Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Jan 11, 2019
1 posts
I parked my car near University of Toronto and paid through GreenP phone App. I still got the parking violation ticket. What should I do? Am I going to waste lots of time fighting that ticket at the Court?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5925 posts
1388 upvotes
???
AppleIn wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 3:04 pm
I parked my car near University of Toronto and paid through GreenP phone App. I still got the parking violation ticket. What should I do? Am I going to waste lots of time fighting that ticket at the Court?
You don’t go to court anymore for parking tickets.

Just do the online review thing on Toronto parking site

https://www.toronto.ca/services-payment ... e-process/
Oct 17, 2018
82 posts
49 upvotes
Dmartin77 wrote: Hello, I got a conviction notice for a photo radar ticket that I never received. I called and they are sending me a copy. It perhaps got lost in the postal strike as the date was just prior to them halting sending tickets. Would it be worth my time to get it set aside? If I’ll likely only get the late fee back it’s not worth my time. What are the chances of getting it reduced or waived completely? If go to the court house, how busy will it be? Any better time to go? I’m in Calgary. Thank you.
Anyone have any advice?!
Jun 15, 2016
212 posts
122 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 6:41 pm
If an officer is missing again, you’re building a case to ask for it to be dismissed; the more times they do that, the greater your chances will be. You may have to try to argue hard for it, but you do have a right to a trial, and they can’t keep missing forever.

C
So if the officer is not there, I basically just need to request for the case to be dismissed and then its up to the JP, nothing else I need to do?

Should I just make a plea deal with the prosecutor? It seems like a lot of work to build a case for trial, might aswell save the fine.
Jan 12, 2019
3 posts
So grateful that this place exists! I followed the steps to request my trial - sent two requests for disclosure, no response received. Planning on submitting an application for stay. Could you please let me know if I need affidavit for the disclosure requests that I sent? First one by UPS and second one by Canada Post. Both registered with tracking information and delivery confirmation. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9749 posts
6137 upvotes
Edmonton
SeaPearl wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 4:56 pm
So grateful that this place exists! I followed the steps to request my trial - sent two requests for disclosure, no response received. Planning on submitting an application for stay. Could you please let me know if I need affidavit for the disclosure requests that I sent? First one by UPS and second one by Canada Post. Both registered with tracking information and delivery confirmation. Thanks!
First off, did you try following up with the prosecutor’s office to see if your disclosure is available? When is your trial?

Second, you’re very unlikely to get a stay the first time you show up and haven’t received disclosure yet. But go ahead and submit your request. Can’t hurt. Don’t know that the process is for doing that, though.

C
Jan 12, 2019
3 posts
Thank you for replying. First disclosure request mailed Dec 1 and mailed second follow-up for disclosure request this month again. Have not heard back yet... by “follow up”, were you referring to personally dropping by the office? If so, I haven’t done that, would you recommend doing that? Trial date is March 18...

Just wondering - was there anything in particular that prevents them giving me the stay? Thought not having disclosure could be a reason to apply for a stay... it’d be great if you can advise. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9749 posts
6137 upvotes
Edmonton
SeaPearl wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:39 pm
Thank you for replying. First disclosure request mailed Dec 1 and mailed second follow-up for disclosure request this month again. Have not heard back yet... by “follow up”, were you referring to personally dropping by the office? If so, I haven’t done that, would you recommend doing that? Trial date is March 18...

Just wondering - was there anything in particular that prevents them giving me the stay? Thought not having disclosure could be a reason to apply for a stay... it’d be great if you can advise. Thanks!
No, I meant giving them a call. Did you fill out their form and include all the information, including your phone number?

AFAIK, you won’t get any kind of stay before your trial date. Again, doesn’t hurt to try, but the prosecution is just required to make the disclosure available to you before your trial date. Not within any particular time frame after you request it.

As far as why they won’t give you a stay at this point, it’s because your rights haven’t been infringed upon yet. Until they are, you’re not entitled to any relief. When you show up at your trial with a stack of CP receipts showing you requested disclosure once a month for the last 4 months, and demonstrate that you contacted them to make sure they had received your request and just never got around to putting it together, then you might have a case for getting a stay. But even then, the JP’s have discretion to give them a second chance. Just like if you hadn’t requested disclosure and showed up in court empty handed, you’d probably get a second trial date to give you a chance to request disclosure and put on a proper defence.

In any case, a stay is rarely just “ask and receive”. You would show up in court and argue why you’re entitled to relief, and the prosecutor would be able to argue why the trial should take place.

C
Aug 28, 2018
3 posts
Hello Everyone

I want to ask a question regarding a violation which i made today, i drove in the HOV lane on QEW while coming to work in hamilton from my home in Mississauga. I have recently moved to ontario from alberta and transferred my license from G5 to G here.

I was not aware of it and my colleague at work told me in office today that its a violation. So, i checked over the web and getting concerned about it.

Can anyone let me know that once i get the violation notification, what is the best way of dealing with it? Usually, in how many days i will receive the violation information, by mail or phone?

This is my first mistake ever in Canada so i am not aware of the process, i landed here 6 months back.
Jan 12, 2019
3 posts
Thanks a lot for the explanation. Got it now, will try and see what happens.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5925 posts
1388 upvotes
???
rizwan149 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 8:03 am
Hello Everyone

I want to ask a question regarding a violation which i made today, i drove in the HOV lane on QEW while coming to work in hamilton from my home in Mississauga. I have recently moved to ontario from alberta and transferred my license from G5 to G here.

I was not aware of it and my colleague at work told me in office today that its a violation. So, i checked over the web and getting concerned about it.

Can anyone let me know that once i get the violation notification, what is the best way of dealing with it? Usually, in how many days i will receive the violation information, by mail or phone?

This is my first mistake ever in Canada so i am not aware of the process, i landed here 6 months back.
Did an officer pull you over and give you a ticket?
Aug 28, 2018
3 posts
vaportech wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 2:22 pm
Did an officer pull you over and give you a ticket?
No, no one stopped me. Is this sort of fine is by an officer and they stop car and give a ticket for such fine?

or it is through cameras / automated?

Appreciate your help in understanding this.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5925 posts
1388 upvotes
???
rizwan149 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 4:40 pm
No, no one stopped me. Is this sort of fine is by an officer and they stop car and give a ticket for such fine?

or it is through cameras / automated?

Appreciate your help in understanding this.
They stop you to give a ticket, if they didn’t then you’re good.
Oct 31, 2006
359 posts
25 upvotes
While I was passing a vehicle stopping in the middle of road and all the sudden he turned left and hit me from side without signalling(but he said he did of course). I got the ticket for unsafe lane change and he didnot. I really pissed off . My charge was dismissed today during ER meeting with the prosecutor. First I kind of fell luck but think again, I really double it. I am wondering what is the really reason behind it? Is it normal? I was determine to go to the court anyway as I told him I will not accept any deal except for dropping the case. Any comments?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9749 posts
6137 upvotes
Edmonton
qweasdzxc63 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 12:57 pm
While I was passing a vehicle stopping in the middle of road and all the sudden he turned left and hit me from side without signalling(but he said he did of course). I got the ticket for unsafe lane change and he didnot. I really pissed off . My charge was dismissed today during ER meeting with the prosecutor. First I kind of fell luck but think again, I really double it. I am wondering what is the really reason behind it? Is it normal? I was determine to go to the court anyway as I told him I will not accept any deal except for dropping the case. Any comments?
He probably dropped it because his only witness (the other driver) wasn't going to win him the case, or he didn't think the case was winnable for whatever other reason (cop shouldn't have issued a ticket in the first place). They don't want to waste their time pursuing cases that aren't going to win.

C

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)