Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7766 posts
4548 upvotes
Edmonton
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 11:03 am
Hi folks,

I received a reduced speeding ticket of $52. I am accused of going 91 on a 60 speed limit zone. The officer reduced it to 75 km, but the ticket does mention it was reduced from 91.

I have no problem paying $52 instead of going through the hoops of fighting it...However, my concern is my insurance premiums will go up. Any advice?

This is my first speeding ticket after 11 years of driving. However, I do have an at-fault accident on my record from 2014.
Your insurance premiums go based on convictions. You would have to check with your insurance company to find out if you have any form of "incident forgiveness".

A minor ticket like 15 over shouldn't cause a big increase. However, if you take it to trial, the prosecutor has the option to amend the ticket back up to the original 31 over, which bumps it up in severity. There's no guarantees that taking it to trial means getting off anyways, so you'll have to check if you're feeling lucky about the officer not showing up. If they do, you'll probably lose, have a bigger fine, wasted your time, etc...

Personally, I'd suggest you should pay the ticket and take your insurance lumps, rather than try to fight it, pay more money, and still take your insurance lumps.

C
Sep 18, 2009
210 posts
56 upvotes
Brampton
I now have a question unfortunately.

Got a notice in the mail about a ticket I received. It states that the original certificate of offence was not received by the provincial offences office from the enforcement officer, therefore your request for an early resolution meeting with the prosecutor will not be processed.

Does that mean I am now on the hook for the ticket?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7766 posts
4548 upvotes
Edmonton
Nyl wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 5:53 pm
I now have a question unfortunately.

Got a notice in the mail about a ticket I received. It states that the original certificate of offence was not received by the provincial offences office from the enforcement officer, therefore your request for an early resolution meeting with the prosecutor will not be processed.

Does that mean I am now on the hook for the ticket?
Did they not give you a phone number or anything to call?

If the paperwork never made it through to the prosecutor, it MAY mean you’re off the hook for this ticket entirely. But you’ll have to get in touch with someone to find out.

C
Sep 18, 2009
210 posts
56 upvotes
Brampton
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 10:05 pm
Did they not give you a phone number or anything to call?

If the paperwork never made it through to the prosecutor, it MAY mean you’re off the hook for this ticket entirely. But you’ll have to get in touch with someone to find out.

C
There is a number, but not for the prosecutor. I'll call the Provincial Offences Office on monday.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4172 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
EEE2 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 11:17 pm
Ido have a paralegal going with me. But speaking to him doesn't seem he cares to help.
Find a different paralegal if you feel that the professional you engaged is not going to represent you properly. If it's this important (might lose your job), you need to be able to trust the person helping you.
Jan 5, 2019
1 posts
If the police setup a checkpost by blockading the road to check for drunken driving, can they give other traffic tickets like backseat passenger not wearing seat belt if the driver had not consumed alcohol, which was their reason for stopping the vehicle initially? If they did that do I have a case to fight it?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7766 posts
4548 upvotes
Edmonton
mag1921 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 2:03 pm
If the police setup a checkpost by blockading the road to check for drunken driving, can they give other traffic tickets like backseat passenger not wearing seat belt if the driver had not consumed alcohol, which was their reason for stopping the vehicle initially? If they did that do I have a case to fight it?
You’ll be fighting a losing battle if you try to argue that in court. Your only hope would be that the officer doesn’t show. Up to you to decide if it’s worth the investment of your time.

C
Jan 5, 2019
1 posts
Hello,
I have a question.. I got pulled over doing 40km over speed limit the first thing he says is you’re on camera, the officer left me as he was ticketing me and went to deal with other people who seemed intoxicated or something sitting under a tree at the side of the road. He was gone for a good while, saw another cruiser come and all that jazz then he quickly throws me my ticket and I go on. I went to court they didn’t drop anything for me except a little on the payment but still 3points. He showed up and was soooooo rude, I declined. The judge booked for the next month for trial, but the officer claimed he won’t have the video ready. This was first of November my trial is first of March and still didn’t get a call for video.
Does him leaving me to deal with someone else help my case? Or it doesn’t matter? Will my charges be dropped?
Thank you!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2768 posts
406 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 10:04 am
Find a different paralegal if you feel that the professional you engaged is not going to represent you properly. If it's this important (might lose your job), you need to be able to trust the person helping you.
I would also like to be able to defend my self. If I could somehow learn some tips, tricks, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7766 posts
4548 upvotes
Edmonton
Ellaxo wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 9:43 pm
Hello,
I have a question.. I got pulled over doing 40km over speed limit the first thing he says is you’re on camera, the officer left me as he was ticketing me and went to deal with other people who seemed intoxicated or something sitting under a tree at the side of the road. He was gone for a good while, saw another cruiser come and all that jazz then he quickly throws me my ticket and I go on. I went to court they didn’t drop anything for me except a little on the payment but still 3points. He showed up and was soooooo rude, I declined. The judge booked for the next month for trial, but the officer claimed he won’t have the video ready. This was first of November my trial is first of March and still didn’t get a call for video.
Does him leaving me to deal with someone else help my case? Or it doesn’t matter? Will my charges be dropped?
Thank you!
Him leaving to talk to someone else won’t matter. However, if he doesn’t have the video available as part of your disclosure will, if it’s nit ready by your trial date.

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7766 posts
4548 upvotes
Edmonton
EEE2 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 6:33 am
I would also like to be able to defend my self. If I could somehow learn some tips, tricks, etc.
Which is more important to you? Learning to defend yourself in court, or keeping your job?

C
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2768 posts
406 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 8:35 am
Which is more important to you? Learning to defend yourself in court, or keeping your job?

C
Both are important sir, but at the end of day most paralegals dont care --they just want to get paid. I have seen this over and over again. Thats why I need to go to trial prepared and also have the paralegal with me.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5692 posts
1130 upvotes
???
EEE2 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 8:40 am
Both are important sir, but at the end of day most paralegals dont care --they just want to get paid. I have seen this over and over again. Thats why I need to go to trial prepared and also have the paralegal with me.
Paralegal is there to represent you. It’s either you hire a representative or do it yourself. You should clearly tell your paralegal what outcome you wish to seek and it’s their job to try to obtain that resolution. If you want a good referral, pm me and I’ll send you their way.
Jan 6, 2019
2 posts
I went to court for a trial date for speeding. The officer wasn't there and the charge was dismissed. The crown said the officer was sick and he just found out that day. The judge didn't buy it and dismissed. Now the crown is appealing.
The thing is, the officer was off work for 6 weeks (roughly 3 weeks before the court and 3 weeks after). I have evidence to this effect.
The prosecutor is still going ahead with the appeal under the argument he was sick that day, and he just found out.
what do I do?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5692 posts
1130 upvotes
???
Kevbo1 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 11:26 am
I went to court for a trial date for speeding. The officer wasn't there and the charge was dismissed. The crown said the officer was sick and he just found out that day. The judge didn't buy it and dismissed. Now the crown is appealing.
The thing is, the officer was off work for 6 weeks (roughly 3 weeks before the court and 3 weeks after). I have evidence to this effect.
The prosecutor is still going ahead with the appeal under the argument he was sick that day, and he just found out.
what do I do?
How fast were you going?