Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Jul 12, 2018
8 posts
6 upvotes
I know there are lots of threads on this topic but still one question of mine don't seems to have been answered .

I got my first ever ticket yesterday ....was driving around 117 on Highway 400 when I got pulled over for driving 37 over 80 in construction zone ....it was around 9.20 pm and lots of traffic and mostly everyone was going over 120....

Got ticket of 15 over 80 km/h .....52$ fine ..he wrote speed of 95 in the ticket he gave me

I want to fight it but the cop said if I fight it he will say on court my actual speed of 117 even though he have written 95 on my ticket ....
Can he ?
That's all I want to know .
Also I recently started living in a different address than my car papers address is .should I get that fixed as well before court date or its fine ? My liscense and car papers show old address and my insurance have been changed to new address as per yesterday .will that be an issue for me .? Can I get in more trouble than I already m in .if so than should I just pledge guilty for speeding and pay fine and hope my insurance company don't check it when renewing.?
Last edited by Thatsamazing on Jul 13th, 2018 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 17, 2016
573 posts
393 upvotes
Did you get any points as well? In Ontario you get 3 points if you exceed speed limit by more than 16-29 km/h. In your case you would have received 4 points. Looks like the cop did you a solid especially since the fines usually double in the construction zones.
Last edited by Hindenburg1 on Jul 13th, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 12, 2018
8 posts
6 upvotes
It's 15 over 80 ...he wrote 95 km/h .....so I am sure it's just a fine no points
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2450 posts
315 upvotes
Go fight it! you have a huge chance of winning.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6412 posts
3520 upvotes
Edmonton
Thatsamazing wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 7:12 am
Got a ticket of going at 95 in a 80 construction zone .....when I was actually going at 118....
Cop told me pay the fine and it won't affect your insurance...I want to fight it as most of the cars around me were going at 120 .......
He wrote 95 in my ticket and he told me if I go to court he will tell in court that I was going at 118 ...can he do that after the fact that he wrote 95 in the ticket
You don’t give a location, but probably yes. And the speed of the other drivers isn’t a defence.

C
Jul 12, 2018
8 posts
6 upvotes
I know there are lots of threads on this topic but still one question of mine don't seems to have been answered .

I got my first ever ticket yesterday ....was driving around 117 on Highway 400 when I got pulled over for driving 37 over 80 in construction zone(but no construction was going on) ....it was around 9.20 pm and lots of traffic and mostly everyone was going over 120....so was impossible to see the 80 speed sign if there was any ...

Got ticket of 15 over 80 km/h .....52$ fine ..he wrote speed of 95 in the ticket he gave me 

I want to fight it but the cop said if I fight it he will say on court my actual speed of 117 even though he have written 95 on my ticket ....
Can he ? ...if so than I would be 37 over speed limit and that will add 4 points to my name ...for now I only have 15 over speed so just fine ...

Also I recently started living in a different address than my car papers address is .should I get that fixed as well before court date or its fine ? My liscense and car papers show old address and my insurance have been changed to new address as per yesterday .will that be an issue for me .? Can I get in more trouble than I already m in .if so than should I just pledge guilty for speeding and pay fine and hope my insurance company don't check it when renewing.?
Last edited by Thatsamazing on Jul 13th, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1523 posts
440 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
The cop cut you some slack, so just pay it.
It's only $52 which isn't much. Out west fines automatically double in construction zones. You got off easy. Send the cop some donuts.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9085 posts
3134 upvotes
Toronto
Yes cop can change the ticket. Cop is giving you an option. It's been answered a thousand times in the ticket thread if you read it.

If you're living address isn't the same on your license, you are required by law to change it within 6 days and if not, its a fine. You are going to get hit with higher insurance if you plead guilty. If you go to court and fight it, you will probably lose. Either way, enjoy higher insurance premiums.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/change-addr ... ealth-card

Deadline for updating your address
From the time your address changes you must, by law, update your:

driver’s licence and vehicle permit (the green ownership document) within 6 days
health card within 30 days
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
1766 posts
304 upvotes
THORNHILL
Fight it. If there were no workers present the limit goes back to 100kph.
Jul 12, 2018
8 posts
6 upvotes
koffey wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 11:16 am
Yes cop can change the ticket. Cop is giving you an option. It's been answered a thousand times in the ticket thread if you read it.

If you're living address isn't the same on your license, you are required by law to change it within 6 days and if not, its a fine. You are going to get hit with higher insurance if you plead guilty. If you go to court and fight it, you will probably lose. Either way, enjoy higher insurance premiums.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/change-addr ... ealth-card

Deadline for updating your address
From the time your address changes you must, by law, update your:

driver’s licence and vehicle permit (the green ownership document) within 6 days
health card within 30 days
I understand that ...but who will decide when I moved to new location ...I can say I just moved on the day of ticket
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9085 posts
3134 upvotes
Toronto
Thatsamazing wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 11:27 am
I understand that ...but who will decide when I moved to new location ...I can say I just moved on the day of ticket
Sure you could, but the cops could actually find out when you moved if they wanted it. You asked a question, it was answered by quoting Ontario Ministry of Transportation. Lie if you want and if you or not you get caught, it doesn't affect me unless high insurance rates keeps you off the road.

Chances are, they don't care at this point because you got nabbed for a violation. If it was a routine stop, they would care.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18799 posts
2064 upvotes
Montreal
I'm sure Jews and Gentiles alike get plenty of speeding tickets.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8602 posts
1367 upvotes
Markham
durrsak wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 11:22 am
Fight it. If there were no workers present the limit goes back to 100kph.
Yes, then he is still doing 117km over a 100km Zone which he was still speeding

What will be your defense?

Don't say everybody is doing at least 120km on HWY400, so 117km is nothing. You won't get your ticket drop for this.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10085 posts
2599 upvotes
Toronto
Thatsamazing wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 11:04 am

I got my first ever ticket yesterday ....was driving around 117 on Highway 400 when I got pulled over for driving 37 over 80 in construction zone(but no construction was going on) ....it was around 9.20 pm and lots of traffic and mostly everyone was going over 120....so was impossible to see the 80 speed sign if there was any ...

Can he ? ...if so than I would be 37 over speed limit and that will add 4 points to my name ...for now I only have 15 over speed so just fine ...

it's been answered a 1000 times in this thread:

ask-me-anything-about-fighting-your-tra ... tc-945928/

Oops, Koffey beat me to it.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

LinhaoW18096