Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Apr 28, 2017
766 posts
649 upvotes
rcmpvet wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 9:47 am
If you take the stand testify, identifying yourself as the driver, then I believe it is conceivable that the Crown can amend the charge to one where you are charged as a driver as opposed to being the owner. This answer is very generic as we have no idea in which province the offence took place.
Sorry, I'm in BC
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1640 posts
520 upvotes
Winnipeg
Where exactly can one find official regulations regarding front licence plates in provinces that require them? (I assume it’s going to be the same/similar in all provinces that require front plates.) The Highway Traffic Act (Manitoba) does not specifically address it saying only that the number of plates and their location has to be in accordance with regulations... so I guess I am curious where exactly those regulations can be found.
Oct 4, 2018
1 posts
Hello,

I received a hefty parking ticket today for 175 dollars. Actually, I work for skip the dishes making food deliveries to customers in Mississauga. I was obliged to park near the entrance of the building (one of the absolute buildings) for 5 minutes as there were no parking spots available nearby.When I parked, I phoned the customer telling her to come down, but unfortunately because she refused, I got up to deliver the food, and when I came back, I found the ticket on the car's windshield.

Now I want to challenge this penalty. It is truly devastating for me to pay this hefty fine.Frankly, I can not afford paying it.

Could anyone please provide some insight on what I have to do. Is there a possibility that the court reduces the amount that has to be paid?

Thank you very much.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1395 posts
715 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
mbmbkop wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 4:26 pm
Where exactly can one find official regulations regarding front licence plates in provinces that require them? (I assume it’s going to be the same/similar in all provinces that require front plates.) The Highway Traffic Act (Manitoba) does not specifically address it saying only that the number of plates and their location has to be in accordance with regulations... so I guess I am curious where exactly those regulations can be found.
Here is the Act respecting called "The Drivers and Vehicles Act":
http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/d104e.php

If you look you will see the section "Regulations", clicking on that you will see Regulation 57/2006, as found here:
http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/regs/current ... eg=57/2006

Going into that regulation you will find Section 29 which gives the definition supporting the number of plates required, you also have to read Section 30. You then need to go to the end of the Regulation to find the applicable schedule, as this is a PDF just go to page 52 of 68.

To find regulations for the other provinces one just has to do a comprehensive search. I did make a post a number of months back posting links to all the provinces and territories where one can start such a search. You would have to look for that post as the moderators may not have felt it was worthy of a sticky or just missed the post. Here is the post:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/provinc ... #p28863741
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1640 posts
520 upvotes
Winnipeg
rcmpvet wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 9:31 am
Here is the Act respecting called "The Drivers and Vehicles Act":
http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/d104e.php

If you look you will see the section "Regulations", clicking on that you will see Regulation 57/2006, as found here:
http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/regs/current ... eg=57/2006

Going into that regulation you will find Section 29 which gives the definition supporting the number of plates required, you also have to read Section 30. You then need to go to the end of the Regulation to find the applicable schedule, as this is a PDF just go to page 52 of 68.

To find regulations for the other provinces one just has to do a comprehensive search. I did make a post a number of months back posting links to all the provinces and territories where one can start such a search. You would have to look for that post as the moderators may not have felt it was worthy of a sticky or just missed the post. Here is the post:
provincial-territorial-highway-traffic- ... #p28863741
Thank you for a very detailed answer. I did not read everything very carefully yet, but it looks like there is no definition of "front of a vehicle" (??). Hence, it seems to me that a "front licence plate" can be attached anywhere on the vehicle so that it is facing forward, i.e., it can be the left/right side of the bumper, the hood (if the angle is right) and probably even the outside of the windshield. Some people try to display it by putting it on the dashboard, but this is likely not to be considered the "front of the vehicle"... but that can probably still be argued in court depending on the charge (i.e., the plate inside the car is obscured by the windshield , and so this would be a legitimate charge).
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1395 posts
715 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
@mbmbkop For your following question you have to specifically refer to Sec. 61)1) in the first link:

Visibility of number plates

61(1) No person shall drive or tow a vehicle on a highway unless the number plates required to be displayed on it are secured in a manner and maintained in a condition so that all of the following information about the vehicle is clearly visible and readable and unobscured by any part of the vehicle, its attachments or its load:
(a) the jurisdiction or authority that issued the number plates;
(b) the vehicle's registration number and class;
(c) the period of validity or date of expiry of the registration.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7128 posts
4075 upvotes
Edmonton
Rash66 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 1:42 am
Hello,

I received a hefty parking ticket today for 175 dollars. Actually, I work for skip the dishes making food deliveries to customers in Mississauga. I was obliged to park near the entrance of the building (one of the absolute buildings) for 5 minutes as there were no parking spots available nearby.When I parked, I phoned the customer telling her to come down, but unfortunately because she refused, I got up to deliver the food, and when I came back, I found the ticket on the car's windshield.

Now I want to challenge this penalty. It is truly devastating for me to pay this hefty fine.Frankly, I can not afford paying it.

Could anyone please provide some insight on what I have to do. Is there a possibility that the court reduces the amount that has to be paid?

Thank you very much.
On what basis will you challenge the ticket? None of what you've said is any kind of defense. All you can do is follow the procedure that's probably listed on your ticket for disputing the ticket, and ask for a break. But they're under no obligation to do so.

https://www.mississauga.ca/portal/servi ... iewpenalty

C
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4359 posts
483 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Hi - looking for some feedback/advice....like everyone here I guess.

Wife visited in Peterborough, Ontario.
Parked in an "Accessible Parking Space" - didn't see the signs, I assume the signs were not obvious since otherwise she would never do that.
Got a ticket for $300.-

We are in Cornwall.
I was going to check with google maps to see if I can find out what the signage is for that "Accessible Parking Space", but when I look at the ticket, all it gives on the ticket for location is "George Street N"
I have had a few parking tickets in my time, and they all indicated a street and house number on the ticket - soemtimes they would say "near ......"
Without identifying the actual location, is this even a valid ticket?
Everything else on the ticket, license number, make of car, date, is correct.

Trouble is that it's a 8 hour trip to Peterborough and back, so it's hardly worth the time and effort to go there for a court date.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1395 posts
715 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
I found 3 such places on George St itself. Two of them are metered spots, the signs on both are positioned below the meter head itself, almost at curb level, but there were additional signs posted at the start of those spaces. All are in what appears to be a business section.
May 9, 2006
551 posts
77 upvotes
Mississauga
I woke up this morning to find a ticket on my car parked in driveway with no license plate, I don’t understand why I got a ticket if the car is on my driveway. The reason I have a parked is i am waiting for weekend to do my paper work.
It says parked car on highway which is immobile or unlicensed.
Can I fight this ticket?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7128 posts
4075 upvotes
Edmonton
djjungly wrote:
Oct 6th, 2018 9:21 am
I woke up this morning to find a ticket on my car parked in driveway with no license plate, I don’t understand why I got a ticket if the car is on my driveway. The reason I have a parked is i am waiting for weekend to do my paper work.
It says parked car on highway which is immobile or unlicensed.
Can I fight this ticket?
Take a picture of the car exactly as it’s parked, showing it’s location relative to the main road, etc, and post that. Post the actual citation on the ticket (HTA number).

ETA: or was it a municipal by-law ticket? Seems the GTA frowns upon unplanted cars on your own properties...
can-i-leave-car-w-no-licencse-plate-my-driveway-550061/

C
Oct 6, 2018
1 posts
My wife was pulled over after she made a left turn on yellow light. The officer claims it was red she insists that it was yellow.

It’s $350 ticket and she is so mad about it and wants to take it to court.

What are her chances? And what’s a good strategy to fight it ?
Oct 7, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
New Brunswick
First, plead not guilty at the court date, there is a reasonably good procedural post at the beginning of " Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.) ", You can always change your mind later if you want. Get Disclosure to see if there is any video, and what the officer notes were, fyi if the officer was doing a detail at the light for that specific reason.. it might be hard to beat, however, if your wife entered the intersection on a green and waited for other traffic to clear the intersection (including pedestrians) before she proceeded, even if the light turned yellow then red, You have a good argument. However, if she entered the intersection on a yellow and had time to stop, plus the officer observed this and can articulate it well in court.. not much chance. Hope this helps.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7128 posts
4075 upvotes
Edmonton
HanyG14063 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2018 10:12 pm
My wife was pulled over after she made a left turn on yellow light. The officer claims it was red she insists that it was yellow.

It’s $350 ticket and she is so mad about it and wants to take it to court.

What are her chances? And what’s a good strategy to fight it ?
Chances are low, because it’s her word against his. But she can start by requesting a trial and getting disclosure. And develop a defence based on that.

C
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2511 posts
323 upvotes
Time to received disclosure. I requested disclosure 2 months ago and nothing yet. How long does it usually take?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)