Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9740 posts
6132 upvotes
Edmonton
Riderz1337 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 2:26 pm
So when I was pulled over and the cop said I was going 77 I told him that it doesn't seem very accurate and that I wasnt going that fast. I never told him that I was definitely speeding but not by a lot.

On the ticket itself there's no mention of him reducing my charge or lowering the speed at which I was driving to reduce the fee/avoid taking off demerit points.

My parents already know about the ticket as well I was moreso just curious if it would affect them.
Whether you admitted it to him or not isn't a factor. I was just saying that in terms of a defense in court.

If the ticket was reduced, there would be an R in a box on the ticket, I believe. If there's not, you're good on that perspective. If there is, you'd want to keep in mind that if you DID take it all the way to trial, the prosecution can ask to have the ticket amended back up to 77.

And good that your parents already know. :) There's been posts in here where children have been trying to hide things, including major tickets. I suspect (although I'm definitely not sure) that your tickets will adversely affect your parent's insurance rate. After all, you will have proven that you're a higher risk driver. You can maybe check with @COSMIC5; she's an insurance broker in this forum.

If it was me, I'd just pay it and be done, to be honest. But I'm paid by the hour at work, and no unpaid time off available (contractor). It would cost you nothing but time to request a trial and either hope the cop doesn't show up or negotiate a bit of a deal if you can with the prosecutor. Just depends on how much your time is worth.

C
Nov 21, 2015
89 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 2:38 pm
Whether you admitted it to him or not isn't a factor. I was just saying that in terms of a defense in court.

If the ticket was reduced, there would be an R in a box on the ticket, I believe. If there's not, you're good on that perspective. If there is, you'd want to keep in mind that if you DID take it all the way to trial, the prosecution can ask to have the ticket amended back up to 77.

And good that your parents already know. :) There's been posts in here where children have been trying to hide things, including major tickets. I suspect (although I'm definitely not sure) that your tickets will adversely affect your parent's insurance rate. After all, you will have proven that you're a higher risk driver. You can maybe check with @COSMIC5; she's an insurance broker in this forum.

If it was me, I'd just pay it and be done, to be honest. But I'm paid by the hour at work, and no unpaid time off available (contractor). It would cost you nothing but time to request a trial and either hope the cop doesn't show up or negotiate a bit of a deal if you can with the prosecutor. Just depends on how much your time is worth.

C
Yeah I do see an R on the ticket. There's a box that says "Code" on it and then R.

If I take it to trial I'm kind of clueless on what I would even argue lol. I'll probably speak to my parents as well and get their opinion on it.

I guess the only thing I can look forward to is maybe the cop not showing up. I'm in the Toronto area and it seems the chances of cops showing up are lower than other areas.

Thanks for your help.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9740 posts
6132 upvotes
Edmonton
Riderz1337 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 2:44 pm
Yeah I do see an R on the ticket. There's a box that says "Code" on it and then R.

If I take it to trial I'm kind of clueless on what I would even argue lol. I'll probably speak to my parents as well and get their opinion on it.

Thanks for your help.
Yeah, the R means "Reduced". So the 77 will be noted in the officer's notes, and the prosecution would have the option of requesting an amendment up to the 77 in a 50 zone. They can ONLY do that at the beginning of the trial (like, when you're standing in front of the JP) after you plead not guilty. So you can even try to negotiate with the prosecution before your trial, or check to see if the cop shows up, without fear of getting a larger fine.

Good luck!

C
Jan 16, 2019
5 posts
Ontario
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 11:04 am
You can go ahead and request a trial, and get your disclosure. At any point before the trial starts, you can chose to plead guilty and just pay the fine, so you don't have much to lose. But nothing you've said in your post indicates that you have any kind of grounds for winning, so you might just be wasting your time unless the cop made a technical error or doesn't show.

Was the ticket marked as Reduced (with an R on it)? If so, the prosecutor CAN chose to amend the ticket at the time of the trial back up to the original infraction, which in your case, would be a 27 over ticket.

As far as what impact it might have to your insurance, nobody here can answer that for you. Some insurance companies will bump your rate if they happen to pull your record and see it, others will not. Some people have "ticket forgiveness" for the first ticket in x years, some people don't. The net result is a "who knows?"

C
I checked the ticket, and beside the "Code Box" i see what appers to be an "X" but could be a poorly written "R" due to the officers sluggish handwriting..
Will that appear in the officers notes if its reduced roadside?

I don't think he used a radar gun to clock me, so i'm assuming he used a vehicle radar? Not sure of the accuracy of those radars while it's a bendy stretch of the road, and his visibility of me must have been pretty poor.
I've requested the disclosure notes as well, that should hopefully give me an idea of how he apparently "clocked me" at a speed i wasn't even travelling at.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated

S
Oct 26, 2006
151 posts
9 upvotes
Markham
hi,

wondering if someone can help me. I was given a speeding ticket on May 19, 2018. I got the Notice of Trial letter today (Jan 18, 2019) and it's scheduled for February 13, 2019. It doesn't really give me much time. I am going to go ahead to submit the Request for Disclosure Form (by mail). Should I sent by courier? Registered mail?

I am thinking I won't receive anything on time. Do I still show up on the trial date and report this?

Any input/guidance is appreciated.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
1466 posts
526 upvotes
veelo wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 10:03 am
hi,

wondering if someone can help me. I was given a speeding ticket on May 19, 2018. I got the Notice of Trial letter today (Jan 18, 2019) and it's scheduled for February 13, 2019. It doesn't really give me much time. I am going to go ahead to submit the Request for Disclosure Form (by mail). Should I sent by courier? Registered mail?

I am thinking I won't receive anything on time. Do I still show up on the trial date and report this?

Thanks
If mailing, then send by registered mail ─ courier is unnecessary but you can if you want
Yes, show up on trial date and report it
Nov 13, 2016
171 posts
107 upvotes
veelo wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 10:03 am
hi,

Thanks
You can also use a fax to send them a disclosure request. Remember to keep the confirmation receipt on file.

CD
Nov 22, 2015
6 posts
Edmonton
Can you request disclosure before the court appearance date printed on the ticket?

If so, if you have not yet received disclosure by that date, can you ask for adjournment/stay when the judge asks how you plead? It was my understanding that all you can do at a court appearance is plead guilty or not guilty and then they fine you if guilty or set a trial for a not guilty plea, but wouldn't disclosure help one decide which route they want to go?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9740 posts
6132 upvotes
Edmonton
JJBailey wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 4:54 pm
Can you request disclosure before the court appearance date printed on the ticket?

If so, if you have not yet received disclosure by that date, can you ask for adjournment/stay when the judge asks how you plead? It was my understanding that all you can do at a court appearance is plead guilty or not guilty and then they fine you if guilty or set a trial for a not guilty plea, but wouldn't disclosure help one decide which route they want to go?
Once you receive a court date, typically you'd request disclosure so you could review it prior to your trial. There's not much point to going to trial just to plead guilty, unless you're going to try the "guilty with explanation". Disclosure would indeed help you decide whether to plead guilty or not in advance. And it's your right to receive disclosure to allow you an opportunity to put together a defense.

C
Mar 23, 2005
436 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
I got a traffic ticket on King Street for neglecting to turn on the King Street Pilot Project. It was late at night, and I assumed the rules weren't in effect as I was following a cab. I was wrong and got slapped with the offence "PROCEED CONTRARY TO SIGN AT INTERSECTION". I checked later, and it had a "NEW" logo on it indicating it's a new sign.

My question is the following:

Can I request a language interpreter for going into trial? The reason I ask is because the ticket for option 3 says:

"I intend to appear in court to plead not guilty and to have an english language trial"

I just want to confirm if my interpretation of this means it will be an english trial with an interpreter in my mother tongue if I choose to get one

Also, if anyone has any ideas or strategies on how I can fight this ticket, it would be much appreciated.
Nov 4, 2018
4 posts
I received the following Notice of Trial Date. However, the date is incorrect (March 13 is not a Thursday, it's a Wednesday). Is that any grounds for dismissal or whatever? Just wondering before I send on my disclosure request.

Jan 21, 2019
2 posts
Hi Shrek,

I was driving at a off ramp when I got pulled over. I didn't know I was getting pulled over because the cars around me was driving just as fast if not faster.
The officer caught me on foot.

It is extremely detailed. But I truly felt that I did not speed, and definitely not by 27km.
I was the brightly colored vehicle and I think that was why I was stopped instead of my neighbors that were going much faster.

When I got stopped I told him I don't believe I was speeding and that I thought he was stopping the other car when he stepped onto the road.
He simply said you can take it to court.

There is no DVD, Audio. But a very detailed description of the testing of the radar, and the placement of the signage. The only thing I can fight is the real fact that I was not speeding, the other cars were going faster, and that I was pulled over because the other guys didn't stop.
It is also my first ever offence. What are my chances? Slim to none? But I really didn't speed. It's not so much the ticket but the principle. Is there anything you recommend?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!! TRULY APPRECIATE IT!!!

The officer came to court and I got disclosure:
-----------------------------------------------
0655 hrs Laser test atTSV
ultralyte LTI 20-20 ser#9209
-5 tests:
1) display test
2-3) scope alignment(vertical and horizontal)
4-5) mixed distance (55m and 61m)
working properly
1135 hrs check signs, EB off ramp to ParkLawnRd. There are 3 signs W of my location that indicate 70KM/hr zone. The frst 2 signs approx. 700m w of my locaton, each on both side of the road, 70KM/h ahead, rectangular in shape, wht background, blk border, blk arrow on the top pointing up and 70 below. The third sign, approx. 500m w of my location, rectangular in shape, wht background, blk border, maximum in blk letter on the top,70 letters on blk background. All sign properly and clearly erected. I had clear and unobstructed view of EB traffic.I was on foo, just w of Grand Ave bridge.
1137hr enforcement started, on foot
clear, sunny, dry

-stopped mv, 97km/h in a 70km/h zone at 228.5m
-showed the speed
-1 occupant
- 3 docs, satisf with her ID
-12 Fiat 500 red conv
-the Fiat was in L2 approaching fast to another mv L1. The fastest on the road.

Ticket details:
Offence time 12:46
EB Fred Gardiner Exwy off amp to park lawn road
Charge:128
speeding 97 km/h in a 70km/h zone

CVOR:N
Motor Vehicle Involved: Y
Collision Involved: N
Witness: N,
Memo book Notes w/ Evidence: N
In-carVideo of Offence: N
Converstatio Audio Only: N
Related Ticket #'s:

-------------------------------------------------------
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
1466 posts
526 upvotes
thechalkoutline wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 3:17 pm
I received the following Notice of Trial Date. However, the date is incorrect (March 13 is not a Thursday, it's a Wednesday). Is that any grounds for dismissal or whatever? Just wondering before I send on my disclosure request.

[img]
It's not grounds for dismissal but it is kind of similar to my situation which I posted about recently
I'd probably go on Thursday and, if trial was Wednesday the 13th and you got a default conviction for not appearing, show the court the letter and get them to re-open it; the delay wouldn't be on you and would work towards an 11b (right to be tried within a reasonable time) stay
Let us know what happens with this
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9740 posts
6132 upvotes
Edmonton
Smilingly wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2019 9:17 pm
Hi Shrek,

I was driving at a off ramp when I got pulled over. I didn't know I was getting pulled over because the cars around me was driving just as fast if not faster.
The officer caught me on foot.

It is extremely detailed. But I truly felt that I did not speed, and definitely not by 27km.
I was the brightly colored vehicle and I think that was why I was stopped instead of my neighbors that were going much faster.

When I got stopped I told him I don't believe I was speeding and that I thought he was stopping the other car when he stepped onto the road.
He simply said you can take it to court.

There is no DVD, Audio. But a very detailed description of the testing of the radar, and the placement of the signage. The only thing I can fight is the real fact that I was not speeding, the other cars were going faster, and that I was pulled over because the other guys didn't stop.
It is also my first ever offence. What are my chances? Slim to none? But I really didn't speed. It's not so much the ticket but the principle. Is there anything you recommend?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!! TRULY APPRECIATE IT!!!

The officer came to court and I got disclosure:
-----------------------------------------------
0655 hrs Laser test atTSV
ultralyte LTI 20-20 ser#9209
-5 tests:
1) display test
2-3) scope alignment(vertical and horizontal)
4-5) mixed distance (55m and 61m)
working properly
1135 hrs check signs, EB off ramp to ParkLawnRd. There are 3 signs W of my location that indicate 70KM/hr zone. The frst 2 signs approx. 700m w of my locaton, each on both side of the road, 70KM/h ahead, rectangular in shape, wht background, blk border, blk arrow on the top pointing up and 70 below. The third sign, approx. 500m w of my location, rectangular in shape, wht background, blk border, maximum in blk letter on the top,70 letters on blk background. All sign properly and clearly erected. I had clear and unobstructed view of EB traffic.I was on foo, just w of Grand Ave bridge.
1137hr enforcement started, on foot
clear, sunny, dry

-stopped mv, 97km/h in a 70km/h zone at 228.5m
-showed the speed
-1 occupant
- 3 docs, satisf with her ID
-12 Fiat 500 red conv
-the Fiat was in L2 approaching fast to another mv L1. The fastest on the road.

Ticket details:
Offence time 12:46
EB Fred Gardiner Exwy off amp to park lawn road
Charge:128
speeding 97 km/h in a 70km/h zone

CVOR:N
Motor Vehicle Involved: Y
Collision Involved: N
Witness: N,
Memo book Notes w/ Evidence: N
In-carVideo of Offence: N
Converstatio Audio Only: N
Related Ticket #'s:

-------------------------------------------------------
The officer’s going to testify that you were the vehicle speeding, and unless you can discredit his testimony, that’s all that’s required to convict you. Nothing in the disclosure looks like it’s going to help you.

C
Jan 16, 2019
5 posts
Ontario
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 11:04 am
You can go ahead and request a trial, and get your disclosure. At any point before the trial starts, you can chose to plead guilty and just pay the fine, so you don't have much to lose. But nothing you've said in your post indicates that you have any kind of grounds for winning, so you might just be wasting your time unless the cop made a technical error or doesn't show.

Was the ticket marked as Reduced (with an R on it)? If so, the prosecutor CAN chose to amend the ticket at the time of the trial back up to the original infraction, which in your case, would be a 27 over ticket.

As far as what impact it might have to your insurance, nobody here can answer that for you. Some insurance companies will bump your rate if they happen to pull your record and see it, others will not. Some people have "ticket forgiveness" for the first ticket in x years, some people don't. The net result is a "who knows?"

C
So i received my court date letter by email.
They spelled my first name incorrectly on the letter, so am i able to do anything about that?

Thread Information

There are currently 10 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 9 guests)

bigpropy