Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Aug 4, 2014
1 posts
Montreal, QC
Hello,

Recently in front of my apartment building , i was setting up my GPS in the car and a parking car stopped behind me.

There was a no parking board from 7:30 - 8:30 a.m and i was there at 7:43 a.m . The parking agent stopped for around 2 mins behind my car and then came and asked me to move my car from the no parking area. I requested to give me 2 mins to setup an address in GPS and i moved in 2 mins. Nevertheless, i got a parking ticket in mail after 2 weeks.

In the explanations section of the ticket, i wrote my defense that i was in the no parking area for less then 5 mins, in the car and setting up the GPS and moved my car in 2 mins after being told, but the explanation was not accepted and i have until 15th August to pay or wait for the trial letter.

What do you guys think, pay the $62 fine or go to court and explain my defense??Can the ticket be dismissed on the fact that i was in the prohibited parking area for less than 5 mins setting up my GPS and moved after being told .
Jul 20, 2012
4 posts
SCARBOROUGH
I got caught by the red light camera for failing to stop at a red light. I was making a right turn. The letter says the light was red for 2.1 seconds. And I proceeded through the intersection in 0.6 seconds.

Do I have any case to get this cancel or the fine reduced.

Can I say 0.6 seconds is enough time to stop and make a right turn?

Or can I stopped a little before the line but camera only caught when I started moving?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6706 posts
3727 upvotes
Edmonton
rafafan wrote:
Jul 28th, 2018 11:49 pm
I got caught by the red light camera for failing to stop at a red light. I was making a right turn. The letter says the light was red for 2.1 seconds. And I proceeded through the intersection in 0.6 seconds.

Do I have any case to get this cancel or the fine reduced.

Can I say 0.6 seconds is enough time to stop and make a right turn?

Or can I stopped a little before the line but camera only caught when I started moving?
You can say whatever you like, but you’ll probably lose. Is there anything else on your ticket, like the speed?

You might be able to negotiate a break on the fine, though.

C
Jul 20, 2012
4 posts
SCARBOROUGH
CNeufeld wrote:
Jul 29th, 2018 10:12 am
You can say whatever you like, but you’ll probably lose. Is there anything else on your ticket, like the speed?

You might be able to negotiate a break on the fine, though.

C
It shows speed as 32km. So I guess they will say I can't come to a full stop from 32km/h and go in 0.6 seconds?

They gave 3 options

1. Trial

2. Early resolution - meet with prosecutor

3. Plea of guilty - voluntary payment

Which is the best option in my situation
Aug 2, 2009
39 posts
2 upvotes
northern ontario
Isn't stopped and parked two different actions?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5628 posts
360 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
I filed for trial almost 15 months ago and have no notice of trial.

York region. neighbourhood speed trap for 10 over.

have since received license renewal, sticker Renewal and health card renewal. haven't changed address over that time.

given York region is usually quick for trial notices (6 months) have they just decided not to prosecute or do I s have to wait for trial notice then 11b this?
[solicitation not allowed]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6706 posts
3727 upvotes
Edmonton
rafafan wrote:
Jul 29th, 2018 12:07 pm
It shows speed as 32km. So I guess they will say I can't come to a full stop from 32km/h and go in 0.6 seconds?

They gave 3 options

1. Trial

2. Early resolution - meet with prosecutor

3. Plea of guilty - voluntary payment

Which is the best option in my situation
You are correct with regards to what they will say if you go to trial. And you will almost definitely lose.

As far as your options, it depends on what you want to try to accomplish. If you want to negotiate a deal, take the early resolution and see what happens. Only you can decide if your time is worth going this route. I think Ontario is like Alberta in that your insurance won't be affected by red light camera tickets, so it's just a matter of the fine.

C
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3751 posts
675 upvotes
Toronto
85bj60 wrote:
Jul 29th, 2018 11:37 pm
Isn't stopped and parked two different actions?
Section 1(1) of the HTA defines park or parking where prohibited as: "the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except when standing temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading merchandise or passengers".

So yes, they are different, but "parking" legally doesn't mean what people commonly use it to mean (e.g. parking at the mall and going into a store). Unless you are actually moving things or passengers in and out of the vehicle, you are parked. "Waiting" is considered parked, even if you are sitting in the driver's seat. So all those people sitting in their cars with their 4-ways on in no-parking zones on streets outside of TTC stations, waiting for people to arrive, could (and should) be ticketed.
Sep 20, 2003
548 posts
32 upvotes
Got ticketed for an illegal u turn back in August of 2017. Went to court in April 2018 hoping the cop wouldn't show, but he did. Anyways, During the waiting prior to the trial, the prosecutor was intimidating me claiming they have me on video committing the offence, and he was speaking to the cop saying he will delay my trial so the cop would have time to go burn the dvd from "downstairs". Anyway, come time to the trial, just as we're about to start I ask the judge and prosecutor where the tape is? Now the judge is explaining to me that they don't have it, and that he suggested me to request disclosure in order to form my defense. I went downstairs and submitted their form for disclosure. They said they would call me to come pick up the dvd for the video, but they had the typed disclosure that gave me on the spot.

This was over 2 months ago, and I still did not receive any phone call. I am thinking of requesting disclosure again via the template on the ticketcombat.com website + registered mail as my next trial date is in September. Any other advise for my situation? Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6706 posts
3727 upvotes
Edmonton
gdong wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 1:36 pm
Got ticketed for an illegal u turn back in August of 2017. Went to court in April 2018 hoping the cop wouldn't show, but he did. Anyways, During the waiting prior to the trial, the prosecutor was intimidating me claiming they have me on video committing the offence, and he was speaking to the cop saying he will delay my trial so the cop would have time to go burn the dvd from "downstairs". Anyway, come time to the trial, just as we're about to start I ask the judge and prosecutor where the tape is? Now the judge is explaining to me that they don't have it, and that he suggested me to request disclosure in order to form my defense. I went downstairs and submitted their form for disclosure. They said they would call me to come pick up the dvd for the video, but they had the typed disclosure that gave me on the spot.

This was over 2 months ago, and I still did not receive any phone call. I am thinking of requesting disclosure again via the template on the ticketcombat.com website + registered mail as my next trial date is in September. Any other advise for my situation? Thanks!
Have you called them?

C
Sep 20, 2003
548 posts
32 upvotes
I haven't, I guess I should chase them for video disclosure?
Jul 21, 2010
45 posts
2 upvotes
Newmarket
My 20 years old daughter, who is a full time 3rd year uni student at McMaster, made a left turn when the light is yellow. This car from the other side came lightning fast and she didn't brake fast enough. Our car nudged the other car lightly and it couldn't stop until 300 metres away, made a 180º turn and climbed onto the medium curb. It's rear wheels were came off. That driver was not hurt, vaping e-cigarette when writing his statement, and no ambulance was present. It's my daughter's first accident and she never had any tickets before. The cop gave her a careless driving ticket. She was panicked and forget to tell the cops we have dash cam in the car. What's the best way to deal with this? Thanks a lot.
Diehard Macuser
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6706 posts
3727 upvotes
Edmonton
gdong wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 2:04 pm
I haven't, I guess I should chase them for video disclosure?
They’re only obligated to make their disclosure available to you, not deliver it by some means you specify. So it may be sitting there waiting for you to pick it up.

C
Sep 20, 2003
548 posts
32 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 2:43 pm
They’re only obligated to make their disclosure available to you, not deliver it by some means you specify. So it may be sitting there waiting for you to pick it up.

C
Got it. They mentioned they'd call me, but it's been 3 months with no call. I will give them a ring.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6706 posts
3727 upvotes
Edmonton
m2pphkg wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 2:20 pm
My 20 years old daughter, who is a full time 3rd year uni student at McMaster, made a left turn when the light is yellow. This car from the other side came lightning fast and she didn't brake fast enough. Our car nudged the other car lightly and it couldn't stop until 300 metres away, made a 180º turn and climbed onto the medium curb. It's rear wheels were came off. That driver was not hurt, vaping e-cigarette when writing his statement, and no ambulance was present. It's my daughter's first accident and she never had any tickets before. The cop gave her a careless driving ticket. She was panicked and forget to tell the cops we have dash cam in the car. What's the best way to deal with this? Thanks a lot.
By default, the driver making the left turn is responsible for making it safely. You may want to get legal (paralegal) help, as a careless driving conviction can have significant repercussions on insurance rates.

On the plus side, the cop didn’t see the incident, so he’s quite limited to what he can testify to. And the other driver may be a no-show.

Has this gone through insurance yet?

C

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 0 guests)

85bj60, gdong, rcmpvet