• Apr 20th, 2017 12:04 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1856 posts
213 upvotes
Ottawa
pwner613 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2016 9:19 am
i asked at the end of the interview when the start date would be, and they said they were not sure yet. it was also odd that i only got the exact position i was applying for halfway into the interview
I would not say it is odd for student positions. My spouse, when she was in college, went to similar interviews. The posting would be somewhat generic only to learn what exactly the position entails during the interview.
The Rogers whisperer
RFD 15 73H 1337
Nov 20, 2016
16 posts
3 upvotes
pwner613 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2016 9:19 am
i asked at the end of the interview when the start date would be, and they said they were not sure yet. it was also odd that i only got the exact position i was applying for halfway into the interview
Unfortunately sometimes processes with the CRA can take a long time. Waiting a month without hearing something during certain phases is not out of the ordinary. Given the time of the year, it's very possible that some selection board members or even the chair may be on leave. In fact I'd be surprised if the whole process conclude before Christmas. Keep your chin up and good luck.
May 11, 2007
21 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
Sorry to have brought this thread back from the dead but I haven't seen an answer toward my question.

I graduated with a 3 year diploma last year at the end of August and now, I'm returning to university for a year to get an Honour degree starting in September.

Will I still be able to apply to FSWEP? Currently, my admission is under evaluation but since GPA is 8/10, I will be accepted.
Dec 30, 1969
48 posts
4 upvotes
East York, ON
Does the type of program/degree matter in the selection of some of these fswep positions?
For example would a students with an economics degree be more competitive than students with any other degrees? or does this not matter for general/administrative positions?
Also does being in a co-op program make you more competitive?
May 19, 2016
27 posts
11 upvotes
zipperz wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 2:14 pm
Does the type of program/degree matter in the selection of some of these fswep positions?
For example would a students with an economics degree be more competitive than students with any other degrees? or does this not matter for general/administrative positions?
Also does being in a co-op program make you more competitive?
Never been in a hiring manager's spot, so take this with a grain of salt. But I was applying for co-op positions a couple years back and had an interview for a position. I didn't get it, but when I received feedback I was told that I and another candidate had roughly similar scores on the interview, but the responsible DG expressed a preference for someone with an undergrad in economics, which I did not, so that tipped the scales in the other direction.

Also, I don't being in a co-op program by itself will make you more competitive - it's likely hiring managers will look to hire either through a co-op program or through FSWEP as they're two different streams. If you have previous co-op terms, that might just make you more competitive based on your experience.
Dec 30, 1969
48 posts
4 upvotes
East York, ON
PSECPA wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 3:29 pm
Never been in a hiring manager's spot, so take this with a grain of salt. But I was applying for co-op positions a couple years back and had an interview for a position. I didn't get it, but when I received feedback I was told that I and another candidate had roughly similar scores on the interview, but the responsible DG expressed a preference for someone with an undergrad in economics, which I did not, so that tipped the scales in the other direction.

Also, I don't being in a co-op program by itself will make you more competitive - it's likely hiring managers will look to hire either through a co-op program or through FSWEP as they're two different streams. If you have previous co-op terms, that might just make you more competitive based on your experience.
I see...Its just that I have to choose between economics or city studies to combine with my public policy major. I'm not very strong in economics so if I combine my public policy major with economics, I'm sure I'll be dropped out of co-op. But if I major in public policy and city studies, I know I can stay in the co-op program. I'm not sure which to give up, the economics or the co-op.

Btw can I ask what the position was that you applied to? Some positions require economics students because the job may require economic knowledge
May 19, 2016
27 posts
11 upvotes
zipperz wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 4:09 pm
I see...Its just that I have to choose between economics or city studies to combine with my public policy major. I'm not very strong in economics so if I combine my public policy major with economics, I'm sure I'll be dropped out of co-op. But if I major in public policy and city studies, I know I can stay in the co-op program. I'm not sure which to give up, the economics or the co-op.

Btw can I ask what the position was that you applied to? Some positions require economics students because the job may require economic knowledge
I would say knowledge of economics is viewed pretty positively across government, but if it's not your thing and you don't enjoy it, I wouldn't worry about lack of an econ undergrad being any major hindrance to your career. As I mentioned, in my situation it only came into play to break a tie essentially.

It was a junior policy analyst role at Industry Canada and was not a posting targeting economists specifically.
Apr 11, 2017
1 posts
Hello,

I recently got an email inviting me to interview for a research position. It gave me an interview time in Ottawa, as well as the option to email them back to reschedule for a phone interview if I wasn't not located in the Ottawa region. My question is, would there be a huge difference if I did the phone interview instead of meeting them in person? I go to school in Kingston, and don't have a car (but it is not impossible for me to get to Ottawa) and am not sure how one or the other will affect my chances of being hired for the summer.

I'm also wondering how many people get to the stage of interviews. I basically applied through FSWEP, got a notifications that my CV was sent to a manager, got an email asking if i was interested to interview and then got an interview time. Did my application pass any pre-evaluation process or do they interview anyone who's CV get sent?

Thank you so so much
Apr 18, 2017
2 posts
After you got the notification that your cv was sent to a manager, how long did it take for you to get the interview email? I got a notification saying my cv was sent to a manager last week on April 12.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1856 posts
213 upvotes
Ottawa
SarVad1234 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 1:27 pm
After you got the notification that your cv was sent to a manager, how long did it take for you to get the interview email? I got a notification saying my cv was sent to a manager last week on April 12.
I don't think there is ever a defined timeline as it is up to the manager to decide based upon his/her priorities. Hopefully you get a call/e-mail soon! :)
The Rogers whisperer
RFD 15 73H 1337
Apr 18, 2017
2 posts
matradley wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 8:13 am
I don't think there is ever a defined timeline as it is up to the manager to decide based upon his/her priorities. Hopefully you get a call/e-mail soon! :)
It was sent to the RCMP. I got two one for database developer and another one for HTRA Development which I assume is related to programming. I have two side projects on my resume related to these jobs. Hopefully I get a call soon. I saw reply from someone here saying that they will hire in May or late June. Is that true?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel