Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6431 posts
3535 upvotes
Edmonton
gig2015 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 5:18 pm
Yes he reduced the fine from $250 something

Wait but it was not a construction zone where he stopped or where he tracked my speed.
Keep in mind that if you take it to trial, the prosecutor CAN amend the ticket back up to the original offense and amounts...

C
May 13, 2015
49 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga, ON
gig2015 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 5:18 pm

Yes he reduced the fine from $250 something

Wait but it was not a construction zone where he stopped or where he tracked my speed.
Update: I thought it was better to go for para legal , so I just went there’s and paid the deposit for their service and have them fight in the court on my behalf

Did I do right?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6431 posts
3535 upvotes
Edmonton
gig2015 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 5:24 pm
Update: I thought it was better to go for para legal , so I just went there’s and paid the deposit for their service and have them fight in the court on my behalf

Did I do right?
It depends on what your goal is. Like I said before, a paralegal can't really do anything for you that you can't do for yourself. They'll probably go there and attempt to bargain down the ticket, rather than get it thrown out entirely. And they run the same risk you do that if they take it to trial, the prosecutor can bump the charges back up to the original fine/demerits.

How much did they charge? And did they make any promises?

C
May 13, 2015
49 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga, ON
CNeufeld wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 5:36 pm
It depends on what your goal is. Like I said before, a paralegal can't really do anything for you that you can't do for yourself. They'll probably go there and attempt to bargain down the ticket, rather than get it thrown out entirely. And they run the same risk you do that if they take it to trial, the prosecutor can bump the charges back up to the original fine/demerits.

How much did they charge? And did they make any promises?

C
They are charging 350 including tax for the whole service. I paid $100 deposit today. They said that they will to make sure my insurance does not get hit and at any time they will not plead guilty. They also said that they don’t have dates until November so it might take a lot time. The court is beside their office in Mississauga.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6431 posts
3535 upvotes
Edmonton
gig2015 wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 5:46 pm
They are charging 350 including tax for the whole service. I paid $100 deposit today. They said that they will to make sure my insurance does not get hit and at any time they will not plead guilty. They also said that they don’t have dates until November so it might take a lot time. The court is beside their office in Mississauga.
All I can suggest is post back with your results. :)

C
Apr 23, 2008
657 posts
50 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 1:48 pm
Probably not. Do you think it would have been justification for running over a pedestrian just because you were distracted by a construction worker? That's what would have happened if a pedestrian stepped out when you missed a stop sign.

You're responsible for being in control of your vehicle and obeying the laws, no matter what's going on around you. You can try arguing that in court, but I suspect it won't fly.

C
The law is not that stiff, one is charged of killing but the killing is self-defense then one can be found not guilty.
I was charged with running the stop sign but running the stop sign was self-defense as I avoided the ladder falling down on me.
May 17, 2018
191 posts
72 upvotes
phht wrote:
Jun 30th, 2018 8:53 am
I was charged with running the stop sign but running the stop sign was self-defense as I avoided the ladder falling down on me.
If you had stopped at the stop sign, would the ladder have hit your vehicle?
“Of this one thing make sure against your dying day – that your faults die before you do.” - Seneca
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6431 posts
3535 upvotes
Edmonton
phht wrote:
Jun 30th, 2018 8:53 am
The law is not that stiff, one is charged of killing but the killing is self-defense then one can be found not guilty.
You can go ahead and try your defense. I wasn't there. Haven't seen any video footage. But being distracted by something happening at the side of the road that kept you from noticing a stop sign isn't much of a defense, in general.

In the end, if there's video footage that supports your claim, it will come out as positive. The cop is likely to testify that he didn't think there was any reason for you to not see the stop sign, or he wouldn't have given you a ticket. You're going to say there was a distraction/event. The JP will decide who is more likely telling the truth. Maybe you'll be lucky and the cop won't even show up. Maybe the prosecutor will bargain down. It doesn't hurt to try, just takes some of your time.

C
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2010
1006 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
got a $100 fine from city of Markham for park on highway within 3m of fire hydrant..
Should i go see the clerk , does it get reduced or is it not going to change?
Apr 23, 2008
657 posts
50 upvotes
Symplr wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2018 3:19 pm
If you had stopped at the stop sign, would the ladder have hit your vehicle?
Possible. Anything could have happened, the ladder could have swing towards me.
Jul 2, 2018
1 posts
I don't what is up with me today, but I made a left turn on a red light in a left turn lane. The light was green for the forward lanes, but I made the stupid mistake to turn on the red light in my lane.
There are no red light cameras, but a traffic camera there. Should I be expecting a fine? And how long will it usually take? Also, should I meet the prosecutor for a chance to reduce the fine, or is that not a thing since it is a fine to the vehicle?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3635 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
fighder123 wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 8:30 pm
I don't what is up with me today, but I made a left turn on a red light in a left turn lane. The light was green for the forward lanes, but I made the stupid mistake to turn on the red light in my lane.
There are no red light cameras, but a traffic camera there. Should I be expecting a fine? And how long will it usually take? Also, should I meet the prosecutor for a chance to reduce the fine, or is that not a thing since it is a fine to the vehicle?
In Toronto at least, it appears that they aren't used for enforcement purposes.

The vehicle detection cameras are not recording information and the City does not have the ability to watch traffic at this time.

https://www.toronto.ca/services-payment ... n-cameras/
Jun 23, 2009
141 posts
116 upvotes
Hamilton
How to properly fight a traffic ticket before you even get issued one ;)

Aug 6, 2011
28 posts
Toronto
Got a speeding ticket in Woodbridge , officer caught me with laser gun. Was knocked down from 89 to 80. Ideally I would like to not have this appear on my insurance as it would be my first speeding ticket on my record if convicted. Any recommendations?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)