Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
1785 posts
118 upvotes
I got a ticket last June (2017) for making a left turn on a late yellow during an advance green. My offence took place in York Region, and I filed for a court date to dispute the ticket on June 6 2017 at the Provincial Offences Office on High Tech Rd in Richmond Hill. I have not received anything in the mail to this day. Is it normal to not receive anything this late? I also don't want to call them regarding my ticket to "remind them" of my offence in case they actually forgot about it. What's the best course of action here? Continue waiting?
Dec 5, 2012
18 posts
ETOBICOKE
Hello,

I got 2 tickets and 1 warning today. 1 speeding ticket ($285), 1 for not wearing my glasses ($110) and warning for not showing him all my papers fast enough. like what the hell? He said i could charge you another 110 for not providing car ownership document right away(took me 5min to find it) but he let me go with a warning. And its properly printed warning so for sure its in the database.

Anyways, what are my options guys? I am going to go for a trial :( this is outrageous. He was standing right down the hill, on Islington. So scummy.

This is going to screw with my insurance right?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6928 posts
3928 upvotes
Edmonton
Mr. VTEC wrote:
May 9th, 2018 3:30 pm
Hi, need some advice, as I have a court date next week.

I received a ticket for speeding 58 in a 40 zone close to my house. The officer that stopped me setup a speed trap in an odd spot, visibility is partially obstructed on his side, and I could barely see him when he came out on the road, I didn't even realize he was an officer as it was so dark. I didn't notice my speed, so I took his word on it, but as the light for me was red I would not have been in a hurry to stop and wait.

The disclosure details are below:

174, blk Honda, dr alone, says sorry a couple of times, polite

TUE, 6017/Explorer, mild, dry.
Set up laser Atlanta 500813 on s/side Berry rd at Glenn Arthur Dr.
1 lane EB/posted 40km/h (400m, 300m partially obstructed by tree/leaves until you get closer to it), about 20m beyond setup)
Tested LA: 1. 2:39pm, 2. 11:09pm (55m/61m/77m)
Trained qualified officer

HTA 128

Overall I have a clean record, I've only ever had one other ticket (speeding), but that was over 13 years ago. Is there anything that you would recommend?
You can take your lumps and pay the ticket, as none of what you said is any defense. Or you can chose a trial, and show up to try to either negotiate a deal, or hope your officer doesn't show up. If you take a deal or lose the trial, your insurance will likely be affected just as much as if you paid the ticket now, since insurance companies only care about convictions.

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6928 posts
3928 upvotes
Edmonton
Rahmonic wrote:
May 9th, 2018 4:15 pm
Hello,

I got 2 tickets and 1 warning today. 1 speeding ticket ($285), 1 for not wearing my glasses ($110) and warning for not showing him all my papers fast enough. like what the hell? He said i could charge you another 110 for not providing car ownership document right away(took me 5min to find it) but he let me go with a warning. And its properly printed warning so for sure its in the database.

Anyways, what are my options guys? I am going to go for a trial :( this is outrageous. He was standing right down the hill, on Islington. So scummy.

What exactly is "outrageous" and "scummy"? You were apparently speeding, no matter if it was at the bottom of a hill or not. And you were apparently not wearing your glasses. So you can go to trial, but like I told the previous poster, you don't have a defense in anything you said. In your case, you might get the glasses ticket thrown away if you plead guilty to the other ticket. Maybe you can get the glasses and warning purged if you plead guilty on the speeding.

Request your disclosure and go from there. See what the cop will testify to. Plan your defense around that.

C
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
sumrandomguy wrote:
May 9th, 2018 4:07 pm
I got a ticket last June (2017) for making a left turn on a late yellow during an advance green. My offence took place in York Region, and I filed for a court date to dispute the ticket on June 6 2017 at the Provincial Offences Office on High Tech Rd in Richmond Hill. I have not received anything in the mail to this day. Is it normal to not receive anything this late? I also don't want to call them regarding my ticket to "remind them" of my offence in case they actually forgot about it. What's the best course of action here? Continue waiting?
I would call provincial offences office and ask them for status of ticket (you will need ticket number). If you have not gotten anything by now then most likely the ticket got dropped. They will tell you whether it was dropped, or still waiting to set trial or if you were found guilty.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
Dec 5, 2012
18 posts
ETOBICOKE
CNeufeld wrote:
May 9th, 2018 4:37 pm
What exactly is "outrageous" and "scummy"? You were apparently speeding, no matter if it was at the bottom of a hill or not. And you were apparently not wearing your glasses. So you can go to trial, but like I told the previous poster, you don't have a defense in anything you said. In your case, you might get the glasses ticket thrown away if you plead guilty to the other ticket. Maybe you can get the glasses and warning purged if you plead guilty on the speeding.

Request your disclosure and go from there. See what the cop will testify to. Plan your defense around that.

C
Thanks, I will request for disclosure. But the scummy part is, naturally your car will speed up on hills. But yeah i get it, i **** up. But the cop was a complete ass. The way he handle the whole thing, he would have charged me for a murder too if he could. I seriously wanted to show anger when he printed out a warning for taking few min to find the document he needed.

Anyways, i am going to go for trial. I just hope i get the same day for both tickets.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6928 posts
3928 upvotes
Edmonton
Rahmonic wrote:
May 9th, 2018 4:51 pm
Thanks, I will request for disclosure. But the scummy part is, naturally your car will speed up on hills. But yeah i get it, i **** up. But the cop was a complete ass. The way he handle the whole thing, he would have charged me for a murder too if he could. I seriously wanted to show anger when he printed out a warning for taking few min to find the document he needed.

Anyways, i am going to go for trial. I just hope i get the same day for both tickets.
Not trying to be a jerk, but perhaps your attitude to the cop were contributing factors to the warning. The cops aren't there to win the Miss Congeniality contest. And they're not the ones who should think about toning down their attitude to avoid getting in more trouble. I obviously wasn't there, but just based on your outrage and comments here, it's something to think about.

As far as both tickets on the same day, from an efficiency perspective, they probably will try to schedule them both on the same day. If not for your sake, for the officer and prosecutor's.

Good luck.

C
Dec 5, 2012
18 posts
ETOBICOKE
CNeufeld wrote:
May 9th, 2018 5:05 pm
Not trying to be a jerk, but perhaps your attitude to the cop were contributing factors to the warning. The cops aren't there to win the Miss Congeniality contest. And they're not the ones who should think about toning down their attitude to avoid getting in more trouble. I obviously wasn't there, but just based on your outrage and comments here, it's something to think about.

As far as both tickets on the same day, from an efficiency perspective, they probably will try to schedule them both on the same day. If not for your sake, for the officer and prosecutor's.

Good luck.

C

I did nothing but smile, and said I understand. Okay. Thank you officer.

That is why i stated in my post that even though i felt like getting out my anger, but i didnt. Like I didn't even act shocked when he handed me the warning for not finding document fast. All i said was I understand sir.

Officer was an *******. And i am saying that here, nothing there I did or said was anything but a pleasant conversation

Oh and forgot to mention, i had to call my friend with my glasses. He took the uber while I waited with the officer, because of course he wont let me drive without it. Even my friend came and smiled at him and said sorry (not sure why he said that but he was being friendly)
May 8, 2018
1 posts
I am wondering if there is a fatal error on my violation ticket. The ticket states the date and city and gives the code and act. In the description of the code it states operate mv on hwy. There is no physical street address noted at all. Is that a fatal error? The ticket was issued in town.
Oct 31, 2013
315 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Rahmonic wrote:
May 9th, 2018 4:15 pm
Hello,

Whereabouts in Islington???
-Throw me a stone and I will build castle-
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
ValerieW969 wrote:
May 9th, 2018 7:48 pm
I am wondering if there is a fatal error on my violation ticket. The ticket states the date and city and gives the code and act. In the description of the code it states operate mv on hwy. There is no physical street address noted at all. Is that a fatal error? The ticket was issued in town.

Can you scan and post the ticket? Black out personal and officer info.
--
--
Jul 29, 2009
1 posts
Toronto
Hello, I was wondering if I could get some advice:
On Sep 4, 2017 I was originally stopped for doing a rolling stop at a stop sign. Officer gave me a warning for the stop sign but I received a ticket for Failing to surrender insurance card. I had the expired slip from last year and forgot to place the new one in my car.
I requested Disclosure and just received it. Court date is Jun 22, 2018.
FACTS IN ISSUE
[ Complaint area traffic - York Hill BV / North Meadow Gate - York Hill BV, 2 lanes - 1 e/b , 1 w/b - Asphalt , Straight on Level North Meadow Gate - 2 lanes - 1 n/b , 1 s/b - Asphalt , Straight on Level T-shape Intersection , Sunny, Dry Roads, All way stop signs , Asphalt , Road markings visible , Stop Signs Erected and Visible, Stop Lines Visible. Police cruiser positioned on North Meadow Gate, Approx. 10-15 meters south of the intersection, observing e/b - w/b traffic on York Hill BV. Clear view of approx. 2 cars for w/b traffic before the stop line and clear view
of approx. 1.5 cars for e/b traffic before the stop line. Observed a single motor vehicle, travelling E/B York Hill BV, failed to stop at stop sign, constant motion of the wheel s , did not lose sight of motor-vehicle , initiated a t-stop E/B on York Hill BV east of York Hill BV.
I approached the driver, advised the reason for stop, I was satisfied of driver's identity. Driver produced valid DL, OWN, expired Insurance card. PON was issued to driver for failing to surrender insurance card, and cautiond for failing to stop at stop sign.]
further down the disclosure: weather conditions were Sunny and Dry, and also states that there is car camera footage and offence captured on camera footage.

I had a few questions:
Should I request for the in car camera footage?
If I go to court, is there a possibility I get an additional ticket for failing to stop at a stop sign?
I plan on just showing up to the court date to show that I had valid insurance on that day, hoping the officer doesn't show, and if he does just asking for leniency since I had insurance?
Any other advice?
Thank you!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
1785 posts
118 upvotes
ShrekTek wrote:
May 9th, 2018 4:39 pm
I would call provincial offences office and ask them for status of ticket (you will need ticket number). If you have not gotten anything by now then most likely the ticket got dropped. They will tell you whether it was dropped, or still waiting to set trial or if you were found guilty.
Thanks for your reply. Luckily I scanned my ticket before going to the offences office. I looked at the ticket, and there isn't a ticket number, but an offence number. Is that the same thing?
Apr 1, 2017
52 posts
7 upvotes
So I got into a car accident. Police arrived and gave me a careless driving ticket. Insurance still determining whose fault it is.

The towing guy (a really nice guy and helpful) gave me a paralegal.

I called the paralegal just now, he told me to send him a picture of my ticket and told me he can fight it off to no points, his fee is $700.

How is that possible? He didn't ask me for any pictures or evidences, I've never met this guy either only on the phone. Im a bit reluctant to email the money before I confirm this is legit.

I checked his phone number online it bring me to http://www.trafficticketto.com

Any advises is welcome
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
sumrandomguy wrote:
May 11th, 2018 12:17 pm
Thanks for your reply. Luckily I scanned my ticket before going to the offences office. I looked at the ticket, and there isn't a ticket number, but an offence number. Is that the same thing?
yes same thing.
--
--