Ask me anything about eyeglasses and the industry

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2017 6:47 pm
Tags:
Dec 23, 2008
791 posts
57 upvotes
Guelph
Where do you live? If you live in Toronto or Vancouver, you can get your PD measured in store location of ClearlyContacts and order your glasses there. They have good customer service, well at least the online portion.
CornPops wrote:
Jul 16th, 2014 6:14 pm
I really appreciate the link, I can finally understand what they are talking about! I'm getting an average of 65mm for my PD.

I'm planning to order from EYEBUYDIRECT, because their styles are more fitting for me.
Dec 23, 2008
791 posts
57 upvotes
Guelph
sunny87 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2014 5:02 pm
Is it safe to assume that your frames are bigger, wider, or more curved?

Lots of factors in play unfortunately, really something that should be dealt with in person. Head back into the location you got your spex and have them diagnose it in person with you. Hope it gets solved.
I went back to the place, and the Optican did an adjustment (raised my glasses up, made nosepads tighter). It has helped slightly. I bought my frames my ClearlyContacts, here is the link
They are not very big since I don't like big glasses and I am not a big guy. Now my old glasses were more oval shaped and of course not as wide. With my old glasses, I could see basically just fine from any angle without any problems and I did mention that to the Optician and he said it is due to the fact the old glasses are smaller in width. And that is going from -5.00 SPHERICAL (old glasses) in both eyes to -5.25 SPHERICAL(new glasses) So the change is very minimal.

The Optician also said that its very common for people with high prescription to have this issue. Not sure about that though!

I am not sure if its due to having 1.67 index glasses, I am pretty sure my old glasses are 1.6. I remember reading 1.67 lenses cause more disortations? I think I should have gotten 1.6, the Optician didn't mention anything about high index lenses is the issue, maybe because he doesn't want to shift any blame to himself/the lab and have to change it to 1.6?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4664 posts
556 upvotes
Has anyone purchased progressive lenses at clearly contacts? is it recommended?
Jan 1, 2011
188 posts
29 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I just got a new updated Rx and got lenses put in at Lenscrafters however, the lenses seem significantly cheaper than the Clearly Contacts lenses I had before. The Lenscrafters Featherwate Classics are thicker (-3.00) and I think I just scratched the AR coating on day 2! So, what should I do? Can CC update lenses if I send them back? Or should I find another optical store with perhaps better lens brands, particularly better AR coat and scratch.
Oct 29, 2013
225 posts
15 upvotes
Markham, ON
I'm thinking about buying frames from HK (cuz it's cheaper)
Where would I find a place to fit lenses for my prescription? I know a lot of places don't allow you to bring in your own frames
Nov 8, 2009
220 posts
48 upvotes
As part of my student health plan I have $80 to use for vision coverage so what could that get me?
Jun 24, 2005
164 posts
2 upvotes
what's warranty for nikon high-index transition lens? Is that 2 years or only 1 years or 18 months? please advise. thanks.
Feb 7, 2012
581 posts
121 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
linske wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 7:16 pm
As part of my student health plan I have $80 to use for vision coverage so what could that get me?
$80 may pay for your eye exam although some places charge more.
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
tonychouca wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2014 11:41 pm
what's warranty for nikon high-index transition lens? Is that 2 years or only 1 years or 18 months? please advise. thanks.
Warranty is dependent upon whatever it is that the store offers.
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
scension wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 4:56 pm
I'm thinking about buying frames from HK (cuz it's cheaper)
Where would I find a place to fit lenses for my prescription? I know a lot of places don't allow you to bring in your own frames
Almost all big box / chain opticals will do just your lenses, but if you're going to HK for it you might as well get it done there. It's so much cheaper.
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
ns1225 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2014 5:05 pm
I just got a new updated Rx and got lenses put in at Lenscrafters however, the lenses seem significantly cheaper than the Clearly Contacts lenses I had before. The Lenscrafters Featherwate Classics are thicker (-3.00) and I think I just scratched the AR coating on day 2! So, what should I do? Can CC update lenses if I send them back? Or should I find another optical store with perhaps better lens brands, particularly better AR coat and scratch.
1. CC doesn't upgrade the rx of existing lenses. That's not how lenses work unfortunately.
2. Lens thickness can be contributed by a stronger prescription and a larger frame.
3. Anything can be scratched, I highly doubt your CC lenses were any more hardy than the ones from LC.
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
blexann wrote:
Jul 26th, 2014 2:26 pm
Has anyone purchased progressive lenses at clearly contacts? is it recommended?
With Single Vision there are less complications involved. With progressives, it's quite an exact measurement to be able to see well out of it. Ordering them online without being able to take the height measurements correctly will only hamper your experience with them. You should reconsider doing progressives from an online company unless you perhaps know an optician that will do all the measurements for you.
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
newgame99 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2014 8:22 pm
I went back to the place, and the Optican did an adjustment (raised my glasses up, made nosepads tighter). It has helped slightly. I bought my frames my ClearlyContacts, here is the link
They are not very big since I don't like big glasses and I am not a big guy. Now my old glasses were more oval shaped and of course not as wide. With my old glasses, I could see basically just fine from any angle without any problems and I did mention that to the Optician and he said it is due to the fact the old glasses are smaller in width. And that is going from -5.00 SPHERICAL (old glasses) in both eyes to -5.25 SPHERICAL(new glasses) So the change is very minimal.

The Optician also said that its very common for people with high prescription to have this issue. Not sure about that though!

I am not sure if its due to having 1.67 index glasses, I am pretty sure my old glasses are 1.6. I remember reading 1.67 lenses cause more disortations? I think I should have gotten 1.6, the Optician didn't mention anything about high index lenses is the issue, maybe because he doesn't want to shift any blame to himself/the lab and have to change it to 1.6?
A wider lens means that the difference between your pupil to the lens on the edge of the new (and wider) lens is a longer distance. It may seems insignificant but the prescription strength changes with every millimeter away. Also it may also be affected by the curvature of your new / old friends that you were used to.

Once again, it's hard to say without seeing in person to diagnose the issues, but 1.67 abbe values are far from being the forefront of the problem imo.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1893 posts
22 upvotes
I just bought a new pair of prescription sunglasses and I am now thinking I need to do a eye exam again because my normal glasses are giving me some problems. I know my eyes have gotten a bit worse than what they were last year so my question is, if I get new regular glasses which have a stronger prescription, can I still wear my sunglasses? My current prescription is very low (-0.75 on both eyes).
Whatchu know about ice cream?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2478 posts
55 upvotes
Ottawa
Anyway to get a free eye exam?
"Sometimes I dig the dirty yet sweet oriental pong of this frag, but I wonder if it really makes sense to smell like I've hidden spice bags in all of my pockets?" ~basenotes.net