Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Sep 27, 2015
208 posts
59 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Got a speeding ticket reduced to 55kms in a 40kms zone... Cop says he clocked me at 74kms. (code R.74) ticket is $52.50. should i fight it.... i don't want my insurance to go up... I don't have any tickets on record right now...
Mar 26, 2007
115 posts
33 upvotes
Dad got a speeding ticket on July 1. (He calls bullshit. The cop supposedly clocked him at 130kmh, but he had cruise control on well below that. Others were passing him.)

Does he just sign the back of the ticket and mail it to the address mentioned on the back of the ticket (for Option 3, Trial)? Do I need to add tracking to the mail? I know I should leave the Phone number field blank, but what about email address?
Dec 3, 2016
53 posts
37 upvotes
I got a ticket for speeding. I know sometimes you can get a ticket tossed for inadequately filled tickets. Just wondering where it says where the offense took place all it says is E/B and road name. Does it matter that it doesn't say a cross street?
Jun 21, 2009
14 posts
Hi, hoping for some help. I received a speeding ticket for driving 140 km/h in a 100 km/h zone on June 7th 2017, I asked for option 2 to see what I would be offered in terms of a reduced sentence. My meeting (for option 2) was on August 18th 2017, where I was offered a lesser charge (139 km/h) which I declined to take. The judge asked me if I wished to accept this offer, to which I refused, and left the court.

I have not since that day received any correspondence regarding the ticket. Nothing regarding a trial date, nothing regarding the charges being dropped. It has been over a year since I was pulled over and ticketed.

How should I best proceed in hopes of having the ticket thrown out/charges dropped?
Temp. Banned
Dec 9, 2014
1176 posts
357 upvotes
kali_pak wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 7:06 pm
Hi, hoping for some help. I received a speeding ticket for driving 140 km/h in a 100 km/h zone on June 7th 2017, I asked for option 2 to see what I would be offered in terms of a reduced sentence. My meeting (for option 2) was on August 18th 2017, where I was offered a lesser charge (139 km/h) which I declined to take. The judge asked me if I wished to accept this offer, to which I refused, and left the court.

I have not since that day received any correspondence regarding the ticket. Nothing regarding a trial date, nothing regarding the charges being dropped. It has been over a year since I was pulled over and ticketed.

How should I best proceed in hopes of having the ticket thrown out/charges dropped?
I'd wait until they notify you of a trial date
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1407 posts
721 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
kali_pak wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 7:06 pm

First off you do not give a province and the procedures can vary from one court to another depending on location and case load.

I would venture a guess you were already/have since been convicted. When you refused the offer your matter was then most likely put aside to set a trial date later in the day after they dealt with all the others that may have wanted to plead guilty, When you left the court you also gave up your opportunity to agree or not to a specific trial date and as you were in attendance that day then that date would have been set as though you were still there. You missed your opportunity.

Call your court house.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Mar 22, 2007
63 posts
5 upvotes
Scarborough
ShrekTek wrote:
May 26th, 2018 2:36 pm
Okay so it is indeed a FATAL ERROR ... there is no set fine for section 151(1) therefore they can not put a set fine on the ticket and when you read 151(1) it is simply saying minister can make regulation.

If you do not show up for trial, they can not change it. If you DO show up for trial, then they could change it.

Do not show up for trial, and there are two possible outcomes:
(i) most likely, the prosecutor or JP will see the error and throw out the ticket, or
(ii) small chance, she will be found guilty of the charge.

If she is found guilty, then you have to file an APPEAL (make sure to file for APPEAL and not a RE-OPENING). At the appeal you would show up with your original ticket and simply tell the judge that there is no set fine for section 151(1) and also the charge is incorrect so she did not show up for trial based on the information that was on the Notice of Offence received from the officer.
Hi, she got convict. How do we get the notice of Appeal and how should I file it?
Jan 12, 2018
6 posts
Caught speeding - charged was for 79 in a 50 km/h zone -on the ticket. But this is what the disclosure said:
Offence:
- observe mv travelling SB at a speed greater than the posted 50 km/hr limit.
Activated radar & received a read out - speed at 88 km/hr
- vehicle flagged down and pulled over on roadway
- advised of the reason for the stop. I did not lose sight of the mv.
- advised / demand all documents
- documents surrendered: valid ontario drivers license - photo matched driver & verbally confirmed (satisfied)
- *** no ownership for vehicle***
- insurance valid
- occupant (s) : 1 occcs

pON issued to driver - 3 options & 15 days explained.

Received 2 tickets.
How can I fight this at the court?
Sep 20, 2003
552 posts
32 upvotes
Hi, hoping someone could help me with this.

Got ticketed for an illegal u turn back in August of 2017. Went to court in April 2018 hoping the cop wouldn't show, but he did. Anyways, During the waiting prior to the trial, the prosecutor was intimidating me claiming they have me on video committing the offence, and he was speaking to the cop saying he will delay my trial so the cop would have time to go burn the dvd from "downstairs". Anyway, come time to the trial, just as we're about to start I ask the judge and prosecutor where the tape is? Now the judge is explaining to me that they don't have it, and that he suggested me to request disclosure in order to form my defense. I went downstairs and submitted their form for disclosure. They said they would call me to come pick up the dvd for the video, but they had the typed disclosure that gave me on the spot.

This was over 2 months ago, and I still did not receive any phone call. I am thinking of requesting disclosure again via the template on the ticketcombat.com website + registered mail as my next trial date is in September. Any other advise for my situation? Thanks!
Oct 23, 2010
16 posts
Toronto
Hello - I have a court date next Tuesday; was hoping for some help on my case:

Back in November i was travelling south on University Avenue, south of Dundas. Given the construction, I didn't see a sign saying the speed limit had been reduced to 40 km/h. Was subsequently clocked by a cop saying I was going 62km/h.

I've got the disclosure attached here. Any errors or weaknesses in his notes? Interesting he noted that the speed limit had been changed 10 months ago.

Happy to hear anyone's feedback.

Disclosure
May 22, 2006
49 posts
16 upvotes
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to answer all these posts.

So I got 2 tickets from a cop for 1) not having an updated sticker on the license plates and 2) failure to present the insurance card to the officer. If the ownership of the car is under my husband's name and not mine, would that change anything for ticket number 1? In other words, if I was driving someone else's car and didn't know that they hadn't updated their sticker on their license, could I have an argument against this ticket?
Ticket number 2: I actually had the insurance card in the car, but I was too flustered and had my screaming toddler in the back and couldn't focus to present it to him, but obviously the cop checked the policy number and confirmed that we were actually insured. What would you suggest I could argue for both tickets?
Thanks!
Apr 24, 2017
240 posts
118 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 5:36 pm
Like I said before, a paralegal can't really do anything for you that you can't do for yourself. They'll probably go there and attempt to bargain down the ticket, rather than get it thrown out entirely.
Think that depends on the talent level of the person you hire, their relationships with the prosecutor as well as whether there are any issues found in your disclosure.
Jul 12, 2018
6 posts
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your support and the avenue to clarify. I got speeding ticket for going 91 in a 60km zone in Mavis, Mississauga. What happened was there was an extremely slow car right in front of me that I need to overtake, the officer drove out as soon as I overtake the car and pulled me over. I wasn't shown any laser gun, I do not know how he concluded that I was at 91. He also gave me tickets for the 2 car seats that they were not firm enough. He was checking my tires, complained that plate numbers were not meant to be lined but no ticket for that and I also asked why Ontario has been allowing people to drive with that. He was checking every part of the car like looking for avenues to give more tickets, then he told me not to pay that I should go to court, the car seat would be dropped but doesnt know my chances with speeding that is on record. He also said he would not appear in court.
I intend pleading not guilty, please what are my chances.