Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Dec 13, 2010
15 posts
1 upvote
tombiosis wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 10:07 pm
I backed into a parked car while leaving a friends' driveway. Car was parked directly in line with the driveway, dark, small black car...I felt terrible. I knocked on 3 doors till I found the owner...apologized, gave him my info etc. Went to cop shop to fill out a statement, where I told the truth, said it was my fault, I just didn't see the car.
Officer at the station gave me a ticket for HTA 142 (2) starting from stopped not in safety. I never thought I would get a ticket...do I have any recourse after already admitting it was my fault? I don't mind the fine, I just don't want insurance to go up for years and years....advice???
OK no one is replying...only a few days left before I must decide how to plead or just pay the ticket. Does it matter if the ticket was issued 3 days after the accident took place? I also wonder what my chances are of having the 2 demerit points removed if I plead guilty "with an explanation"? Has anyone here ever argued HTA 142 (2) ?
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
yugo wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 1:53 pm
I had posted this a couple months back and I am going to the court on 27MAR2018. I got the disclosure details and it states that "stop sign was clear....unobstructed view...vehicle slowed to 10-15 km/hr and there was no wheel lock up. There was a continuous roll."

There is no mention of the bad road conditions at the intersection and no mention of the vehicle slipping onto the main road. I am 100% sure that I wasn't going as fast as 10-15km/hr because I was almost fully stopped (maybe around the 2-5 km/hr range) until the car's ABS kicked in (the wheels wouldn't lock up fully as a result anyway). I was going 20km/hr on the road to begin with. I am sure the officer's word is above mine with the prosecutor here and I am not sure how to defend against this.

The stop sign is a bit before the actual intersection. I took pictures of the stop sign and the intersection as there was a snow hill beside the road (above the height of my vehicle) and there is no view of the vehicle until you actually make the turn on the intersection based on where the police officer's was. I was well past the stop sign and the stopping area before I was in the officer's view. I can provide those pictures if it helps.

The prosecutor is going to see the disclosure details eventually as well so is there anything I can do here. Any recommendations would be helpful.
How many tickets did you get? What for?
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
tombiosis wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 7:59 pm
OK no one is replying...only a few days left before I must decide how to plead or just pay the ticket. Does it matter if the ticket was issued 3 days after the accident took place? I also wonder what my chances are of having the 2 demerit points removed if I plead guilty "with an explanation"? Has anyone here ever argued HTA 142 (2) ?
Officer has six months to issue you a ticket.

You can not get demerits removed or reduced. Whatever charge you are found guilty of, there are specific demerits associated with it and neither the prosecutor or JP can change them. The only thing they can change is the fine amount and time to pay. But remember that insurance does not care about demerits. If you have lots of tickets already then demerits may be an issue with regards to getting a suspension. If you have a clean record then demerits are pretty much irrelevent.

You should plead not guilty and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your Notice of Trial, then you can request disclosure (copy of officers notes, copy of reports and witness statements). Once you get these, post them so we can see if there is anyway to fight it. If the notes look good then you can just pay the ticket anytime before the trial, or show up and plead guilty with an explanation and ask for reduced fine.
--
--
Jun 16, 2008
262 posts
20 upvotes
ShrekTek wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 10:13 pm
How many tickets did you get? What for?
I got stopped for not fully stopping on the stop sign but got one ticket for not producing the ownership. I can provide the details on the notes that the police officer took if required
Dec 13, 2010
15 posts
1 upvote
ShrekTek wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 10:20 pm
Officer has six months to issue you a ticket.

You can not get demerits removed or reduced. Whatever charge you are found guilty of, there are specific demerits associated with it and neither the prosecutor or JP can change them. The only thing they can change is the fine amount and time to pay. But remember that insurance does not care about demerits. If you have lots of tickets already then demerits may be an issue with regards to getting a suspension. If you have a clean record then demerits are pretty much irrelevent.

You should plead not guilty and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your Notice of Trial, then you can request disclosure (copy of officers notes, copy of reports and witness statements). Once you get these, post them so we can see if there is anyway to fight it. If the notes look good then you can just pay the ticket anytime before the trial, or show up and plead guilty with an explanation and ask for reduced fine.
OK one more question...when the officer at the collision reporting centre issued my ticket, they were unsure which ticket to give, and had to discuss it with another officer. No officer came to the scene. If I request a trial and disclosure, can they raise the fine adding court costs or anything? or is it just buying me some time to pay?
Thanks again for replying.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1336 posts
74 upvotes
Does insurance company count your offence date on the ticket date or the court date?
- Got ticket in march for 40 over
- Reduced penalty to 10 over in July in court
When does the insurance company start counting the 3 years?

Thanks
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
yugo wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:25 am
I got stopped for not fully stopping on the stop sign but got one ticket for not producing the ownership. I can provide the details on the notes that the police officer took if required
Did you get a ticket for not stopping? If not, then all the notes you quoted are irrelevent.

I assume somewhere in the notes the officer says that he asked for ownership and you did not produce it?

There is no defense for this... he asked for it and you did not produce it, end of story. The only way to get dropped is if officer does not show up. You can still ask for reduced fine, but given officer did not give you other ticket, prosecutor will probably argue against that.
--
--
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
tombiosis wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 2:54 pm
OK one more question...when the officer at the collision reporting centre issued my ticket, they were unsure which ticket to give, and had to discuss it with another officer. No officer came to the scene. If I request a trial and disclosure, can they raise the fine adding court costs or anything? or is it just buying me some time to pay?
Thanks again for replying.
No they can't raise fine or add court costs.
--
--
Jun 16, 2008
262 posts
20 upvotes
ShrekTek wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 4:52 pm
Did you get a ticket for not stopping? If not, then all the notes you quoted are irrelevent.

I assume somewhere in the notes the officer says that he asked for ownership and you did not produce it?

There is no defense for this... he asked for it and you did not produce it, end of story. The only way to get dropped is if officer does not show up. You can still ask for reduced fine, but given officer did not give you other ticket, prosecutor will probably argue against that.
No, I didn't get a ticket for not stopping.

Yes, thats correct, it says "fall to surrender permit for motor vehicle"

Thanks for the help....I will go try my luck I guess lol at the court.
Jun 3, 2007
267 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
edvc520 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 2:57 pm
Does insurance company count your offence date on the ticket date or the court date?
- Got ticket in march for 40 over
- Reduced penalty to 10 over in July in court
When does the insurance company start counting the 3 years?

Thanks
When they renew your insurance they will check and see the ticket and raise your rates. It goes off your record 3 years from the date of the infraction, so the time that they check your driving record after that date will be when your rates should decrease.
Mar 12, 2018
1 posts
Hi this is Navneet
I was doing food deliveries today and i was going to take left turn at kipling and dixon, and my left turn was just a little bit wide, while doing so camera took the picture. but the signal was green and was green even when i completed the turn. The flash was for my car because the intersection was clear, there was no car at the moment.
i will be getting the ticket or not ?
Feb 29, 2016
109 posts
6 upvotes
I have a distracted driving ticket with the court date on March 29 in Mississauga. The disclosure is as below:
"Observed male in black car holding a black cell phone up at chest level, both hands on phone, typing on the phone, eyes and head own staring at phone. Male did not see us beside him, honked air horn, make looked up and put phone in lap. Told male to pull over to right, activated roof lights, made stop at above location. Upon approaching the vehicle, male had cell phone in between his legs, faced up on driver side. Male advised "I was not texting, I was ending a call". Male also advised "Sir, I was at a red light and stopped". I educated male on the laws of distracted driving. I observed the male with a clear and unobstructed view through passenger window."

Wondering if XCOPPERS will be of any help? Has anyone used XCOPPERS before? They're asking for $350 to fight this ticket.
Feb 7, 2013
134 posts
10 upvotes
I just got 2 tickets in the State of NY about 3 hours away from Ontario. One was for speeding and one for a front broken head light. How do I process with this. Will it affect my insurance for the speeding and head light ?
I fixed the headlight and got it check and sign by a ON officer.
Feb 13, 2017
130 posts
64 upvotes
ON
rohan1985 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 11:01 am
Male advised "I was not texting, I was ending a call". Male also advised "Sir, I was at a red light and stopped". I educated male on the laws of distracted driving. I observed the male with a clear and unobstructed view through passenger window."[/i]

Wondering if XCOPPERS will be of any help? Has anyone used XCOPPERS before? They're asking for $350 to fight this ticket.
The part in bold means you have already confessed. There is not much that can be done IMO
Mar 14, 2018
0 posts
As long as you touch the phone and were caught its a ticket. Now it's 500 fine and some points. Have to fight it out in court.Get a paralegal. Hired some east Indian guy called Kumar from Scarborough. Looks like a kid. Bit of an accent. Think he's somewhere in Markham road.