• Dec 2nd, 2017 6:47 pm
Tags:
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
flyingdutchman wrote:
Aug 11th, 2014 1:42 pm
I just bought a new pair of prescription sunglasses and I am now thinking I need to do a eye exam again because my normal glasses are giving me some problems. I know my eyes have gotten a bit worse than what they were last year so my question is, if I get new regular glasses which have a stronger prescription, can I still wear my sunglasses? My current prescription is very low (-0.75 on both eyes).
If the Rx is only a minor change you probably will be fine with your old sun specs.
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
Diamondog wrote:
Aug 11th, 2014 2:18 pm
Anyway to get a free eye exam?
If you're under 19 or 65 and older then you will qualify for an eye examination covered by OHIP once a year.

That or get diabetes and you'll also be covered ;)

Lastly, I think Fuji Optical still does free "eye examinations" if you buy their glasses. I put it in quotation because I personally don't know if they are doing a full eye examination or if they are simply doing a sight test to get your Rx.
Aug 18, 2008
54 posts
3 upvotes
henrycalvin wrote:
Aug 16th, 2014 1:07 am
've been thinking about LASIK! I wear glasses (a progressive bifocal) when not cycling. But I wear contacts when I bicycle or swim. The contacts provide no "close" or reading vision so I use a stick-on reading lens in my cycling glasses. I also have a mirror semi-permanently mounted to the cycling glasses.
You can try multifocal contact lenses which give you distance and near vision.
Oct 10, 2014
8 posts
2 upvotes
North York, ON
Hey, I ordered a pair of Juicy Couture eyeglasses SV with nikon ice coating for $307. Is that a good price? And is the nikon coating good compared to other brands? I saw you mention that you work at Pacific mall, which store is it?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1741 posts
273 upvotes
Somewhere Out There
Ive been using single vision lenses for 2 yrs and i cant wear my SV when using computer
My insurance is up so i told my OD that i cant use my SV while using computer
And added that i cant read anything close

So after the check up i was given the following

OS -0.75 ADD + 1.25
DS -0.75. ADD + 1.25

I use computers more thank 8 hrs a day
Insurance coverage plus HEALth spending up to $800

Lenscrafters quoted me the following
Frames and lenses for clear and sunglasses
Computer lens opthalmic
Sv for sunglasses for $685

Price online for the frame alone is $290 and $260 online at rayban website

I want to use the best lens available for computer lens
Zeiss office lens
Nikon presio
Varilux omputer
Accolade computer

Could you please help me pick the best lens for my prescription.
Aug 15, 2014
7 posts
Toronto, ON
EyeOfTheTiger wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 9:01 am
You can try multifocal contact lenses which give you distance and near vision.
Yeah i also got the same advice from my friend and now i m using it and they are fine for me.....
Feb 2, 2015
21 posts
5 upvotes
somewhere in ON
There is no way to order in some different Gucci sunglasses and Bvlgari sunglasses from Safilo Canada or Luxottica Canada if you open an online sunglasses store, isn't it?
Nov 4, 2013
52 posts
12 upvotes
missmaldita wrote:
Jun 25th, 2015 9:55 am
can you recommend me THE BEST place to buy my prescription eyeglasses? I've bought local and from ClearlyContacts
If you are fine with buying online, you might wanna try smartbuyglasses. With the frame & lens package I got, their price was better than US sites. Easier returns as well since they have a warehouse based in Canada. For contacts, it would still be cheaper to buy from a US site (i.e. vision direct - $9.99 international shipping).
May 23, 2006
210 posts
7 upvotes
Has anyone made the switch to single vision free form digital lenses? Where did you get them done and what brand of lenses? Any potential problems that outweigh the benefits?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3499 posts
291 upvotes
Hi, not sure if OP still responds but here it goes

I wear Rx glasses for myopia ~-5 (now with slight astigmatism) for nearly 15 years. I used to switch out glasses may be every 2 years but my existing ones have lasted 6 years. Since it's something I wear daily and lasts a while I dont mind investing a bit more in my vision so to speak.

In the past I've used mostly no brand name lenses...I've used Essilor once. I'd like to inquire about Nikon or Zeiss lenses and if they are worth the premium. How do they stack up against Essilor and other brand names?

I feel like this is something that you just won't know what suits your preference unless you try them out. But it's not like contact lens fitting where you get to sample each one before you commit.

Sorry I know the question is very broad...I don't have much optical IQ so please bare with me.

Thanks.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Jun 15, 2014
2 posts
Toronto, ON
I took my sunglasses (originally purchased from them) for repair. They gave me back a pair of fake look-alike and then denied any responsibility.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1893 posts
22 upvotes
Could someone recommend me a good place to get a good deal on prescription lenses?

I like my current frames but my eyes have gotten worse so I need a new prescription. I need to change my day to day lenses as well as my Ray Ban polarized lenses (prescription as well). And no, I dont want transition lenses.

Any good places you guys can recommend?
Whatchu know about ice cream?