• Dec 2nd, 2017 6:47 pm
Tags:
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
newgame99 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2014 12:25 am
Anyone know what the abbe value for SV Centoptic 1.67? My prescription is -5.25 spherical.

That index has an abbe value of about 33. I'm sure you googled that already.
Dec 23, 2008
791 posts
57 upvotes
Guelph
I thought different brands had different abbe value?
sunny87 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2014 1:58 am
That index has an abbe value of about 33. I'm sure you googled that already.
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
newgame99 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2014 9:46 am
I thought different brands had different abbe value?
It does by a small amount. Unfortunately, I can't say with certainty what abbe value for that centoptic lens would be. You can try calling the manufacturer / lab for it if it really would matters to you.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6788 posts
683 upvotes
Alberta
Not sure about the digital. Price was without any promo. Think that Loblaws (Real Cdn Superstore in AB) was $100 more.

Dave
Dec 23, 2008
791 posts
57 upvotes
Guelph
So I got my 1.67 lenses. I have a problem though, when I look straight on its fine but slight turn of my head the vision gets blurry/out of focus. For example, as I my typing, if I turn my head slightly the text gets out of focus. If look from outside of the centre, its not so clear. Its quite annoying having to turn your head fully just so that you can see things clearly!

Do you think something is wrong with my lenses, or maybe it was done incorrectly?

FYI - My prescription is -5.25 SPHERICAL, in both eyes. The frames are semi-rimless.
Jun 25, 2009
391 posts
41 upvotes
York
I went to my optometrist to ask if I could get a prescription for contact lenses and the lady at the reception desk gave me the run around...basically told me to get fitted wherever I plan to buy my contact lenses. Um...what if I want to buy them online? :/ I haven't worn contacts in years, and I'm sure my prescription has changed, plus I have astigmatism. What should I do if I want to get some dailies online? :/
Dec 23, 2008
791 posts
57 upvotes
Guelph
You need to first get fitted by an Optomerist because there are some factors to consider. For example, different brands fit you eye better. Once this has been done, usually a small fee you can order contacts online after you know which brands work well for you and of course the Optomerist will tell you the appropriate prescription.
mrdc wrote:
Jul 16th, 2014 12:11 am
I went to my optometrist to ask if I could get a prescription for contact lenses and the lady at the reception desk gave me the run around...basically told me to get fitted wherever I plan to buy my contact lenses. Um...what if I want to buy them online? :/ I haven't worn contacts in years, and I'm sure my prescription has changed, plus I have astigmatism. What should I do if I want to get some dailies online? :/
Jun 25, 2009
391 posts
41 upvotes
York
newgame99 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2014 12:14 am
You need to first get fitted by an Optomerist because there are some factors to consider. For example, different brands fit you eye better. Once this has been done, usually a small fee you can order contacts online after you know which brands work well for you and of course the Optomerist will tell you the appropriate prescription.
Maybe it's just my optometrist, then... They seem only interested in giving me the exam if I buy the contacts from them... The receptionist also suggested I convert my eyeglass prescription... That sounds completely wrong to me. Looks like I need to find another optometrist...
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
mrdc wrote:
Jul 16th, 2014 12:27 am
Maybe it's just my optometrist, then... They seem only interested in giving me the exam if I buy the contacts from them... The receptionist also suggested I convert my eyeglass prescription... That sounds completely wrong to me. Looks like I need to find another optometrist...
The receptionist is not wrong, hence why you should seek out an Eye Care Professional to help you.

The common practice in the business is to convert a spectacle RX to Contact lens Rx. This is done then tested and fitted in your eyes to make sure the fit and visual acuity of this conversion is done well.

I hope you don't write off your optometrist for trying to serve in your best interests.
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
newgame99 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2014 11:01 pm
So I got my 1.67 lenses. I have a problem though, when I look straight on its fine but slight turn of my head the vision gets blurry/out of focus. For example, as I my typing, if I turn my head slightly the text gets out of focus. If look from outside of the centre, its not so clear. Its quite annoying having to turn your head fully just so that you can see things clearly!

Do you think something is wrong with my lenses, or maybe it was done incorrectly?

FYI - My prescription is -5.25 SPHERICAL, in both eyes. The frames are semi-rimless.
I assumed you are using the same frames as you previously had and just changed lenses? If that's the case, bring it into the optical that did your lenses with your old lenses with you and talk to them about it.

Without seeing the lenses myself, I couldn't possibly tell you if there's a problem with them. However, your problem that your describing doesn't seem abnormal.
Jan 7, 2015
284 posts
29 upvotes
GVR
First time ordering glasses online, I have a few questions.

1. Does the PD have to be exact? I 'm planning to measure at home.
2. Will a $100 order be charged tax/duty by Canada Post, UPS, or Fedex? I may ship to America if there is a potential in extra duties.
3. If I get prescription sunglasses, should I opt in for the polarized lens option? I will only use these occasionally. If I don't choose polarized, I could opt in for the 80% gray tint w/ UV protection.
Dec 23, 2008
791 posts
57 upvotes
Guelph
sunny87 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2014 1:28 am
I assumed you are using the same frames as you previously had and just changed lenses? If that's the case, bring it into the optical that did your lenses with your old lenses with you and talk to them about it.

Without seeing the lenses myself, I couldn't possibly tell you if there's a problem with them. However, your problem that your describing doesn't seem abnormal.
Actually I got new frames.
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
newgame99 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2014 8:36 am
Actually I got new frames.
Is it safe to assume that your frames are bigger, wider, or more curved?

Lots of factors in play unfortunately, really something that should be dealt with in person. Head back into the location you got your spex and have them diagnose it in person with you. Hope it gets solved.
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
CornPops wrote:
Jul 16th, 2014 3:24 am
First time ordering glasses online, I have a few questions.

1. Does the PD have to be exact? I 'm planning to measure at home.
2. Will a $100 order be charged tax/duty by Canada Post, UPS, or Fedex? I may ship to America if there is a potential in extra duties.
3. If I get prescription sunglasses, should I opt in for the polarized lens option? I will only use these occasionally. If I don't choose polarized, I could opt in for the 80% gray tint w/ UV protection.
1. Yes it should be exact. You've only got one pair of eyes, try not to gamble with them.
2. Depends on the company, but one of the largest companies for online eyewear is in BC so you shouldn't be incur duty. Prescription eyewear is not taxable.
3. In most cases, a polarized lens will enhance your visual clarity. It is worth the extra expense if given the option and it's not costing you an arm and a leg.

Note: * Light reading for your question 1 on PD.
http://www.daniellivingston.com/2012/06 ... tance.html

It does a very good job at breaking down why your PD measurement matters and is written in a consumer friendly language.
Jan 7, 2015
284 posts
29 upvotes
GVR
sunny87 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2014 5:07 pm
1. Yes it should be exact. You've only got one pair of eyes, try not to gamble with them.
2. Depends on the company, but one of the largest companies for online eyewear is in BC so you shouldn't be incur duty. Prescription eyewear is not taxable.
3. In most cases, a polarized lens will enhance your visual clarity. It is worth the extra expense if given the option and it's not costing you an arm and a leg.

Note: * Light reading for your question 1 on PD.
http://www.daniellivingston.com/2012/06 ... tance.html

It does a very good job at breaking down why your PD measurement matters and is written in a consumer friendly language.
I really appreciate the link, I can finally understand what they are talking about! I'm getting an average of 65mm for my PD.

I'm planning to order from EYEBUYDIRECT, because their styles are more fitting for me.