Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Apr 24, 2013
553 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
3) There has been 10 months or more since you received the ticket to your trial date
Can I still "stay" my trial for this reason? does this method still work?
I got Fido $15/month plan.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7446 posts
4310 upvotes
Edmonton
AmAnK70725 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 9:18 pm
I was charged with careless driving. Here is what happened - A police car had blocked two lanes of the road while the oncoming two lanes were not blocked. I thought it is a diversion so I slowed down, changed my lane to the other side and passed the police vehicle at at speed of 20 kph. As soon as I passed him, he honked and turned his siren on. Came to me and asked me for my license and other documents. I asked him what went wrong and I thought it is a diversion. He answered 'keep thinking' and went back to his car and came back with a ticket for careless driving and a fine of $490. He told me the road is closed due to an accident and I wasn't supposed to pass him. While all this was happening, there were at least 3 other vehicles who did the same thing but he simply asked them to take a u-turn because he was busy charging me. I asked him that why did you let the car behind me go to which he replied I dont know who was behind you. How should I go with this now? I will plead not guilty but I want to know a bit more?
First off, know that a careless driving conviction is like getting an impaired driving ticket, as far as your insurance goes. So you do NOT want that conviction on your record.

Having said that, it doesn’t sound like they have much of a case on you. Request a trial, request your disclosure, and go from there.

And whether other people were ticketed or not is irrelevant to your case.

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7446 posts
4310 upvotes
Edmonton
john5170 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 11:24 pm
It is, but I think the Jordan case bumped it up to 18 months. For anything less than that, you’d have to be very good at debating to win a stay.

C
Nov 29, 2018
3 posts
Perfect thank you sir. The ticket shows under personlized plate xxxyyy and my number plate is xxx-yyy should now i be worried or not? The number xxxyyy is not my number plate.
Jan 31, 2008
21 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
My girlfriend got pulled over for a speeding violation, she was not the one speeding but the Officer pulled her over and gave her the ticket. I have a video of the incident which shows another car clearly speeding ahead of her which the Officer only stopped to pull my girlfriend over and pass them. Is there anything that we would need to do ahead of time to tell them we like to play this video at traffic court?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9629 posts
4014 upvotes
Toronto
Ask for disclosure. Your video isn't going to be viewed in court....does it have a speed indicator on the video?
wing604 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 12:39 pm
My girlfriend got pulled over for a speeding violation, she was not the one speeding but the Officer pulled her over and gave her the ticket. I have a video of the incident which shows another car clearly speeding ahead of her which the Officer only stopped to pull my girlfriend over and pass them. Is there anything that we would need to do ahead of time to tell them we like to play this video at traffic court?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jan 31, 2008
21 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 12:50 pm
Ask for disclosure. Your video isn't going to be viewed in court....does it have a speed indicator on the video?
We requested the Officer's notes, is that the same? It doesn't really have much info other than the speed readings, distance, travelling direction and a 2 sentence dialogue where she questions him if he got the correct vehicle, which he says yes, no doubt. The video does not show the speed but the video clearly shows the other car pulling away from her and she only catches up when they brake.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5631 posts
1108 upvotes
???
AmAnK70725 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 9:18 pm
I was charged with careless driving. Here is what happened - A police car had blocked two lanes of the road while the oncoming two lanes were not blocked. I thought it is a diversion so I slowed down, changed my lane to the other side and passed the police vehicle at at speed of 20 kph. As soon as I passed him, he honked and turned his siren on. Came to me and asked me for my license and other documents. I asked him what went wrong and I thought it is a diversion. He answered 'keep thinking' and went back to his car and came back with a ticket for careless driving and a fine of $490. He told me the road is closed due to an accident and I wasn't supposed to pass him. While all this was happening, there were at least 3 other vehicles who did the same thing but he simply asked them to take a u-turn because he was busy charging me. I asked him that why did you let the car behind me go to which he replied I dont know who was behind you. How should I go with this now? I will plead not guilty but I want to know a bit more?
Request a trial, get disclosure, post disclosure when you get it and redact personal info. Until then hard to say what defences you’ll have. Careless driving is a strict liability offence so you do have the option of due diligence.
john5170 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 11:24 pm
No, Jordan case changed the ceiling to 18 months. For provincial offences the ceiling is now 13-15 months based on Court of Appeal decision.
CNeufeld wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 1:52 am
It is, but I think the Jordan case bumped it up to 18 months. For anything less than that, you’d have to be very good at debating to win a stay.

C
See above.
NayanP34979 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 6:41 am
Perfect thank you sir. The ticket shows under personlized plate xxxyyy and my number plate is xxx-yyy should now i be worried or not? The number xxxyyy is not my number plate.
Spaces in the plate don’t matter.
wing604 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 12:39 pm
Give the court a heads up that you’ll intend to play a video at the trial so they can prepare the equipment necessary. You’ll admit it during cross-exam of officer.
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 12:50 pm
See above.
wing604 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 12:59 pm
We requested the Officer's notes, is that the same? It doesn't really have much info other than the speed readings, distance, travelling direction and a 2 sentence dialogue where she questions him if he got the correct vehicle, which he says yes, no doubt. The video does not show the speed but the video clearly shows the other car pulling away from her and she only catches up when they brake.
Officers notes is part of the disclosure package. It’s what officer will rely on during testimony. Post it and redact personal info when you get it.
Jan 31, 2008
21 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
vaportech wrote: Officers notes is part of the disclosure package. It’s what officer will rely on during testimony. Post it and redact personal info when you get it.
Thanks, I will request that.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5002 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
guys im trying to pay online for speeding ticket, its been 3 days since i got this, but in the website it says "Offence number XXXXXX is not yet in the system."

should I wait for few more days? i have 15 days only though
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5631 posts
1108 upvotes
???
They have 7 days to file it. Then it needs a couple of days to process. If you still can’t pay after 10 days then I’d call the court house to see if the ticket was filed.
Jun 15, 2016
130 posts
34 upvotes
vaportech wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 10:59 am
Yes you can, it's a bit complicated and you'd have to go the Superior Court of Justice to do it.

I would suggest you call the clerk at the SCJ to see where you can make your application.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p33#BK182

Section 140 of the Provincial Offences Act
I cant find a phone number or anything on the website. Any idea where is the best place to look for this
Jun 21, 2013
9 posts
Toronto
My dad got a disobey sign ticket (no right turn before 7 am to 9am) earlier this year. So he requested a disclosure for note and video. However, he only got the officer's notes. The disclosure document stated that there is No ICCS video. Does anyone here has any idea how to fight this ticket? Should we tell the prosecutor/crown that there is not enough evidence? I also notice that there is no sign prohibit from turning left. Should we hire a ticket fighter? Thank You :)
Jan 19, 2008
975 posts
415 upvotes
Etobicoke
Was he turning left or right. If he was turning right during the hours of 7 and 9 AM, then all that is needed is the officer's notes and/or testimony. No video is required.
Jun 21, 2013
9 posts
Toronto
he was turning right. So there is no way to fight the ticket?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

saiz66