Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Nov 2, 2011
72 posts
28 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
My turn to ask for help.

Here is my scenario:
Last summer, we were coming home from the cottage @ around 9:30pm (it was pitch black). I was following a car that was driving "irratically", doing 70km/h at times, and 90km/h at times. There was another car behind him, so I didn't bother passing them. When we came to a point where there was a passing lane open, I decided to speed up and pass both vehicles in one shot.....after passing them, i came back to the right lane and began to slow down. It was precisely at this moment, a cop flashed his lights and pulled me over. When he approached me, he said he clocked me doing 115km/h while passing them BUT!!!! he also clocked me at 128km/h in an 80 zone some 10 kilometers back!!! I denied it immediately, knowing i had set me cruise control on at a MUCH lower speed! Needless to say, he said, at that speed, he wasn't going to show any discretion and gave me a ticket for 48km/h over the posted speed limit.

Disclosure:
I asked for disclosure via registered mail as suggested, and the reply I got back in email included the hand written copy of the notes, a copy of the ticket again and the user's manual of the radar used. What I didn't get is the typed version of the notes. I can barely make out what he wrote, so they are literally of no use to me.

Question:
My court date is April 9th in Lindsay, what should I do? Should I send another registered mail asking for the typed notes? Should I not bother? Does the radar take a picture of the vehicle when it clocks them speeding? Literally, it was pitch black and there are about a dozen intersections where cars and come in and out of Hwy 48. It literally is 10km from where he alleged me speeding and where he actually saw me speeding while passing them. I was probably down to 105 with my foot off both pedals and waiting for the car to slow down to a reasonable speed. What should I do? I'm nervous!!

Thanks in advance!
Mar 3, 2018
47 posts
34 upvotes
Drove my mother’s second vehicle and was pulled over for expired plates even though the plates had a black OCT19 sticker

My theory was that my mother may have put one of the two stickers on each of the vehicle.

Officer then suggested I get everything fixed up then plead “not guilty” after I get a new sticker.

Does his suggestion mean to fight it or do an early resolution?

What are your thoughts?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2596 posts
2606 upvotes
Vancouver
You don't get two plate stickers.

Why did you get a ticket if the plate sticker is valid?

Maybe the plate sticker number doesn't match the corresponding sticker on the ownership. Maybe she never put the corresponding sticker in the ownership. Maybe she put the sticker(s) on the wrong car/ownership?
Last edited by derass on Mar 20th, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1798 posts
1122 upvotes
Do you actually have current stickers? Could it be a matter of a mix up with the permit stickers?
Dec 28, 2010
351 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Great thread here.
Have a court date for Parking Penalty in Mississauga courthouse @950 Burnhamthorpe. Anyone have first hand experience for getting a reduced fine? Hows the process? Will i need to sit in the court proceedings ?
In short, went to drop a pkg at condo reception and a friendly officer hands me a ticket as I came back - doesn't want to make eye contact and just walks. 5 cars parked behind me speed away one by one ;)
Anyways, I am free on the day of trial and understand my mistake. So any hope for a quick visit and reduction in fine at Mississauga court ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9841 posts
6197 upvotes
Edmonton
aPencil wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 4:14 pm
Drove my mother’s second vehicle and was pulled over for expired plates even though the plates had a black OCT19 sticker

My theory was that my mother may have put one of the two stickers on each of the vehicle.

Officer then suggested I get everything fixed up then plead “not guilty” after I get a new sticker.

Does his suggestion mean to fight it or do an early resolution?

What are your thoughts?
Regardless of fighting/not fighting the ticket, you need to fix the problem, which is to the proper stickers on the proper plates.

Then personally, I'd probably do the early resolution to demonstrate to the prosecutor that I'd fixed the issue, and ask for the charges to be withdrawn. Early resolution IS still fighting it; it's merely choosing to meet with the prosecutor in advance of the trial date to work it out. Rather than trying to work out a deal on the morning of the trial.

And this belongs in the great big ticket thread... It's not such a special case to deserve it's own thread. IMHO.

C
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9134 posts
5430 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
derass wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 4:27 pm
Maybe the plate sticker number doesn't match the corresponding sticker on the ownership. Maybe she never put the corresponding sticker in the ownership. Maybe she put the sticker(s) on the wrong car/ownership?
This is what I'm kind of thinking. OP mentions it's his mother's 2nd car, so if she has two cars, it's reasonable to assume she owns both cars & she got confused and renewed the plates for the other car but then put the sticker on this one.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2596 posts
2606 upvotes
Vancouver
I suppose even if the stickers on the plate and ownership match (albeit being on the wrong vehicle), the sticker number is assigned to the VIN number through the Service Ontario system, which perhaps the office can see.

Makes me wonder though, if the sticker is valid, why was OP even stopped? I doubt the officer ran that 10 digit, 12pt font number from 20 feet back.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1656 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto
If the OP's mom owns both cars then both cars would need to be renewed at the same time.

Does the other car have a sticker that says OCT19? It should.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3516 posts
2743 upvotes
Oakville, ON
derass wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 4:51 pm
I suppose even if the stickers on the plate and ownership match (albeit being on the wrong vehicle), the sticker number is assigned to the VIN number through the Service Ontario system, which perhaps the office can see.

Makes me wonder though, if the sticker is valid, why was OP even stopped? I doubt the officer ran that 10 digit, 12pt font number from 20 feet back.
My guess is that mom only renewed one vehicle and put the sticker on the wrong plate. If the cop’s car had a scanner he doesn’t even look at the colour or month anymore - he just waits for a hit to be registered then investigates once alerted. The scanner read the plate and alerted that the plate is expired.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9841 posts
6197 upvotes
Edmonton
Coolredrose wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 7:29 pm
Hello!

I was in an accident in February that I slid on the Ivey road condition and rear ended the car in front of me on the intersection. I was driving within limit and I tried to stop but it’s too icy so my car slowly skidded forward and contacted the car in front of me. There were 2 more cars in front of the rear ended car but they didn’t get affected as the car I rear ended didn’t move at all. The police officer came later and gave me a ticket of “driving in unreasonable speed for road conditions.” Could you please help with my defense points for the trial? Thanks a million!!
You don't give a location or an actual traffic act number... But by definition, you were driving too fast for the conditions, because you hit a car that was stopped (from the sounds of things). The other drivers managed to stop without playing bumper cars, right?

So you can go to court, and try to negotiate a deal, but if the officer is there, you'll likely get a conviction for something. For the most part, insurance doesn't care what your conviction is for, so the only savings you'll get is a reduction in fine amount (if any). So it's up to you whether you want to fight it, or just pay and save your time.

Your other option is to go to the trial and hope the cop doesn't show, and the prosecution withdraws the charge. The officers do get paid to attend, though...

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9841 posts
6197 upvotes
Edmonton
aywakko wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 2:59 pm
My turn to ask for help.

Here is my scenario:
Last summer, we were coming home from the cottage @ around 9:30pm (it was pitch black). I was following a car that was driving "irratically", doing 70km/h at times, and 90km/h at times. There was another car behind him, so I didn't bother passing them. When we came to a point where there was a passing lane open, I decided to speed up and pass both vehicles in one shot.....after passing them, i came back to the right lane and began to slow down. It was precisely at this moment, a cop flashed his lights and pulled me over. When he approached me, he said he clocked me doing 115km/h while passing them BUT!!!! he also clocked me at 128km/h in an 80 zone some 10 kilometers back!!! I denied it immediately, knowing i had set me cruise control on at a MUCH lower speed! Needless to say, he said, at that speed, he wasn't going to show any discretion and gave me a ticket for 48km/h over the posted speed limit.

Disclosure:
I asked for disclosure via registered mail as suggested, and the reply I got back in email included the hand written copy of the notes, a copy of the ticket again and the user's manual of the radar used. What I didn't get is the typed version of the notes. I can barely make out what he wrote, so they are literally of no use to me.

Question:
My court date is April 9th in Lindsay, what should I do? Should I send another registered mail asking for the typed notes? Should I not bother? Does the radar take a picture of the vehicle when it clocks them speeding? Literally, it was pitch black and there are about a dozen intersections where cars and come in and out of Hwy 48. It literally is 10km from where he alleged me speeding and where he actually saw me speeding while passing them. I was probably down to 105 with my foot off both pedals and waiting for the car to slow down to a reasonable speed. What should I do? I'm nervous!!

Thanks in advance!
Without seeing what the disclosure says, it's hard to give any meaningful advise. So you can either attempt to get typed disclosure notes in advance, or show up at the trial and claim you couldn't read the officer's notes. You may be given some time with the officer to go over his notes and then an opportunity for trial, or you may be just given another trial date with a promise that you'll get the typed notes before then. Either way, it may mean another trial date.

If/when you do attend trial, I'd probably base my defense on his ability to follow you at a distance for 10 km on a dark road. How could he verify it was YOU he saw doing 128 back then, and that you were the same driver that he pulled over. He never once lost sight of you through the entire 10km? Did he take down your plate number back then? But that's based on what you've said... You need to look at his notes.

C
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11783 posts
2720 upvotes
Montréal
CanadianLurker wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 5:02 pm
My guess is that mom only renewed one vehicle and put the sticker on the wrong plate. If the cop’s car had a scanner he doesn’t even look at the colour or month anymore - he just waits for a hit to be registered then investigates once alerted. The scanner read the plate and alerted that the plate is expired.
Whoa, they're that high-tech now? Learned something today.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Mar 3, 2018
47 posts
34 upvotes
derass wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 4:51 pm

It was the oddest thing ever, I was actually driving towards the officer waiting to turn left at an intersection and he did a U-Turn immediately rather than turn left.

I am the only that purchases the stickers for our family's vehicles and I found no payment confirmation for the vehicle I was driving which is why I had thought she may have put a sticker on each of her vehicles. But now I know it only comes with one. I will need to check to see what sticker is currently on the first vehicle once it is back home.

I attempted to do a mock purchase of stickers for the 1st car and it told me it is too early to purchase new stickers, but as for the second car, I am able to purchase it.

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)