Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

May 30, 2009
177 posts
11 upvotes
Montreal
Hi, just wondering if you know what this means? I got a speeding ticket on the 30th of march. I went to pay the ticket today and entered the offence number is ticket number not found. What should I do? thx
Jun 15, 2017
642 posts
144 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
akontario wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 1:35 am
Hi ShrekTrek,

Thanks for clarifying my doubts.

1. So, in this case, Should I call and get a trial date and then mail them the Disclosure request once they send me the trial date OR
should I send in the disclosure request anyways to save time and also call tomorrow to get a trial date?

2. I will ask my friend to be my witness but would that be enough? I mean a family member or a friend would tend to be biased towards me right?
In this case, it will be me, witness (my friend) against the cop. Sorry, I am just trying to understand how this works...

3. It's also possible that there were 2 cops in the car which pulled us over, then can the second cop become their witness and testify against us?

4. Can the cop stopping us towards the right side of the highway work in our favour as this is the only main argument I have to show that I always intended to move over to the next lane ( they were stopped towards the far left side of the highway before he started following me )

5. As my resolution meeting date is June 22, 2018... can the trial date be around the same time or it can be at a later or earlier date? Should I call or mail to get a trial date?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Cheers,
ak
1. Get trial date first then send disclosure request.
2. Yes, you + friend/family against cop. You by yourself will definitely lose. If you can bring everybody that was in the car, even better.
3. Yes, but they would need to provide you the notes of ALL officers that will be testifying so you will know what they are going to say. If in disclosure they only provide one set of notes then only one officer will be there.
4. Not sure I understand what you are asking, but where the cop stops you to give you the ticket is irrelevent to the ticket you got, and wont help you at all.
5. Call and tell them you want a trial date are not going to be attending early resolution. The trial date will most likely be months later than the early resolution date.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
Jun 15, 2017
642 posts
144 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
qqq17 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 2:18 am
Hi, just wondering if you know what this means? I got a speeding ticket on the 30th of march. I went to pay the ticket today and entered the offence number is ticket number not found. What should I do? thx
It can take weeks for ticket to end up in online system.

Call provincial offences and ask them the status of your ticket. Do NOT tell them you want to pay it, because they will take your money even if it is not in the system. Just ask for the status of the ticket.

But your best bet, assuming your address is correct on your drivers license, is to just wait to get a Notice of Conviction in the mail and then pay it.

There is no point paying the ticket if the officer did not file it, and you will not receieve any notice so you can just ignore it. If the officer did file it, then after 15 days they will mail out notice of conviction and once you get it, then you can pay it.
--
--
May 30, 2009
177 posts
11 upvotes
Montreal
thanks for the response. I know the ticket says to pay in 15 days. Are there any penalties paying it after the 15 days?

ShrekTek wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 3:27 am
It can take weeks for ticket to end up in online system.

Call provincial offences and ask them the status of your ticket. Do NOT tell them you want to pay it, because they will take your money even if it is not in the system. Just ask for the status of the ticket.

But your best bet, assuming your address is correct on your drivers license, is to just wait to get a Notice of Conviction in the mail and then pay it.

There is no point paying the ticket if the officer did not file it, and you will not receieve any notice so you can just ignore it. If the officer did file it, then after 15 days they will mail out notice of conviction and once you get it, then you can pay it.
Apr 1, 2009
247 posts
70 upvotes
ShrekTek wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 3:23 pm
Not seeing the bus is not an excuse to beat the ticket.

Plead not guilty and requet a trial with the officer present. Once you get the notice of trial, request disclosure (officers notes). Once you get the notes, post them here so we can review and see if there is something missing.
We are willing to take a lesser charge, she choose to meet with the prosecutor. If the charge cannot be reduced we will request for a trial. Thanks for the help for now.
Jun 15, 2017
642 posts
144 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
qqq17 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 11:22 am
thanks for the response. I know the ticket says to pay in 15 days. Are there any penalties paying it after the 15 days?
Is this Ontario? Read it carefully. Pretty sure it does NOT say pay in 15 days. It says you have 15 days to respond if you want to plead not guilty. There is no penalty after 15 days.
--
--
Aug 3, 2006
400 posts
174 upvotes
My sister has a court date for a speeding ticket in Chilliwack, BC on Thursday but she lives in Kelowna, BC and can't get off work. I advised her to get an adjournment but will they be able to process it in such a short time frame. I am guessing it is best for her to visit the court in person and apply to expedite the process, any clue on how long this would take? Also if the adjournment is denied, is it possible for her to hire a paralegal and get the adjournment on Thursday during the actual court proceeding. I suppose the paralegal would inform the judge that she cannot attend due to her work commitments. What is the likelihood that the judge would grant the adjournment in the second case?
May 30, 2009
177 posts
11 upvotes
Montreal
yes this is in Ontario. City of Hamilton.

Ok, I did read the ticket. It says after 15 days, it will be entered as a conviction. Upon conviction, additional costs will be added to the total payable.

If the fine goes into default, an administrative fee will be added and steps will be taken to enforce your defaulted fine. For example, information may be provided to a consumer reporting agency and for certain offences, including, speeding, your driver's licence may be suspended

Do you know what additional costs are and how much with would be? its a 40 dollar ticket.
ShrekTek wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 11:58 am
Is this Ontario? Read it carefully. Pretty sure it does NOT say pay in 15 days. It says you have 15 days to respond if you want to plead not guilty. There is no penalty after 15 days.
Jun 15, 2017
642 posts
144 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
qqq17 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 2:59 pm
yes this is in Ontario. City of Hamilton.

Ok, I did read the ticket. It says after 15 days, it will be entered as a conviction. Upon conviction, additional costs will be added to the total payable.

If the fine goes into default, an administrative fee will be added and steps will be taken to enforce your defaulted fine. For example, information may be provided to a consumer reporting agency and for certain offences, including, speeding, your driver's licence may be suspended

Do you know what additional costs are and how much with would be? its a 40 dollar ticket.
You should call them and ask them what they mean. There should be no extra costs for a conviction... only extra costs if you don't pay it after X number days of being convicted.
--
--
Apr 8, 2018
1 posts
Hello everyone,

Looking for some on my situation:

I had an incident with a guy in a truck who got upset when I merged into his lane in a construction zone(my lane was ending). I have a dashcam(front and back) video of him following me closely for half an hour after that, honking and using his phone to record me. So it appears that he went to the cops to file a complaint against me. I received a ticket for careless driving and stunting. My dash-cam shows that I was driving normally and within the speed limit. He was the one being aggressive and intimidating and swerving behind me. He can also be seen using his phone to record me WHILE driving. I have no idea how the cops mailed ticket without any investigation. I did call 911 to report him and have reference number.

Anyways, I have never received a ticket before and am looking for some guidance. I am planning on going to court to speak to crown prosecutor along-with proof of dash cam video and reference # for 911 call. Based on my situation, can you please advise how I should approach this with the crown prosecutor and what's the best way to get these charges dropped.

Given ticket was in mail, I understand there is no demerit. Is this correct?

Thank you so much
Apr 7, 2018
3 posts
ShrekTek wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 3:23 am
1. Get trial date first then send disclosure request.
2. Yes, you + friend/family against cop. You by yourself will definitely lose. If you can bring everybody that was in the car, even better.
3. Yes, but they would need to provide you the notes of ALL officers that will be testifying so you will know what they are going to say. If in disclosure they only provide one set of notes then only one officer will be there.
4. Not sure I understand what you are asking, but where the cop stops you to give you the ticket is irrelevent to the ticket you got, and wont help you at all.
5. Call and tell them you want a trial date are not going to be attending early resolution. The trial date will most likely be months later than the early resolution date.
ok so I asked my friend to be a witness and she is ok, but there's a slight problem. She will be travelling out of the country until August first week.

1. Is it ok to delay the call to the prosecutor to get a trial date and not call right away? They anyways gave me Resolution date for June 22nd. If not then I'll get the date now and "hope" my trial starts mid-August.
  2. Or is it something I can request at a later date with the reason of "witness not in the country"?
  3. By Point 4 I meant that I had intended to move into the next lane to my right after seeing the emergency vehicles (police cars), and that's the reason he stopped me to the right of the road as I was already moved away, as opposed to the previous vehicle they had stopped on the left side of the road. Either way, if this doesn't matter, it is what it is.

Thanks ShrekTek,
ak
Jan 20, 2013
1 posts
Calgary
Hi. I hope this is an easy one. Got an Alberta ticket for failure to obey traffic control device..... $233. I got the ticket March 13.
On the ticket it says that my court appearance date to appear is also March 13 (same day). Is this a fatal ticket. There is no way I could get there same day
Thanks
J.
Jun 15, 2017
642 posts
144 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
DK2018 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 9:26 pm
Hello everyone,

Looking for some on my situation:

I had an incident with a guy in a truck who got upset when I merged into his lane in a construction zone(my lane was ending). I have a dashcam(front and back) video of him following me closely for half an hour after that, honking and using his phone to record me. So it appears that he went to the cops to file a complaint against me. I received a ticket for careless driving and stunting. My dash-cam shows that I was driving normally and within the speed limit. He was the one being aggressive and intimidating and swerving behind me. He can also be seen using his phone to record me WHILE driving. I have no idea how the cops mailed ticket without any investigation. I did call 911 to report him and have reference number.

Anyways, I have never received a ticket before and am looking for some guidance. I am planning on going to court to speak to crown prosecutor along-with proof of dash cam video and reference # for 911 call. Based on my situation, can you please advise how I should approach this with the crown prosecutor and what's the best way to get these charges dropped.

Given ticket was in mail, I understand there is no demerit. Is this correct?

Thank you so much
In Ontario careless driving and stunting definitely have demerits and will definitely affect insurance hugely.

Can you scan post the ticket you got (blank out personal info and officer info).
--
--
Jun 15, 2017
642 posts
144 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
akontario wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 10:21 pm
ok so I asked my friend to be a witness and she is ok, but there's a slight problem. She will be travelling out of the country until August first week.

1. Is it ok to delay the call to the prosecutor to get a trial date and not call right away? They anyways gave me Resolution date for June 22nd. If not then I'll get the date now and "hope" my trial starts mid-August.
  2. Or is it something I can request at a later date with the reason of "witness not in the country"?
  3. By Point 4 I meant that I had intended to move into the next lane to my right after seeing the emergency vehicles (police cars), and that's the reason he stopped me to the right of the road as I was already moved away, as opposed to the previous vehicle they had stopped on the left side of the road. Either way, if this doesn't matter, it is what it is.

Thanks ShrekTek,
ak
1. & 2. No dont delay. Just let them know any dates that wont work so they can schedule around it.
3. No that wont help you.
--
--
Apr 8, 2018
1 posts
I got pulled over in Montreal. The officer said I was tagged for going 65km/h in a zone of 50 but he gave me a ticket citing 68km/h, saying that I was accellerating and he could give me a ticket all the way up to 75km/h. Is it legal to do that?? And should I fight the ticket based on the fact that the laser reading and the speed on the ticket are inconcistent??

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)