Ask me anything about Executive Search / Recruitment

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2017 6:26 pm
[OP]
Jun 6, 2007
125 posts
3 upvotes

Ask me anything about Executive Search / Recruitment

Happy to answer any questions about this industry.
6 replies
[OP]
Jun 6, 2007
125 posts
3 upvotes
FedExpress wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 9:45 pm
Are your placements FTE only or contractors as well?
Only full time
Sep 11, 2017
34 posts
5 upvotes
How important is Social IQ in placing a candidate and how as a recruiter can you determine if the candidate has the right IQ that the client wants?
[OP]
Jun 6, 2007
125 posts
3 upvotes
FedExpress wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:33 am
How important is Social IQ in placing a candidate and how as a recruiter can you determine if the candidate has the right IQ that the client wants?
I would correlate your question to emotional intelligence. It is important in general. At the executive levels, most meet baseline threshold otherwise they would not be an "executive".

Depending on the role, clients may care more or less for this (because smart clients know they cant have everything). E.g., CEO/EVP or SVP of Sales: very high need for it. SVP of technical operations... need it to be strong but can pass with lower if everything else is through the roof.

It is judged with competency based interviews, psychometric tests, and recruiters judgement.
Jan 12, 2017
39 posts
7 upvotes
Is there a difference in the screening and recruitment process when an executive search firm is engaged vs typical in-house hr or is it a qualitative enhancement (ie more rigorous checks, more insightful feedback, more hands on/recommend candidates vs administrative)?

When companies use an executive search firm vs in-house HR for non-private companies/government/crown agencies, is there often more flexibility in compensation?

Thanks!
[OP]
Jun 6, 2007
125 posts
3 upvotes
Chickennbeans wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:11 pm
Is there a difference in the screening and recruitment process when an executive search firm is engaged vs typical in-house hr or is it a qualitative enhancement (ie more rigorous checks, more insightful feedback, more hands on/recommend candidates vs administrative)?

When companies use an executive search firm vs in-house HR for non-private companies/government/crown agencies, is there often more flexibility in compensation?

Thanks!
The top firms identify executives that are right for the role via their network (i.e., database with knowledge captured by colleagues around world). There are no job postings. Those potential candidates are reached out to and convinced to consider the opportunity - which is typically a step up for them based various factors (e.g., money, location, title, topic, company brand, etc.).

The premise is getting the best person for the job, not the available person for the job. And senior leaders know that the best person vs. an acceptable person can make a huge difference for their company's profitability.

These firms also guarantee placements - if anything goes wrong and the client no longer wants the candidate, the new search is free for up to a year. So finding the best is in both party's interest vs. finding whatever works and moving on.

In terms of compensation: i think you have a sounding board as the mediator when their is a recruiter involved. Good recruiters are transparent to both parties, with a slight bias towards the client (who is paying them).