Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4034 posts
1027 upvotes
Debtario
LOL, a tow truck driver giving referrals to paralegals and you're being asked to email the money before any services are provided? I hope you're trolling!

Even if this were legit, points mean nothing - a careless driving conviction will cost you big time. Might be worth consulting an actual lawyer and getting that charge reduced.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Feb 10, 2010
939 posts
386 upvotes
Ajax, ON
waterbottleemo wrote:
May 11th, 2018 2:18 pm
The towing guy (a really nice guy and helpful) gave me a paralegal.
Run.....run away as fast as you can from anything the towing guy adviced you.
Apr 1, 2017
52 posts
7 upvotes
@M1K3Z0R Im not trolling. cause there is this paralegal my close friend uses, and he also charges before services are provided too.
Also he said it wont be careless driving it will reduced to something else, stop sign or something.

Are actual lawyer better than paralegal? i thought paralegal are good enough they just cant go to the supreme court.

@ToDealHunter yeah Im having a lot of doubt after that phone call that's why I want to ask you guys first, I wanted to trust that towing guy cause he was really nice and helpful
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1860 posts
294 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
waterbottleemo wrote:
May 11th, 2018 2:44 pm
@M1K3Z0R Im not trolling. cause there is this paralegal my close friend uses, and he also charges before services are provided too.
Also he said it wont be careless driving it will reduced to something else, stop sign or something.

Are actual lawyer better than paralegal? i thought paralegal are good enough they just cant go to the supreme court.

@ToDealHunter yeah Im having a lot of doubt after that phone call that's why I want to ask you guys first, I wanted to trust that towing guy cause he was really nice and helpful
It's likely a very standard process and offered to most people in your case which is why he seemed so confident.

A friend was in a similar situation, bad accident and charged with careless driving. They had used pointstoppers and they did all the work and it came down the no points and just fine.
The motivator for them using someone else was it was far from where they live so it made sense.

If it's in the area you can try pleading not guilty and see what you get from the prosceutor?
Sep 8, 2017
742 posts
576 upvotes
GTA
Mr_Dogg wrote:
May 11th, 2018 3:44 pm
A friend was in a similar situation, bad accident and charged with careless driving. They had used pointstoppers and they did all the work and it came down the no points and just fine.
What did they get convicted of though? Even with no points, a Careless Driving conviction on your record will increase your insurance substantially. Of the 3 levels of offences: minor, major, and serious, I believe Careless is considered major.
Feb 25, 2015
846 posts
223 upvotes
York Region
Just go to traffic court yourself and save $700. You can plead it down (which is what any paralegal will do) and if you are deemed not at fault by insurance, you can show that to the JP and could even get thrown out.

Go to http://www.ticketcombat.com/ and have fun.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1860 posts
294 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
derass wrote:
May 11th, 2018 3:52 pm
What did they get convicted of though? Even with no points, a Careless Driving conviction on your record will increase your insurance substantially. Of the 3 levels of offences: minor, major, and serious, I believe Careless is considered major.
No doubt it still had an effect on insurance but having 6 demerit points on your record is not ideal since even a 16Km/h over ticket puts a risk at your license being suspended.
Apr 1, 2017
52 posts
7 upvotes
Mr_Dogg wrote:
May 11th, 2018 4:16 pm
No doubt it still had an effect on insurance but having 6 demerit points on your record is not ideal since even a 16Km/h over ticket puts a risk at your license being suspended.
Hey but do you know which type of offense he ended up having? was it still "serious" but with no points deduced?
Sep 8, 2017
742 posts
576 upvotes
GTA
Insurance companies classify the offense as Serious for things like Dangerous Driving, or Impaired Driving, which are criminal offences, not traffic violations. Obviously, Serious category offences have the biggest impact on insurance, classifying the driver as High Risk automatically. Which means they are no longer eligible for Standard Market insurance.

Careless Driving is not considered a Serious offence.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6928 posts
3928 upvotes
Edmonton
derass wrote:
May 11th, 2018 5:25 pm
Insurance companies classify the offense as Serious for things like Dangerous Driving, or Impaired Driving, which are criminal offences, not traffic violations. Obviously, Serious category offences have the biggest impact on insurance, classifying the driver as High Risk automatically. Which means they are no longer eligible for Standard Market insurance.

Careless Driving is not considered a Serious offence.
You may want to check that last statement again...

C
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3031 posts
391 upvotes
GTA
waterbottleemo wrote:
May 11th, 2018 2:18 pm
I called the paralegal just now, he told me to send him a picture of my ticket and told me he can try to fight it off to no points, his fee is $700.
Fixed.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2284 posts
880 upvotes
MARKHAM
depends if the accident have witness and etc on the police report. you will need a lawyer because paralegal is not enough since you were the one deemed at fault as you got the ticket and not the other party?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1191 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
Try posting your question -> here.

Somebody there might be able to assist you better.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38904 posts
3354 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Even cutting a deal with the prosecutor... they'll almost always give a lesser charge, less fine, less points.
a conviction none the less... but a lesser one.

This you can easily do.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4177 posts
345 upvotes
someone rear ended me last year and she was charged with careless driving. i now have a mandatory court to attend as witness.
OP, you should pray for no witness showing up on the court date.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)