• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2017 6:47 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2001
7742 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
Hi, can someone explain what Spexx is all about?

I was at a mall yesterday and the lady said that if I had insurance they could set me up for an appointment and get me Ray Ban sunglasses that were $220 and that it would not need to be subscription sunglasses.

Do others do this as well? I had no idea that I could do this and I've had insurance for over 10 years.
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Where is glasses lens made in Canada? Does the optometrist send the prescription to the US?
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
consumerPI wrote:
May 25th, 2016 10:50 am
Hi, can someone explain what Spexx is all about?

I was at a mall yesterday and the lady said that if I had insurance they could set me up for an appointment and get me Ray Ban sunglasses that were $220 and that it would not need to be subscription sunglasses.

Do others do this as well? I had no idea that I could do this and I've had insurance for over 10 years.
Pretty sure they are trying to colour the grey area. If you gget an appointment with and Optometrist and they deem you have even the SLIGHTEST of correction you can get prescription sunglasses. Regardless, they will need to supply you with the original non prescription lenses that came with the rayban anyways. What you choose to do with the prescription lenses or non prescription lenses is up to you.

You get it?
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
picard12 wrote:
May 26th, 2016 7:34 am
Where is glasses lens made in Canada? Does the optometrist send the prescription to the US?
Glasses lenses are made from a variety of labs across Canada.

If you're talking about sending over a prescription paper to the US, you or the optometrist can do that at your own will. If you're saying if they get their glasses made in the US? No, it's not cost effective nor would the turnaround time be quick enough for most consumers.
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
What is difference between Nikon and essilor lens?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1731 posts
178 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I bought a pair of prescription sunglasses from Sears. One lens is polarized the other is not. Also the prescription appears to be stronger om the sunglasses then on the normal glasses I bought at the same time. Are either of those things normal?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2001
7742 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
I ended up trying Spexx the other day. The whole experience has been odd to say the least. Currently waiting for sunglasses to be ordered even though they originally wanted to give me the display model and they didn't give me a receipt for the sunglasses purchase (WTF?). I'll give a detailed report once the the transaction is complete.
sunny87 wrote:
May 28th, 2016 11:03 pm
Glasses lenses are made from a variety of labs across Canada.

If you're talking about sending over a prescription paper to the US, you or the optometrist can do that at your own will. If you're saying if they get their glasses made in the US? No, it's not cost effective nor would the turnaround time be quick enough for most consumers.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11099 posts
1532 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Why do eyeglass frames cost so much?

Can I just take an old vintage pair of frames and put new lenses in them, in order to save money? Or, do I have to get the frames and lenses at the same retailer?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18916 posts
4125 upvotes
Toronto
frames do not cost much per se when compared to the lens ... that's most likely is where the bulk of the profit is for the eyeglasses shops.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jun 25th, 2016 4:56 pm

Can I just take an old vintage pair of frames and put new lenses in them, in order to save money? Or, do I have to get the frames and lenses at the same retailer?
It can depend on your prescription. My husband has a seriously strong prescription. In order to avoid Coke bottle lenses he has to buy small frames to accommodate the thinner lenses.
Feb 2, 2015
23 posts
5 upvotes
somewhere in ON
Hi, folks, when I bring my own sunglasses to a optical store and order the lens only for that frame, then If I am fooled(taken in) on the lens by that store, who (eg. regulator, etc.) can I make a complaint and claim to?

"fooled on the lens", I mean they give me the lens that should NOT be thicker (on the edge), I have my existing sunglasses with its lens index and the prescription that are exactly the same to the above-mentioned one, and the width of lens of the existing one is only 1 mm wider than the above-mentioned one.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7634 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
Is Costco much cheaper than Lenscrafters for prescription glasses?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3433 posts
4440 upvotes
Ontario
Becks wrote:
Jun 25th, 2016 4:56 pm

Brand names are licensed by entities that have the name rights, so I believe that eyeglass companies are using the names they buy licensing rights to in their promotional material to get foot traffic in stores.
Also there was spring news about Essilor and another eyewear company (Luxxotica) merging so they'd have about 90% or more of the eyewear market. That leaves smaller independent companies to work harder to attract clients for their products. I am aware of an Italian frame company that does its own repairs and not allocate them to third-party contractors. Their frames run $400 plus in the Ancaster, ON area.

As for frames-I bought my eyewear at one eye clinic a few years ago and intend to have my eye doctor's clinic replace the lenses in same frames with new updated lenses as I don't have insurance nor money for new frames. I got a quote and I will find out next month if the clinic is able to do the upgrade on their equipment(won't have a guarantee) . I had looked at the new frames during an event last month and I cannot afford them nor find one with bigger frames in a style I like. My current frames are great in colour and style except for the small to me frames for the eyes. But it was the best pick of the options I had when I was shopping.
Surfing 2017. Fall, show me the roll-out of prizes!