Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Dec 29, 2012
523 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
If an 11b is filed today, are we to still use the orginal template which refers to the Askov case from the 90s or do we need to replace that reference with the new cases where the goal post was moved in light of the pandemic and COVID delays?
Oct 5, 2008
755 posts
814 upvotes
GTA
Whoa - just got a $450 automated speed enforcement ticket. (80 in a 50 zone, "community safety zone" - at 6:43PM). Anyone had luck fighting these?
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
I received a ticket back in Sep 2019 in York region, the original court date was March 2020, but due to pandemic, it was cancelled. Haven't heard any update. Has anyone experienced the similar situation ?
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
How does one fight this? Luckily it ain't going to affect your insurance.
Fatty55 wrote: Whoa - just got a $450 automated speed enforcement ticket. (80 in a 50 zone, "community safety zone" - at 6:43PM). Anyone had luck fighting these?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11769 upvotes
GTA
Fatty55 wrote: Whoa - just got a $450 automated speed enforcement ticket. (80 in a 50 zone, "community safety zone" - at 6:43PM). Anyone had luck fighting these?
Fines are doubled in community safety zones which are areas like schools, playgrounds, etc.

Community Safety Zones may include roadways near schools, day care centres, playgrounds, parks, hospitals, senior citizen residences
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
So the best strategy is to wait until one gets a trial date before they file a disclosure request, correct?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2008
1534 posts
406 upvotes
hydewolf wrote: Thanks for this. This was the link I was referring to but didn't see the part where I can swear before the court. I just asked the JP, is the affidavit mandatory his response: uuhhhhhhh... I believe so

Then the prosecutor repeating 11b application is not formally complete without the signed affidavit. No idea why they want to keep adjourning.
I did not have the affidavit when doing the 11b back 7-8 years ago following ticketcombat.com, my 11b was deemed in order by judge and prosecutor in Markham court.
Dec 29, 2012
523 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
phht wrote: I did not have the affidavit when doing the 11b back 7-8 years ago following ticketcombat.com, my 11b was deemed in order by judge and prosecutor in Markham court.
Thanks for the advice. It's good to hear others had success. I should have did more research going in. Now debating if I should just not do the affidavit again or possible the JP and prosecutor giving me a hard time again Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2016
1681 posts
1737 upvotes
Montreal
djino wrote: No this isn't normal, but you also should not be too concerned. There is a chance that they dropped the charges, but just have not notified you (This happens more often than you might think).

If for some reason they forgot to mail you your notice or it just got lost in the mail (which will cause you to be found guilty by default), they still have to mail you another letter stating this and for you to pay the fine. <-- If this occurs, you can take this payment request/notice to the court and have your case reopened on the grounds that you weren't told about your trial. You won't be at any disadvantage.

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/stat/r ... c11subsec1

----

So, just be patient and wait for something to arrive in the mail. No need to contact the court/prosecutor as its not your job to hound them on sending you court information. And if you do eventually get sent a trial notice, this will help you should you need to file an 11b application.

djino
I never received the notification of the trial for my parking ticket, and was convicted by default (with an additional $65 fee). How can I prove that their letter was lost in mail? I only received the final judgement letter. To re-open the case, there's a $24 fee. Is it possible to have the additional court fee ($65+$24) reduced, if the judge agrees with my arguments?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2008
1534 posts
406 upvotes
maxpwr wrote: I got a Red light camera ticket for $320 lately. I know I didnt go through the intersection I just made a right turn and I may or may have not completely stopped before making the turn. I have asked for trial. Anyone knows if I have a case that may throw out the ticket? I mean how can you prove that you stopped or at least came to very low speed say 2 Km/hr before making the right turn?
there was a post way back saying it calculated the speeds between the 2 points and compared then concluded that the car did not fully stop at the red light. Check the following link if you want to fight it.
https://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.co ... t8356.html
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
“Fighting” it? You’re not likely to “win”, since they have you on camera. However, you can likely negotiate it down. And, as has been mentioned already, it won’t affect your insurance, so that’s kind of a win already.

C
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2008
1534 posts
406 upvotes
maxpwr wrote: I got a Red light camera ticket for $320 lately. I know I didnt go through the intersection I just made a right turn and I may or may have not completely stopped before making the turn. I have asked for trial. Anyone knows if I have a case that may throw out the ticket? I mean how can you prove that you stopped or at least came to very low speed say 2 Km/hr before making the right turn?
there was a post way back saying it calculated the speeds between the 2 points when the car was turning, then compared the speeds and concluded that the car did not fully stop at the red light. I guess the reason for comparing the speeds is because it is legal to make a right turn in Ontario (unless there is a sign at the intersection "Stop here on red signal").
An interesting read:
https://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.co ... t8356.html
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2019
1228 posts
1020 upvotes
I have a speeding ticket for more than 24 months (April 2020) but still have not receive the court date. Should I try to submit a 11b now or wait until I receive the court date notice?

Thanks in advance.
Dec 19, 2011
64 posts
25 upvotes
MONTR
Hi,

I received a ticket today for merging over a full line. I'm not debating not doing it, but I was wondering what I should've done in the situation. There are cops waiting at the beggining of a reserved bus lane to trap drivers, but the reserved lane starts right after a full line, so you can't merge before the bus lane. It was either I engage in the bus lane, or I merge over the full line (which I did right before the reserved lane, where the arrow is).

The lane I was in is a normal lane and the full line is there for over 500m so there's really nowhere to go. I told the policeman I did it not to engage in the bus lane, he told me the full line was there for a reason. I asked him what I should've done because of the bad design of the lanes, and he just shrugged it off, clearly knowing I was f***ed whatever I decided to do.

Sucks to lose points and pay 200$ for that, is there anything I could've done differently? I might be too lazy to defend myself in court over that, but it infuriates me that the poor road design leads to tickets and cops are waiting there and collecting everyone's money because of it (I wasn't alone, they picked other cars over bus lane infractions).

What could I do?

Thanks
Images
  • 2022-05-02_09h06_11.jpg
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
Wnaker wrote: Just got a ticket for parking within 3 metres of a hydrant in Toronto. Set fine is $100, have started a dispute online as that's the only option at the moment.

The hydrant I'm in front of is over 20 feet back from the roadway, so I'm not sure how legit this ticket is. Any advice, or am I just dense..
Fire needs direct access to the hydrant in case of an emergency. You e blocked that access.
Dec 1, 2017
88 posts
58 upvotes
So my virtual trial date is coming up in a couple weeks. 15km/h over the limit speeding ticket. Offence was almost 24 months ago in Innisfil. When I received the notice for trial in the mail back in February I requested disclosure through the city of Barrie website. I have still not received disclosure and I don't have proof of my request for disclosure since I didn't receive an email confirmation. (I know I should've taken a screenshot). The only thing I have is my browser history showing I was on the disclosure request page February 16th.

Any suggestions?
Apr 24, 2022
5 posts
1 upvote
Wondering about the affidavit for submitting 11b -- earlier posts mentioned submitting 11b via email, is affidavit still necessary? (If so, what's needed for it? Do you still need the court to stamp it somehow?)
Do you serve all parties with one email? Or separately email each individual party?
Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9103 posts
4569 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
So I'm still waiting on a court date for a ticket back in end of 2021, I'm assuming I'm just still stuck in the backlog?

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)