Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7313 posts
4220 upvotes
Edmonton
Perhaps it would be best to keep controversial hypothetical topics out of this thread, so people with real issues can get help?

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7313 posts
4220 upvotes
Edmonton
Phillipspastamaker wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 11:50 am
It should be in here, it could help someone reading the thread. Mistakes with redlight cameras do happen.
If you read the other thread, it says that on the ticket that he was waving around, he was doing 40 km/h (I didn't bother to look that close). Yeah, mistakes with the cameras do happen. But I suspect he failed to come to a complete stop, which is why he got the ticket. The mistake seems to have been his.

C
Jan 15, 2018
62 posts
12 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 11:56 am
If you read the other thread, it says that on the ticket that he was waving around, he was doing 40 km/h (I didn't bother to look that close). Yeah, mistakes with the cameras do happen. But I suspect he failed to come to a complete stop, which is why he got the ticket. The mistake seems to have been his.

C
Oh dang, the speed on the photo is nearly impossible to see but city posted an updated video and it appears you are right. So either whoever he spoke to was very wrong to say it was because he was too close to the sidewalk or he made that up. Well that is comforting to know. So I guess these tickets are pretty sound.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7313 posts
4220 upvotes
Edmonton
Phillipspastamaker wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 12:36 pm
Oh dang, the speed on the photo is nearly impossible to see but city posted an updated video and it appears you are right. So either whoever he spoke to was very wrong to say it was because he was too close to the sidewalk or he made that up. Well that is comforting to know. So I guess these tickets are pretty sound.
The technology involved isn't rocket science. But that doesn't mean they're 100% perfect. For example:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.1033324
http://edmontonsun.com/2014/09/17/alber ... 897caf4752

But I would say the problems are the exception, rather than the rule.

C
Nov 13, 2017
19 posts
1 upvote
Just received a parking notice in the mail for violation 00030 - 1. Stop - (on/over) (sidewalk/footpath) and 2. drove away = $150 ticket

A few questions.
1) does it matter that I was in the vehicle the entire time?
2) I never saw a cop anywhere near me and they certainly never tried putting it on my car.
3) I believe it was a no standing zone - however i was picking someone up.
4) The ticket was given in an area where there's construction just about everywhere so very few places to stop and pickup/drop someone off.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7313 posts
4220 upvotes
Edmonton
Well, it seems like you were ticketed not for stopping/standing/parking in a particular zone, but rather because you were on a sidewalk/path? You mention being in a "no standing" zone, which is basically one step above "no stopping" in terms of flexibility. You can't wait for someone in a no-standing zone, whether you're in the vehicle or not.

1) If it was a parking ticket (Parked in a No Parking zone), you being in the vehicle could be a defense, I think. So it depends on what you were actually charged with. You can't wait in a no-parking zone, even if you're in the car.
2) No, it doesn't matter
3) Was that person actually there? AFAIK, "standing" means actually engaged in loading/unloading passengers. Not waiting for a passenger. If it was a "no standing" zone, you can't even do that.
4) Doesn't matter.

Check this thread for the HTA rules on different zones:
whats-difference-between-no-stopping-no ... d-1104954/

C
Jun 19, 2018
1 posts
Ok, I've been going through this thread and it has a lot of great material here but I have a really newb question and I'm sorry in advance if this has already been covered...

I got trespassed a week ago from a public park. According to the cops have a week to submit the ticket to the court house. I have confirmation that they haven't done this yet (signed statement from the court clerk)

PART I
COMMENCEMENT OF PROCEEDINGS BY CERTIFICATE OF OFFENCE
Filing of certificate of offence
4 A certificate of offence shall be filed in the office of the court as soon as is practicable, but no later than seven days after service of the offence notice or summons. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 4, s. 1 (4); 2017, c. 34, Sched. 35, s. 24.

My question is this, the court clerk said that the police could apply for an extension to submit the ticket at a later date so...

(1) does anyone know how long they have according to the rules?

(2) do they have to provide me with notice that the ticket will be entered in past the alloweable amount of time?

I know that the devil is in the details and my initial strategy is to nail em on procedural errors so it anyone has a take on this situation I would love to hear what you have to say (or point to another post that describes a similar situation...)

Thanks a million :)
May 17, 2018
201 posts
79 upvotes
jlacharite1 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 11:16 am
I got trespassed a week ago from a public park.
Black Question Mark Ornament
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
Jul 14, 2016
4 posts
Finally I received the Disclosure, Please let me know.

FEB 15 2018
W- 6C, CLEAR
R- DRY
18-468 MARKED
TRAFFIC - MODERATE
TRU SPEED SN: TS006462 TESTED AT START AND END OF SHIFT
1) SELF INTERNAL TEST
2) DISPLAY TEST
3) ZERO DISTANCE VELOCITY
4) SIGHT AND SCOPE ALIGNMENT ALL IN ORDER
SPEED ENFORCEMENT ON VICTORIA West of SEABOARD GATE
MONITORING MV TRAVELLING E/B ON VICTORIA
STOPPED ON VICTORIA W / of SEABOARD GATE
- OBS WHITE MV TRAVELLING E/B ON VICTORIA
- APPEARED TO BE TRAVELLING FASTER THAN POSTED 50 KM/H CONSTRUCTION ZONE
SPEED LIMIT WITH WORKERS PRESENT AND WORKING
- 2 LANE HWY 1 LANE E, 1 LANE W
- CONFIRM MV SPEEDING WITH TRU SPEED LASER AT 100KM/H AT 110.6M
- MV PASSED SCOUT CAR
- FOLLOWED MV
- ACTIVATE EMERGENCY LIGHTS MV STOP
- APPROACH MV
- LONE MALE OCCUPANT
- ADVISE DRIVER REASON FOR STOP
- DEMAND DL, VALID INS AND PERMIT
- DRIVER SURRENDER VALID DL WITH PHOTO BEARING TRUE LIKENESS OF DRIVER
- REDUCE SPEED TO 75KM/H IN A 50KM/H ZONE
NOTES:
CLEAR SIGNAGE DENOTING 50KM/HR, CONTRUCTION ZONE, CLEARLY STATING FINES
DOUBLED WHEN WORKERS PRESENT

ShrekTek wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 6:52 pm
Plead not guilty and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your Notice of Trial, then you can request disclosure (officers notes and speed measuring device info). Once you get the notes, post them here so we can determine if you can fight it or not.

There is no downside to doing this as you could pay the fine before the trial date occurs or show up to trial and just plead guilty to the charge.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7313 posts
4220 upvotes
Edmonton
User722979 wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 2:07 pm
Finally I received the Disclosure, Please let me know.

FEB 15 2018
W- 6C, CLEAR
R- DRY
18-468 MARKED
TRAFFIC - MODERATE
TRU SPEED SN: TS006462 TESTED AT START AND END OF SHIFT
1) SELF INTERNAL TEST
2) DISPLAY TEST
3) ZERO DISTANCE VELOCITY
4) SIGHT AND SCOPE ALIGNMENT ALL IN ORDER
SPEED ENFORCEMENT ON VICTORIA West of SEABOARD GATE
MONITORING MV TRAVELLING E/B ON VICTORIA
STOPPED ON VICTORIA W / of SEABOARD GATE
- OBS WHITE MV TRAVELLING E/B ON VICTORIA
- APPEARED TO BE TRAVELLING FASTER THAN POSTED 50 KM/H CONSTRUCTION ZONE
SPEED LIMIT WITH WORKERS PRESENT AND WORKING
- 2 LANE HWY 1 LANE E, 1 LANE W
- CONFIRM MV SPEEDING WITH TRU SPEED LASER AT 100KM/H AT 110.6M
- MV PASSED SCOUT CAR
- FOLLOWED MV
- ACTIVATE EMERGENCY LIGHTS MV STOP
- APPROACH MV
- LONE MALE OCCUPANT
- ADVISE DRIVER REASON FOR STOP
- DEMAND DL, VALID INS AND PERMIT
- DRIVER SURRENDER VALID DL WITH PHOTO BEARING TRUE LIKENESS OF DRIVER
- REDUCE SPEED TO 75KM/H IN A 50KM/H ZONE
NOTES:
CLEAR SIGNAGE DENOTING 50KM/HR, CONTRUCTION ZONE, CLEARLY STATING FINES
DOUBLED WHEN WORKERS PRESENT
Don't see much wrong on that... In your original post, you mention not being able to see the officer, which isn't going to help. They're not obligated to advertise their presence.

Given that it's reduced from 100 to 75 in a 50 zone (with construction and doubled fines), I'd say you would probably be best off either just paying the ticket, or trying for some sort of deal with the prosecutor and paying whatever they give you. If you go to court, I suspect you'd lose if the officer shows up. Which is your other option. I'll say that I'm not familiar with the rules for BC (you're in Victoria?), and the officer may or may not be required to show up. I don't think they're required in Quebec, for example.

C
Oct 16, 2002
633 posts
313 upvotes
Has anyone had experience with relying on Jordan decision?
A relative got a ticket for dangerous driving after the other driver convincingly lied to the cop about the reason for an accident that the other driver caused. The trial will be in August, over 19 months after the charge. Wondering how vigorously do prosecutors try to argue 'exceptional circumstances' for delays to avoid having the charge dropped and what to watch out for?
Thanks
Oct 27, 2016
9 posts
2 upvotes
Hey all,

I got a speeding ticket yesterday in Toronto for going 34km/h over in a 50 zone. I was on my way to an ultrasound where I needed a full bladder and really nervous I wasn't going to make it. Also was stuck in construction traffic for the beginning of my drive and was happy to finally get to a road that had no traffic. Anyway, not trying to make an excuse just saying why I was speeding (I usually never do).

Anyway, my ticket is for $204 ($259 payable). I really don't want a conviction. I got a ticket for an illegal U-turn 2 months back which I paid. And got a ticket for failing to wear my seat belt about 2-3 years back. I do not want this to affect my insurance.

What would you do? I will be honest - I am very intimidated at the thought of representing myself at trial - I feel like it will also be a huge hassle. I am thinking of hiring a paralegal.
Would like your thoughts RFD.