Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1136 posts
446 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:19 pm
If you plead guilty, you get the demerits attached to the infraction. What else do you need to confirm? And why concerned about the demerits? Unless you’ve had enough other demerits to suspend your license, it’s a non-issue.

C
I thought infractions where you get demerit points would increase insurance premiums (whereas infractions without demerits do not get attention from insurance company)
Jan 16, 2019
3 posts
Ontario
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on a speeding ticket for 95km/h in a 80 km/h zone on Hwy 10 Northbound to Owen Sound.

The officer was parked on the southbound opposite lanes in the shoulder, and i had passed a slow moving vehicle going 70 km/h, because of a group of cars tailgating me.
This was during a windy/bendy stretch of the road. When i passed the cruiser i was going 90 and he pulled a U-turn to pull me over after about 500 metres of following me going 80-90 kmh.
He claimed i was going over 100km/h( apparently ~107km/h) but theres no way.

Is there anything i can do to fight this in court. If i were to just plead guilty and pay the ticket(52$ fine no demerits) what impact would it have to my insurance cost. I havent had any tickets in over 5 years

Any help would be greatly appreciated
S
Dec 12, 2017
30 posts
Quebec
Not a traffic ticket as such but am wondering if it's the same process:
I received a bill from the city to pay for a callout of the fire department for a false smoke alarm. The thing is is that it was actually triggered by smoke from workmen doing work on the flooring. I thought that if there was smoke then it wasn't considered false no matter the reason. The fine doesn't even offer a way to appeal, which seems illegal. Does anyone ever appeal these fines?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7970 posts
4715 upvotes
Edmonton
hierophant wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:25 pm
I thought infractions where you get demerit points would increase insurance premiums (whereas infractions without demerits do not get attention from insurance company)
You should go over the "Demerit Points Do Not Affect Insurance!!!" thread...
demerit-points-do-not-affect-insurance-791274/

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7970 posts
4715 upvotes
Edmonton
smrs0106 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 10:58 pm
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on a speeding ticket for 95km/h in a 80 km/h zone on Hwy 10 Northbound to Owen Sound.

The officer was parked on the southbound opposite lanes in the shoulder, and i had passed a slow moving vehicle going 70 km/h, because of a group of cars tailgating me.
This was during a windy/bendy stretch of the road. When i passed the cruiser i was going 90 and he pulled a U-turn to pull me over after about 500 metres of following me going 80-90 kmh.
He claimed i was going over 100km/h( apparently ~107km/h) but theres no way.

Is there anything i can do to fight this in court. If i were to just plead guilty and pay the ticket(52$ fine no demerits) what impact would it have to my insurance cost. I havent had any tickets in over 5 years

Any help would be greatly appreciated
S
You can go ahead and request a trial, and get your disclosure. At any point before the trial starts, you can chose to plead guilty and just pay the fine, so you don't have much to lose. But nothing you've said in your post indicates that you have any kind of grounds for winning, so you might just be wasting your time unless the cop made a technical error or doesn't show.

Was the ticket marked as Reduced (with an R on it)? If so, the prosecutor CAN chose to amend the ticket at the time of the trial back up to the original infraction, which in your case, would be a 27 over ticket.

As far as what impact it might have to your insurance, nobody here can answer that for you. Some insurance companies will bump your rate if they happen to pull your record and see it, others will not. Some people have "ticket forgiveness" for the first ticket in x years, some people don't. The net result is a "who knows?"

C
Nov 21, 2015
78 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Got a speeding ticket recently. Cop claims I was going 77 in a 50. He showed me the speed detector thing showing a 77. I was definitely speeding but 77 seems way more than what I was actually doing.

He ended up dropping it to a 65 in a 50 so that I don't lose ant demerit points and only pay a 95$ fine. I've never been pulled over before or had to do anything like this. Is it worth fighting over it?

The car is insured under my parents name and I'm not on their insurance. Cop didn't really mention it/didn't care but does anyone know if this will effect my parents insurance monthly payment in any way or just mine when I do eventually get my own insurance?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7970 posts
4715 upvotes
Edmonton
Riderz1337 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 1:37 pm
Got a speeding ticket recently. Cop claims I was going 77 in a 50. He showed me the speed detector thing showing a 77. I was definitely speeding but 77 seems way more than what I was actually doing.

He ended up dropping it to a 65 in a 50 so that I don't lose ant demerit points and only pay a 95$ fine. I've never been pulled over before or had to do anything like this. Is it worth fighting over it?

The car is insured under my parents name and I'm not on their insurance. Cop didn't really mention it/didn't care but does anyone know if this will effect my parents insurance monthly payment in any way or just mine when I do eventually get my own insurance?
It might be worth fighting for if you had a case, but you don't. If he testifies that your speed was 77, your claim that you were speeding but not going 77 won't cut it. So your only real hope is that the cop doesn't show up. Whether it's worth going to court depends on how much you value your time. You could try to get it further reduced, but it's unlikely, especially if the cop noted on the ticket that it's reduced already.

As far as the insurance goes, I don't know. Insurance and tickets are funny things. You might want to let them know about it before they get surprised, though... It won't happen until after you're convicted or plead guilty by paying the fine.

C
Nov 21, 2015
78 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 2:17 pm
It might be worth fighting for if you had a case, but you don't. If he testifies that your speed was 77, your claim that you were speeding but not going 77 won't cut it. So your only real hope is that the cop doesn't show up. Whether it's worth going to court depends on how much you value your time. You could try to get it further reduced, but it's unlikely, especially if the cop noted on the ticket that it's reduced already.

As far as the insurance goes, I don't know. Insurance and tickets are funny things. You might want to let them know about it before they get surprised, though... It won't happen until after you're convicted or plead guilty by paying the fine.

C
So when I was pulled over and the cop said I was going 77 I told him that it doesn't seem very accurate and that I wasnt going that fast. I never told him that I was definitely speeding but not by a lot.

On the ticket itself there's no mention of him reducing my charge or lowering the speed at which I was driving to reduce the fee/avoid taking off demerit points.

My parents already know about the ticket as well I was moreso just curious if it would affect them.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7970 posts
4715 upvotes
Edmonton
Riderz1337 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 2:26 pm
So when I was pulled over and the cop said I was going 77 I told him that it doesn't seem very accurate and that I wasnt going that fast. I never told him that I was definitely speeding but not by a lot.

On the ticket itself there's no mention of him reducing my charge or lowering the speed at which I was driving to reduce the fee/avoid taking off demerit points.

My parents already know about the ticket as well I was moreso just curious if it would affect them.
Whether you admitted it to him or not isn't a factor. I was just saying that in terms of a defense in court.

If the ticket was reduced, there would be an R in a box on the ticket, I believe. If there's not, you're good on that perspective. If there is, you'd want to keep in mind that if you DID take it all the way to trial, the prosecution can ask to have the ticket amended back up to 77.

And good that your parents already know. :) There's been posts in here where children have been trying to hide things, including major tickets. I suspect (although I'm definitely not sure) that your tickets will adversely affect your parent's insurance rate. After all, you will have proven that you're a higher risk driver. You can maybe check with @COSMIC5; she's an insurance broker in this forum.

If it was me, I'd just pay it and be done, to be honest. But I'm paid by the hour at work, and no unpaid time off available (contractor). It would cost you nothing but time to request a trial and either hope the cop doesn't show up or negotiate a bit of a deal if you can with the prosecutor. Just depends on how much your time is worth.

C
Nov 21, 2015
78 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 2:38 pm
Whether you admitted it to him or not isn't a factor. I was just saying that in terms of a defense in court.

If the ticket was reduced, there would be an R in a box on the ticket, I believe. If there's not, you're good on that perspective. If there is, you'd want to keep in mind that if you DID take it all the way to trial, the prosecution can ask to have the ticket amended back up to 77.

And good that your parents already know. :) There's been posts in here where children have been trying to hide things, including major tickets. I suspect (although I'm definitely not sure) that your tickets will adversely affect your parent's insurance rate. After all, you will have proven that you're a higher risk driver. You can maybe check with @COSMIC5; she's an insurance broker in this forum.

If it was me, I'd just pay it and be done, to be honest. But I'm paid by the hour at work, and no unpaid time off available (contractor). It would cost you nothing but time to request a trial and either hope the cop doesn't show up or negotiate a bit of a deal if you can with the prosecutor. Just depends on how much your time is worth.

C
Yeah I do see an R on the ticket. There's a box that says "Code" on it and then R.

If I take it to trial I'm kind of clueless on what I would even argue lol. I'll probably speak to my parents as well and get their opinion on it.

I guess the only thing I can look forward to is maybe the cop not showing up. I'm in the Toronto area and it seems the chances of cops showing up are lower than other areas.

Thanks for your help.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7970 posts
4715 upvotes
Edmonton
Riderz1337 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 2:44 pm
Yeah I do see an R on the ticket. There's a box that says "Code" on it and then R.

If I take it to trial I'm kind of clueless on what I would even argue lol. I'll probably speak to my parents as well and get their opinion on it.

Thanks for your help.
Yeah, the R means "Reduced". So the 77 will be noted in the officer's notes, and the prosecution would have the option of requesting an amendment up to the 77 in a 50 zone. They can ONLY do that at the beginning of the trial (like, when you're standing in front of the JP) after you plead not guilty. So you can even try to negotiate with the prosecution before your trial, or check to see if the cop shows up, without fear of getting a larger fine.

Good luck!

C
Jan 16, 2019
3 posts
Ontario
CNeufeld wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 11:04 am
You can go ahead and request a trial, and get your disclosure. At any point before the trial starts, you can chose to plead guilty and just pay the fine, so you don't have much to lose. But nothing you've said in your post indicates that you have any kind of grounds for winning, so you might just be wasting your time unless the cop made a technical error or doesn't show.

Was the ticket marked as Reduced (with an R on it)? If so, the prosecutor CAN chose to amend the ticket at the time of the trial back up to the original infraction, which in your case, would be a 27 over ticket.

As far as what impact it might have to your insurance, nobody here can answer that for you. Some insurance companies will bump your rate if they happen to pull your record and see it, others will not. Some people have "ticket forgiveness" for the first ticket in x years, some people don't. The net result is a "who knows?"

C
I checked the ticket, and beside the "Code Box" i see what appers to be an "X" but could be a poorly written "R" due to the officers sluggish handwriting..
Will that appear in the officers notes if its reduced roadside?

I don't think he used a radar gun to clock me, so i'm assuming he used a vehicle radar? Not sure of the accuracy of those radars while it's a bendy stretch of the road, and his visibility of me must have been pretty poor.
I've requested the disclosure notes as well, that should hopefully give me an idea of how he apparently "clocked me" at a speed i wasn't even travelling at.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated

S
Oct 26, 2006
146 posts
6 upvotes
Markham
hi,

wondering if someone can help me. I was given a speeding ticket on May 19, 2018. I got the Notice of Trial letter today (Jan 18, 2019) and it's scheduled for February 13, 2019. It doesn't really give me much time. I am going to go ahead to submit the Request for Disclosure Form (by mail). Should I sent by courier? Registered mail?

I am thinking I won't receive anything on time. Do I still show up on the trial date and report this?

Any input/guidance is appreciated.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
1294 posts
393 upvotes
veelo wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 10:03 am
hi,

wondering if someone can help me. I was given a speeding ticket on May 19, 2018. I got the Notice of Trial letter today (Jan 18, 2019) and it's scheduled for February 13, 2019. It doesn't really give me much time. I am going to go ahead to submit the Request for Disclosure Form (by mail). Should I sent by courier? Registered mail?

I am thinking I won't receive anything on time. Do I still show up on the trial date and report this?

Thanks
If mailing, then send by registered mail ─ courier is unnecessary but you can if you want
Yes, show up on trial date and report it
Nov 13, 2016
119 posts
69 upvotes
veelo wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 10:03 am
hi,

Thanks
You can also use a fax to send them a disclosure request. Remember to keep the confirmation receipt on file.

CD