Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1415 posts
503 upvotes
That is a hard bargain......If he doesn't plan on adding more points to his record then take the cheaper ticket....if he is worried about adding too many points to his record then take the expensive offer. At any rate I would assume disobey sign looks better on your driver abstract.....
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1578 posts
552 upvotes
Insurance only takes note of an infraction. Rates will go up the same amount whichever one he chooses.
Alex
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3675 posts
3006 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I don't think either option is really going to impact insurance better/worse - they're both going to suck pretty much equally. Therefore, I think his best option is to take the lower points hit by accepting the disobey sign deal. This will keep his total points lower in the "warning tier", otherwise, with 6 points he's getting closer to the "possible suspension" tier. I think the bigger risk here is getting suspended for having too many points and that should be the focus rather than insurance rates.

And all that said, the biggest risk is his behaviour - that needs to change for the sake of keeping his licence, keeping his insurance rates affordable, keeping his life, and most importantly keeping the roads safe for the rest of us!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5943 posts
1417 upvotes
???
Lol I like how hiring a paralegal made the ticket worse.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3481 posts
2994 upvotes
The NORTH
vaportech wrote: Lol I like how hiring a paralegal made the ticket worse.
No kidding, how did that happen????
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10623 posts
2938 upvotes
Toronto
I been to court for a few traffic violations in the pasts and always present myself.
I see people hiring paralegal to present them. For small traffic violations like speeding under 50km over, all they do is plea guilt when the prosecutor offer to lower the fine and make it 0 points. But it is almost useless, the client will still have a conviction on his record and will still affect his insurance. Or if there is 2 convictions, like minor speeding + failed to stop on a stop side, they will just accept prosector's offer to drop one and keep one. Client will have the record on file. There is no difference between you going by yourself or hiring a paralegal. They go back to see client and tell them I make them to lower the fine and now is NO point and think they are a big winner and helped so much. duh

It is useless to hiring a paralegal. People are just scare to go out there and face what they did and the consequences. They rather pay someone to do it for them.

IMO, unless you got a very serious charge like DUI or careless driving causing injury, etc, those minor convictions, you should just go yourself if you have valid defense statement.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Apr 24, 2017
504 posts
305 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: I been to court for a few traffic violations in the pasts and always present myself.
I see people hiring paralegal to present them. For small traffic violations like speeding under 50km over, all they do is plea guilt when the prosecutor offer to lower the fine and make it 0 points. But it is almost useless, the client will still have a conviction on his record and will still affect his insurance. Or if there is 2 convictions, like minor speeding + failed to stop on a stop side, they will just accept prosector's offer to drop one and keep one. Client will have the record on file. There is no difference between you going by yourself or hiring a paralegal. They go back to see client and tell them I make them to lower the fine and now is NO point and think they are a big winner and helped so much. duh

It is useless to hiring a paralegal. People are just scare to go out there and face what they did and the consequences. They rather pay someone to do it for them.

IMO, unless you got a very serious charge like DUI or careless driving causing injury, etc, those minor convictions, you should just go yourself if you have valid defense statement.
Yeah but what if you hire a good one? You’re telling me there’s no difference between you and someone knowledgeable and capable?
Nov 28, 2011
903 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks all!

My brother decided to go with the Disobey Sign infraction as it has less of an impact on his DP considering his other conviction and pending traffic violation charge.

Funny though, apparently his paralegal friend got the court fees wrong. It's not $300, but rather $360 all in.

Oops.... Guess that's the cost of learning to take it easy on the pedal for some folks.

Appreciate the insight! Hope I don't have to ask any more questions here on his behalf Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10623 posts
2938 upvotes
Toronto
benjicash wrote:
Yeah but what if you hire a good one? You’re telling me there’s no difference between you and someone knowledgeable and capable?
Right, there is no difference in those minor traffic infractions. All they do is accept prosecutor 's offer and plea guilty to accept lower fine and 0 pts deducted. There is a sticky thread in this section. Points doesn't accept insurance. Therefore. 0 pts or 3 pts will be same when renew your insurance next year. It is still one concoction on your record.

Literally, you can present yourself there and accept prosecutor offer and will be the same result, why paying extra for someone to so it

Like I said, unless those are major conviction such as hit and run, DUi, those could be better off seeking professional advice. Or you are at risk to lose your license, then go get help.

Otherwise I dont see a big help from payiny a paralegal to fight minor conviction. If you decide to fight it, there are more steps to do and prepare, which is already discussed earlier in this mega thread.

If there is a paralegal can fight off the minor speeding ticket totally and leave no fine, no pt AND No Conviction giving there there is no fatal error on ticket and cops were present (which most of the time, they will show up), I would like to hear and know this good one.
Apr 24, 2017
504 posts
305 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: Right, there is no difference in those minor traffic infractions. All they do is accept prosecutor 's offer and plea guilty to accept lower fine and 0 pts deducted. There is a sticky thread in this section. Points doesn't accept insurance. Therefore. 0 pts or 3 pts will be same when renew your insurance next year. It is still one concoction on your record.

Literally, you can present yourself there and accept prosecutor offer and will be the same result, why paying extra for someone to so it

Like I said, unless those are major conviction such as hit and run, DUi, those could be better off seeking professional advice. Or you are at risk to lose your license, then go get help.

Otherwise I dont see a big help from payiny a paralegal to fight minor conviction. If you decide to fight it, there are more steps to do and prepare, which is already discussed earlier in this mega thread.

If there is a paralegal can fight off the minor speeding ticket totally and leave no fine, no pt AND No Conviction giving there there is no fatal error on ticket and cops were present (which most of the time, they will show up), I would like to hear and know this good one.
Paralegals that take charges to trial when instructed to do so by their clients do exist. Winning that trial keeps the conviction from your record.

On the other side, reductions can be helpful and worth every penny. Let’s take a G2 driver, charged with a cell phone or 30 over the limit where they could lose their license if convicted (which is another insurance surcharge). A plea agreement to a lesser offence saves them from becoming a pedestrian as well as the license suspension surcharge from insurance companies. Now you might say oh you could just walk into court and do that yourself. What if the prosecutor says ‘you’re a g2, you need to learn your lesson, no breaks’? or ‘you’ve got a record, I’m not going to reduce it’?

In that case do you think a competent paralegal with experience can get a better result? That they might have knowledge you don’t about the law and various higher court decisions on evidence etc? That they are far more likey to dig up an issue in law than the lay person representing themselves expecting a cookie cutter justice system?

Really?
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10623 posts
2938 upvotes
Toronto
benjicash wrote: Paralegals that take charges to trial when instructed to do so by their clients do exist. Winning that trial keeps the conviction from your record.

On the other side, reductions can be helpful and worth every penny. Let’s take a G2 driver, charged with a cell phone or 30 over the limit where they could lose their license if convicted (which is another insurance surcharge). A plea agreement to a lesser offence saves them from becoming a pedestrian as well as the license suspension surcharge from insurance companies. Now you might say oh you could just walk into court and do that yourself. What if the prosecutor says ‘you’re a g2, you need to learn your lesson, no breaks’? or ‘you’ve got a record, I’m not going to reduce it’?

In that case do you think a competent paralegal with experience can get a better result? That they might have knowledge you don’t about the law and various higher court decisions on evidence etc? That they are far more likey to dig up an issue in law than the lay person representing themselves expecting a cookie cutter justice system?

Really?
Your example is for someone that is risk to lose their license. I mentioned on my previous post. If you are in a situation of a major conviction or risk of a license suspension, then hire a professional for help.

My point was typical a minor conviction or like bluegang06's example where there are 2 minor convictions. Mostly likely prosecutor will offer to drop one and keep the other at the trial. Rather a paralegal or you present yourself will end up the same result.
Dec 12, 2017
44 posts
Quebec
qwertyjjj wrote: I thought the trick was not to put a phone number on your letter so they couldn't ring you to tell you the disclosure was at the courthouse and they never bother writing a letter. You then ask the judge for a stay?
Ideally I don't want them to send a disclosure and then I can ask for a stay?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10149 posts
6447 upvotes
Edmonton
qwertyjjj wrote: Ideally I don't want them to send a disclosure and then I can ask for a stay?
All that’s going to happen in that case is the JO will reschedule for another day. So you’ll be wasting your (and everyone else’s) time.

C
Dec 12, 2017
44 posts
Quebec
CNeufeld wrote: All that’s going to happen in that case is the JO will reschedule for another day. So you’ll be wasting your (and everyone else’s) time.

C
Oh. I thought you could ask the judge that since the city didn't bother sending you anything, they wasted your time and therefore the ticket should be annulled?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)