Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2768 posts
406 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 2:09 pm
That sucks. Did they give any feedback on what exactly was "too much"? Was it your testimony in court, or in your statement to the police?

As far as on your record, start here:
https://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.co ... t4208.html

Seemed to have good information for you Ontarians... There's different types of "records".

ETA:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-d ... e34793350/

C
They told me I need to answer yes or no and not go into details. Not sure if it matters but when I was testfying the police officer kept on playing on his phone taking pics and looking at them and laughing. I taught they were suppose to be professional.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7766 posts
4548 upvotes
Edmonton
EEE2 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 3:41 pm
They told me I need to answer yes or no and not go into details. Not sure if it matters but when I was testfying the police officer kept on playing on his phone taking pics and looking at them and laughing. I taught they were suppose to be professional.
Ok... Who is "they"? The ticket fighter you hired? If so, did they tell you that you were going to be testifying, and go over what you were going to be asked (and review what your replies would be)? Did they put the officer on the stand? What kind of questions did they ask you and the officer?

The professionalism of the officer isn't an issue, so it doesn't matter.

C
Jun 15, 2016
163 posts
97 upvotes
Am I legally allowed to post my disclosure on here, what sensitive information should I block out?

I can barely understand the officers notes.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2768 posts
406 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 2:09 pm

That sucks. Did they give any feedback on what exactly was "too much"? Was it your testimony in court, or in your statement to the police?

As far as on your record, start here:
https://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.co ... t4208.html

Seemed to have good information for you Ontarians... There's different types of "records".

ETA:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-d ... e34793350/

C
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 3:49 pm

Ok... Who is "they"? The ticket fighter you hired? If so, did they tell you that you were going to be testifying, and go over what you were going to be asked (and review what your replies would be)? Did they put the officer on the stand? What kind of questions did they ask you and the officer?

The professionalism of the officer isn't an issue, so it doesn't matter.

C
The person I hired told me that I answered in too much detail. He put the officer on the stand. He didn't really spend much time explaining to me to how testify. But he did say I will need to go on stand.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7766 posts
4548 upvotes
Edmonton
EEE2 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 5:47 pm
The person I hired told me that I answered in too much detail. He put the officer on the stand. He didn't really spend much time explaining to me to how testify. But he did say I will need to go on stand.
What kind of questions did he ask you and the officer?

C
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2768 posts
406 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 5:50 pm
What kind of questions did he ask you and the officer?

C
He questioned the officer: the procecuter questioned me. Asked him to clarify his statement. One of the questions if he was behind my vehicle watching me why didn't he turn on sirens and pull me over instead he came next to me asked me to open my window and to pull into the plaza. Also to clarify how did he see me using my phone if he was watching me from behind for 30 seconds.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5692 posts
1130 upvotes
???
EEE2 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 1:52 pm
I got convicted and was told because I provided too much detail during my testimony. Now will this charge stay on my record for 2-3 years?, also does it start from the day I got the ticket or the day I got lost in trial.. how much should I expect insurance to go up by?
It stays on your record forever, but for purposes of insurance they only consider tickets within 3 years starting from conviction date.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5692 posts
1130 upvotes
???
Mikenello wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 4:59 pm
Am I legally allowed to post my disclosure on here, what sensitive information should I block out?

I can barely understand the officers notes.
Yes you can, just block out your personal info.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2768 posts
406 upvotes
vaportech wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:59 pm
It stays on your record forever, but for purposes of insurance they only consider tickets within 3 years starting from conviction date.
Does conviction mean, the date they found you guilty in court, or the date the officer issued the ticket?
Jun 18, 2018
119 posts
46 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:25 am
Does conviction mean, the date they found you guilty in court, or the date the officer issued the ticket?
The day they found you guilty in court.
Jul 20, 2009
645 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
EEE2 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:25 am
If you went to court and were found guilty or plead guilty, it is that date. If you paid the ticket when the officer gave it to you, you plead guilty so it's that date.

Does anyone know the current timing of the Halton courts? I need to delay conviction past Oct 20 for my insurance renewal and wondering what my odds are. What are the best reasons for adjournments?
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
4508 posts
901 upvotes
Toronto
Hi all,

My dad got a speeding ticket on oct 31 2018

He didnt know any better and paid for it a month or bit after.

I'm wondering if its still possible to reopen it and fight it?
Phones for sale
Signing up for Koodo / Public Mobile ? 😉
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5692 posts
1130 upvotes
???
Gotoff wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:16 pm
Hi all,

My dad got a speeding ticket on oct 31 2018

He didnt know any better and paid for it a month or bit after.

I'm wondering if its still possible to reopen it and fight it?
You can try to reopen it. You will also need to fill out the form that asks why it took so long to do it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5692 posts
1130 upvotes
???
P0rkchop wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:03 am
If you went to court and were found guilty or plead guilty, it is that date. If you paid the ticket when the officer gave it to you, you plead guilty so it's that date.

Does anyone know the current timing of the Halton courts? I need to delay conviction past Oct 20 for my insurance renewal and wondering what my odds are. What are the best reasons for adjournments?
6 months I would say. 8-10 in GTA. Rarely are they over one year now.
Jul 20, 2009
645 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
vaportech wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:40 pm
6 months I would say. 8-10 in GTA. Rarely are they over one year now.
Yikes :( One adjournment was easy for me in the past. How likely is it getting two?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)