Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Apr 8, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
Barrie, ON
I got a letter from the prosecutor’s office that I have to pick up the disclosure materials. It’s stated that the materials cannot be mailed. Should I go pick it up or send them another letter to request them to deliver the materials to me?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7696 posts
183 upvotes
just wondering if anyone had advice?
thanks
sienna owner wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 8:11 pm
hi RFDers...

has anyone gotten a parking ticket where the "infraction" commented was "Park on Private Property without consent of owner" by-Law section 10 (2), and in the location of infraction area it reads "Took two spots"

this is in Markham if that helps.

any recourse?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6431 posts
3534 upvotes
Edmonton
sienna owner wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 11:49 am
just wondering if anyone had advice?
thanks
Don’t take up two spots?

Check your local jurisdiction as to the process to fight a parking ticket. In Toronto, there’s an online process; not sure about Markham.

C
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
lostlsend wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 8:44 am
I got a letter from the prosecutor’s office that I have to pick up the disclosure materials. It’s stated that the materials cannot be mailed. Should I go pick it up or send them another letter to request them to deliver the materials to me?
In Ontaio there only requiremen is to make it available to you. They are not required to send it to you.

Since they wont mail it, you could ask if they will scan and email to you. They may or may not do that.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7696 posts
183 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 12:21 pm
Don’t take up two spots?

Check your local jurisdiction as to the process to fight a parking ticket. In Toronto, there’s an online process; not sure about Markham.

C
there is a make shift hut that is built on the lot....it was used for "valet" due to the increase of employees....it's hasn't been used in approx. 3 months
one side of the hut actually crosses over the line into a spot. I park in the 2nd spot over, but "over" the line...not by much. No..i did not straddle the line...i did "cross" it....

thanks for your "suggestion"
May 30, 2009
182 posts
11 upvotes
Montreal
ShrekTek wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 6:54 pm
You should call them and ask them what they mean. There should be no extra costs for a conviction... only extra costs if you don't pay it after X number days of being convicted.
Called them up and the ticket is there damn. Its not listed but you have 45 days to pay after that there is a 5 dollar additional charge and after late payment again, something else happends.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6431 posts
3534 upvotes
Edmonton
sienna owner wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 2:38 pm
there is a make shift hut that is built on the lot....it was used for "valet" due to the increase of employees....it's hasn't been used in approx. 3 months
one side of the hut actually crosses over the line into a spot. I park in the 2nd spot over, but "over" the line...not by much. No..i did not straddle the line...i did "cross" it....

thanks for your "suggestion"
When you don’t give any details other than “I got a ticket for taking up two spots in Markham”, it’s rather hard to give very specific help...

C
Sep 10, 2014
21 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I failed to come to a complete stop today (was rolling over) at whitby go station and got a ticket for 'Fail to Obey sign on Corporation property" "section 3.17(a), Metrolinx Bylaw No.2 Fine of $100 ($125 with taxes).
When I checked the bylaw no 2 on the website (http://www.ontariocourts.ca/ocj/how-do- ... 015-11-05/ ) it doesnt say anything about demerit points. The officer told me that there is no demerit points. But I cannot find this anywhere.

Question
1. Is there any demerit points to this as this is on corporation property ? (3 demerit points is what is given I understand for this offence on a public road)

Any advice would be great.
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
xylene567 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 7:11 pm
I failed to come to a complete stop today (was rolling over) at whitby go station and got a ticket for 'Fail to Obey sign on Corporation property" "section 3.17(a), Metrolinx Bylaw No.2 Fine of $100 ($125 with taxes).
When I checked the bylaw no 2 on the website (http://www.ontariocourts.ca/ocj/how-do- ... 015-11-05/ ) it doesnt say anything about demerit points. The officer told me that there is no demerit points. But I cannot find this anywhere.

Question
1. Is there any demerit points to this as this is on corporation property ? (3 demerit points is what is given I understand for this offence on a public road)

Any advice would be great.
In Ontario, because its a municipal bylaw, there could be demerit points IF the municipality files their tickets with MTO. Some municipalities do and some don't.

As a side note, insurance does not care about demerits anyways so if it does get filed with MTO and its 0 demerits it can still cause your insurance to go up.

You should only care about demerits if you already have accumulated a bunch and are approaching suspension range.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
Sep 10, 2014
21 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ShrekTek wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 8:17 pm
In Ontario, because its a municipal bylaw, there could be demerit points IF the municipality files their tickets with MTO. Some municipalities do and some don't.

As a side note, insurance does not care about demerits anyways so if it does get filed with MTO and its 0 demerits it can still cause your insurance to go up.

You should only care about demerits if you already have accumulated a bunch and are approaching suspension range.
Understood. Any idea how I can find out if they report it. Just to assess if I am better off just paying the fine without going through the hassles?
Apr 1, 2009
74 posts
37 upvotes
Hi, thank you for any help in advance.

I rear-end the other vehicle "A" at the intersection today. When the light changed to green, every cars was moving and one in front of "A" suddenly stopped. So "A" had a hard stop and my car can't stop in time and bumped from behind. The driver called the officer to the site. After filed a report, the officer also gave me a ticket "careless drive" for fine $490 and demerits 6 points. I was shocked for such huge penalty. I tried my best to stop in that situation. Just everything happened so fast and I regret I really should kept more longer distance with "A". However, I want to fight the ticket. This is the first accident I got so far because I always drive carefully. I have read the OP information and know the procedure. But do you think the ticket fighter company will be a better choice to fight it? I am not a tough arguer and always blame myself first for any mistake.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6431 posts
3534 upvotes
Edmonton
zq0888 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 9:46 pm
Hi, thank you for any help in advance.

I rear-end the other vehicle "A" at the intersection today. When the light changed to green, every cars was moving and one in front of "A" suddenly stopped. So "A" had a hard stop and my car can't stop in time and bumped from behind. The driver called the officer to the site. After filed a report, the officer also gave me a ticket "careless drive" for fine $490 and demerits 6 points. I was shocked for such huge penalty. I tried my best to stop in that situation. Just everything happened so fast and I regret I really should kept more longer distance with "A". However, I want to fight the ticket. This is the first accident I got so far because I always drive carefully. I have read the OP information and know the procedure. But do you think the ticket fighter company will be a better choice to fight it? I am not a tough arguer and always blame myself first for any mistake.
If you think that penalty is bad, what till you see what happens to your insurance if you’re convicted!

If your not sure of your abilities in court, for a serious charge like careless driving you may want to hire a paralegal.

C
Apr 1, 2009
74 posts
37 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 10:01 pm
If you think that penalty is bad, what till you see what happens to your insurance if you’re convicted!

If your not sure of your abilities in court, for a serious charge like careless driving you may want to hire a paralegal.

C
Thanks. I have been searching for a paralegal online and also read a few review on RFD. Must the ticket fighter or paralegal be in same city where the accident occurs?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
3835 posts
908 upvotes
Canuckland
dsol108 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 5:49 am
I got pulled over in Montreal. The officer said I was tagged for going 65km/h in a zone of 50 but he gave me a ticket citing 68km/h, saying that I was accellerating and he could give me a ticket all the way up to 75km/h. Is it legal to do that?? And should I fight the ticket based on the fact that the laser reading and the speed on the ticket are inconcistent??
Believe whatever it's in the ticket and see if it's reduced
Jan 15, 2018
62 posts
12 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 10:01 pm

C
Careless in a rear ending collision is pretty hard to prove, especially since the police weren't witness to it. I've often heard those get negotiated down to lesser charges such as fail to turns and following too closely. He could likely do this himself, especially with his otherwise clean record.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)