Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Ask me anything about Business or Commercial Insurance!

Jan 8, 2009
830 posts
66 upvotes
GTA

Ask me anything about Business or Commercial Insurance!

Most businesses don't think about getting insurance or don't know what type of insurance they should get.

A brief overview:

Liability Insurance - Every business should have a Liability policy! Protects you in the event you get sued.

Property coverage - Including your stock, equipment, building, boiler & machinery, etc.

Commercial Auto - Vehicles used for business

Special coverages, such as Errors & Emissions, product liability, completed operations, etc.

Surety or Bonds.
Insurance & Financial Advisor

All posts on this forum are for information purpose only and can't replace your policy contract. Please contact your own broker, agent or company before acting on my suggestions. There is more to insurance than just price!
206 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
When a company asks to be an additional insured, what does that exactly mean? I always thought that company will have their own policy to protect them in the event of a claim. Does that mean they want to piggy back off of mine?

How much does it normally cost to get a surery bond of $10k? Also for a bond certificate of say 10 employees for 5k each.

For auto insurance for business use, is this type of insurance the same if I get insurance from my automotive policy for business use?
Jan 8, 2009
830 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
Usually a company would ask to be listed as additional named insured on your liability policy. This is done to protect them as well in case they get sued because of your work. e.g a business may ask a contractor to list them as additional named insured.

They have almost the same right as you and can call an insurance company to confirm coverages, initiate a claim and get a copy of registered letter, in case the policy is cancelled.

For bonds, the cost will vary based on the type of bond you require and your financial/business history. A performance bond can range around $7-$12/thousand. A bid bond is much cheaper than that. There is also an annual fee for setting up a bonding facility.

Commercial auto insurance is not the same as business insurance. Business use covered by personal automobile insurance companies is very limited and usually restricted to occupations such as, Realtor, accountant, consultant, etc. What type of business are you in?

All posts on this forum are for information purpose only and can't replace your policy contract. Please contact your own broker, agent or company before acting on my suggestions. There is more to insurance than just price!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9401 posts
5364 upvotes
What would be the minimum annual premium that an independent IT contractor/consultant would need to pay to have his/her incorporated company insured for liability and errors and omission? I realize that this is a somewhat open-ended question but when shopping around for insurance I noticed that there is a wide range of minimum premiums and was wondering if you could shed some light or provide additional information in this area. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2006
1067 posts
117 upvotes
Calgary
choclover wrote: What would be the minimum annual premium that an independent IT contractor/consultant would need to pay to have his/her incorporated company insured for liability and errors and omission? I realize that this is a somewhat open-ended question but when shopping around for insurance I noticed that there is a wide range of minimum premiums and was wondering if you could shed some light or provide additional information in this area. Thanks!

Hard to say, every company is different in regards to minimum premium for a specific operation.
Alberta Auto, Home, Business and Travel Insurance Broker
Jan 8, 2009
830 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
choclover wrote: What would be the minimum annual premium that an independent IT contractor/consultant would need to pay to have his/her incorporated company insured for liability and errors and omission? I realize that this is a somewhat open-ended question but when shopping around for insurance I noticed that there is a wide range of minimum premiums and was wondering if you could shed some light or provide additional information in this area. Thanks!

Minimum premium on liability policy is usually around $750/year.

E&O would depend on factors such as revenue, years in business, any USA sales, etc.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9401 posts
5364 upvotes
Insurance-Broker wrote: Minimum premium on liability policy is usually around $750/year.

E&O would depend on factors such as revenue, years in business, any USA sales, etc.

Thanks for your response on this. Not sure if there are rules on the RFD board against this but can you tell me which insurance company(s) offer this type of liability policy? I would love to research this further. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
Do yoy know if a seperate policy is needed if I have two companies under the same corporation? Both different service contractors
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2006
1067 posts
117 upvotes
Calgary
choclover wrote: Thanks for your response on this. Not sure if there are rules on the RFD board against this but can you tell me which insurance company(s) offer this type of liability policy? I would love to research this further. Thank you.

You can try this - but you will need to find a broker to help you obtain the insurance.

http://www.insurancewest.ca/marketfinder.php
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2006
1067 posts
117 upvotes
Calgary
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: Do yoy know if a seperate policy is needed if I have two companies under the same corporation? Both different service contractors

Your broker should be able to help you out on this.

IF both companies are under the same corporate legal name, you can have 1 policy but the insurance company will based the insurance on all of the operations.
It might be better to do seperate policy but best to talk to your broker since I don't know your situation.
Jan 8, 2009
830 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: Do yoy know if a seperate policy is needed if I have two companies under the same corporation? Both different service contractors

It can be done both ways! Need to go over pros and cons.

Jan 8, 2009
830 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
choclover wrote: Thanks for your response on this. Not sure if there are rules on the RFD board against this but can you tell me which insurance company(s) offer this type of liability policy? I would love to research this further. Thank you.

For commercial policies, you are best served by using a broker. Please look for one in your area or ask someone for a referral.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
Commercial Auto
2007 dodge sprinter ex
driving record 3 years

i been getting quotes for 3000????

Is it really that more expensive for commercial i run my own cleaning business
Jan 8, 2009
830 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
sassysue wrote: Commercial Auto
2007 dodge sprinter ex
driving record 3 years

i been getting quotes for 3000????

Is it really that more expensive for commercial i run my own cleaning business
It depends on your record, location, etc. I can check for you if you send me your details.

Thanks

Aug 20, 2009
132 posts
20 upvotes
what's the typical commission range a broker receive? how much cheaper would insurance be if the customer went directly to who the broker was trying to suggest (e.g. negotiating power of no finders fee vs. broker commission)?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2006
1067 posts
117 upvotes
Calgary
yahi wrote: what's the typical commission range a broker receive? how much cheaper would insurance be if the customer went directly to who the broker was trying to suggest (e.g. negotiating power of no finders fee vs. broker commission)?
You can't go directly to the company for 99% of business insurance. Commission range from 10-20% depending on what the insurance is...
Jan 24, 2007
136 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Insurance-Broker wrote: Most businesses don't think about getting insurance or don't know what type of insurance they should get.

A brief overview:

Liability Insurance - Every business should have a Liability policy! Protects you in the event you get sued.

Property coverage - Including your stock, equipment, building, boiler & machinery, etc.

Commercial Auto - Vehicles used for business

Special coverages, such as Errors & Emissions, product liability, completed operations, etc.

Surety or Bonds.
Hello!

I operate a sole proprietorship fashion design-ecommerce business out of my owned condo. I currently have no employees but may get an intern in the next 6 months.

I have condo insurance (through PC) but am assuming this would not cover any apparel inventory (in the case it was destroyed). What type of coverage would you recommend?

Thansk!
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
yahi wrote: what's the typical commission range a broker receive? how much cheaper would insurance be if the customer went directly to who the broker was trying to suggest (e.g. negotiating power of no finders fee vs. broker commission)?
I looked into this myself and was quite surprised that most insurance companies aren't even licensed to sell their own products to thr general public! They told me that I had to go through a broker instead.
Jan 8, 2009
830 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
ilovetrouble wrote: Hello!

I operate a sole proprietorship fashion design-ecommerce business out of my owned condo. I currently have no employees but may get an intern in the next 6 months.

I have condo insurance (through PC) but am assuming this would not cover any apparel inventory (in the case it was destroyed). What type of coverage would you recommend?

Thansk!
You would need liability coverage with some contents built-in. Send me some details of your business with estimated revenue.

Jan 8, 2009
830 posts
66 upvotes
GTA
Like others already mentioned, you need to use a broker to get commercial insurance because the coverages are not usually standard and vary a lot between insurance carriers.

Auto insurance commission is usually 10-12.5% split between the broker and the brokerage used and property is 15-20%.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)