Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Mar 3, 2018
47 posts
34 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 5:11 pm
Whoa, they're that high-tech now? Learned something today.
Take a look at the first part of my last post.
This police vehicle had two scanners on the front.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3534 posts
2795 upvotes
Oakville, ON
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 5:11 pm
Whoa, they're that high-tech now? Learned something today.
Yep! This is a story from Waterloo in 2017. Even more widespread use since then. They basically scan everything coming/going/parked as they drive around on their shift and the system tells them when there’s an issue....

Police to use automated system to scan licence plates
NEWS Oct 04, 2017 by Adam Jackson Waterloo Chronicle

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-s ... ce-plates/

The vehicle, which has four cameras mounted near the light bar on the roof, can scan between 3,000 and 5,000 plates per shift. An Ontario Provincial Police-curated “hot list” is automatically uploaded and if the licence plate comes back as hot (i.e. stolen, does not have insurance or driver has a suspended licence), it will alert the officer.

The traffic officer will double-check that it is the correct vehicle, then conduct a traffic stop.
Mar 3, 2018
47 posts
34 upvotes
Okay so I have both vehicles plates now, and they both have OCT19 with two different permit numbers, so maybe the police officer made complete mistake or my mother switched the stickers.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2647 posts
2652 upvotes
Vancouver
Now check if the number on each plate sticker, matches the number on the sticker on each ownership.

But there's still the chance the stickers were mixed up between the two cars. I think only Service Ontario could check that if you brought both ownerships to them.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9904 posts
6232 upvotes
Edmonton
aPencil wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 5:23 pm
Okay so I have both vehicles plates now, and they both have OCT19 with two different permit numbers, so maybe the police officer made complete mistake or my mother switched the stickers.
Not sure of how things work out there. But to me, it sounds like you did the registration for the plates for car A, but put the stickers on the plates for car B. For example, if I pay the registration for my vehicle, but put the sticker on my GF's vehicle instead. That doesn't make her vehicle magically registered, just because she's got a valid sticker on it. If the police scan her plate number, they will see it's not up to date with regards to registration, and she'll get a ticket. And I'll get a ticket because I won't have a sticker on my plate.

I don't know which one is the first car or second car in your example. If you mean you tried to register her primary car (NOT the one you were driving) and it told you it was too early, but you were able to register her secondary car (the one you WERE driving), then that would make sense as far as my scenario goes. Someone registered one car, but put the sticker on the other car.

C
Oct 24, 2016
593 posts
421 upvotes
ON
^ But the OP has two different stickers. And you get only one sticker on renewal. Does that mean that both plates have a valid sticker but somehow got interchanged?

But how come the police scanner picked up the plate?
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14348 posts
3681 upvotes
London
Holystone wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 6:22 pm
^ But the OP has two different stickers. And you get only one sticker on renewal. Does that mean that both plates have a valid sticker but somehow got interchanged?

Sounds like the scanner is screwy unless it’s a peeling plate and got misread? I had that problem at the US border. My plate has a rusty spot and would be misread on their plate reader. I had to get new plates
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9904 posts
6232 upvotes
Edmonton
Holystone wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 6:22 pm

Likely he’ll learn more when he requests disclosure. It should cover what was checked. But the fact that he could “mock register” the secondary car but not the first would imply that the secondary car wasn’t registered. Maybe there’s a third car involved somewhere...

C
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10739 posts
1712 upvotes
Toronto
The sticker is irrelevant if it got mixed up as the status of the platess should be valid for both. The cop is scanning the plate number and if it was renewed. As long as there is a sticker associated with It, the scanner should pick it up as not expired. OP needs to visit the 'DMV' and check what they have on their computer.

I got a ticket for expired plate 2 days after my birthday once. Scheduled for early resolution. But when the prosecutor appointment came, I couldn't go. Just said to myself I would just pay the fine when it came in the mail. But it never came and didn't have any record of any sort of outstanding fine. Maybe they just checked again even though I didn't show up.
Jan 11, 2019
5 posts
Good day guys, I really need some help with my situation...

I was stopping at a red light, waiting to make a left turn ( 1 lane road on each direction).... once the lights turned green the driver of the first car on the opposite direction, waived for me to go ahead and make my turn...so I did. A cop was 3 or 4 cars behind him, followed me and issued 2 tickets... improper turn and dark tint on windows (the tint is over 6 years old, and I never had a cop pull me over or warn me about it) . I am planning to go to court and fight both tickets, any advice?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18789 posts
3409 upvotes
GTA West
Hello,
I requested a trial and received the Notice of Trial in the mail really quickly (under 2 weeks). The trial date is nowhere near the 11b time limit.
But there is nothing on this paper with the prosecutor mailing address, so I don't know where to send my request for disclosure.
It's for Hamilton court.
The only address on this, aside from my address, is the address of the courthouse with the trial location.

So how do I know where to send the request for disclosure??
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9904 posts
6232 upvotes
Edmonton
juventino23 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 7:52 pm
Good day guys, I really need some help with my situation...

I was stopping at a red light, waiting to make a left turn ( 1 lane road on each direction).... once the lights turned green the driver of the first car on the opposite direction, waived for me to go ahead and make my turn...so I did. A cop was 3 or 4 cars behind him, followed me and issued 2 tickets... improper turn and dark tint on windows (the tint is over 6 years old, and I never had a cop pull me over or warn me about it) . I am planning to go to court and fight both tickets, any advice?
Get your disclosure, and go from there. Consider getting your windows tested so you know what their light transmission level is. You might want to check the exact wording of the section of the HTA is for both tickets. The “letter of the law” can make a big difference.

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9904 posts
6232 upvotes
Edmonton
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 8:19 pm
Hello,
I requested a trial and received the Notice of Trial in the mail really quickly (under 2 weeks). The trial date is nowhere near the 11b time limit.
But there is nothing on this paper with the prosecutor mailing address, so I don't know where to send my request for disclosure.
It's for Hamilton court.
The only address on this, aside from my address, is the address of the courthouse with the trial location.

So how do I know where to send the request for disclosure??
Try calling the courthouse?

ETA: Or I googled “Ontario Hamilton disclosure request”, and turned up this:
http://www2.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/C7 ... equest.pdf

Which has a handy mailing address, phone number, and fax number...

C
Mar 18, 2019
3 posts
Thanks a lot for your reply! I was at the intersection of Country Hills Blvd and Hamptons Blvd. The code is 2 (1) (a) of Use of Highway & Rules of the Road Reg.
I have booked the trial day on May 31 and hope the officer doesn’t show up or the prosecutor doesn’t send me the evidence disclosure as requested.
A couple more questions:
1.Do I call the traffic court to ask for information of the prosecutor office?
2.Any suggestions for my defense testimony please?
Here are the points I drafted:
1) My first name on the ticket is incomplete.
2) The accident happened on Feb 19th when it as snowy and icy.
3) The police officer was not on site when the accident happened.
4) I changed brand new winter tires the next day the accident happened to prevent future accidents.
Thanks in advance for your kind help!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9904 posts
6232 upvotes
Edmonton
Coolredrose wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 9:11 pm
Thanks a lot for your reply! I was at the intersection of Country Hills Blvd and Hamptons Blvd. The code is 2 (1) (a) of Use of Highway & Rules of the Road Reg.
I have booked the trial day on May 31 and hope the officer doesn’t show up or the prosecutor doesn’t send me the evidence disclosure as requested.
A couple more questions:
1.Do I call the traffic court to ask for information of the prosecutor office?
2.Any suggestions for my defense testimony please?
Here are the points I drafted:
1) My first name on the ticket is incomplete.
2) The accident happened on Feb 19th when it as snowy and icy.
3) The police officer was not on site when the accident happened.
4) I changed brand new winter tires the next day the accident happened to prevent future accidents.
Thanks in advance for your kind help!
What's important is what province you're in... Not the street address. But I recognize those streets, so here we go.

1) Your first name doesn't matter.
2) The road conditions ARE the issue. You should have been driving slower.
3) The officer not being there likely won't be an issue. He can testify with his expert opinion of what happened.
4) Changing the tires after the accident may get you some slack cut, but it will depend on the mood of the prosecutor.

From what you've said, you ARE guilty of what you've been charged with. You can plead guilty and just pay the fine, try to work out a deal, or hope for an officer no-show. You don't have much of a defense, from what you've said, so going to trial won't help you much, IMHO.

C