

last month i did an interview for a part-time FSWEp position at CRA and after a month i still have not heard back yet. My application status says referred but i was wondering
how long it usually takes to hear back? or if i will hear back at all for this position?

thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1857 posts
214 upvotes
Ottawa
pwner613 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2016 10:39 pm
hi guys,

last month i did an interview for a part-time FSWEp position at CRA and after a month i still have not heard back yet. My application status says referred but i was wondering
how long it usually takes to hear back? or if i will hear back at all for this position?

thanks
It all depends on their requirements and when the position starts. Do you know the start date? Worst case scenario is that they have moved on.
The Rogers whisperer
RFD 15 73H 1337
Nov 13, 2016
4 posts
matradley wrote:
Nov 15th, 2016 9:04 am
It all depends on their requirements and when the position starts. Do you know the start date? Worst case scenario is that they have moved on.
i asked at the end of the interview when the start date would be, and they said they were not sure yet. it was also odd that i only got the exact position i was applying for halfway into the interview
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel