Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8448 posts
5072 upvotes
Edmonton
aywakko wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 2:59 pm
My turn to ask for help.

Here is my scenario:
Last summer, we were coming home from the cottage @ around 9:30pm (it was pitch black). I was following a car that was driving "irratically", doing 70km/h at times, and 90km/h at times. There was another car behind him, so I didn't bother passing them. When we came to a point where there was a passing lane open, I decided to speed up and pass both vehicles in one shot.....after passing them, i came back to the right lane and began to slow down. It was precisely at this moment, a cop flashed his lights and pulled me over. When he approached me, he said he clocked me doing 115km/h while passing them BUT!!!! he also clocked me at 128km/h in an 80 zone some 10 kilometers back!!! I denied it immediately, knowing i had set me cruise control on at a MUCH lower speed! Needless to say, he said, at that speed, he wasn't going to show any discretion and gave me a ticket for 48km/h over the posted speed limit.

Disclosure:
I asked for disclosure via registered mail as suggested, and the reply I got back in email included the hand written copy of the notes, a copy of the ticket again and the user's manual of the radar used. What I didn't get is the typed version of the notes. I can barely make out what he wrote, so they are literally of no use to me.

Question:
My court date is April 9th in Lindsay, what should I do? Should I send another registered mail asking for the typed notes? Should I not bother? Does the radar take a picture of the vehicle when it clocks them speeding? Literally, it was pitch black and there are about a dozen intersections where cars and come in and out of Hwy 48. It literally is 10km from where he alleged me speeding and where he actually saw me speeding while passing them. I was probably down to 105 with my foot off both pedals and waiting for the car to slow down to a reasonable speed. What should I do? I'm nervous!!

Thanks in advance!
Without seeing what the disclosure says, it's hard to give any meaningful advise. So you can either attempt to get typed disclosure notes in advance, or show up at the trial and claim you couldn't read the officer's notes. You may be given some time with the officer to go over his notes and then an opportunity for trial, or you may be just given another trial date with a promise that you'll get the typed notes before then. Either way, it may mean another trial date.

If/when you do attend trial, I'd probably base my defense on his ability to follow you at a distance for 10 km on a dark road. How could he verify it was YOU he saw doing 128 back then, and that you were the same driver that he pulled over. He never once lost sight of you through the entire 10km? Did he take down your plate number back then? But that's based on what you've said... You need to look at his notes.

C
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10561 posts
2152 upvotes
Montréal
CanadianLurker wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 5:02 pm
My guess is that mom only renewed one vehicle and put the sticker on the wrong plate. If the cop’s car had a scanner he doesn’t even look at the colour or month anymore - he just waits for a hit to be registered then investigates once alerted. The scanner read the plate and alerted that the plate is expired.
Whoa, they're that high-tech now? Learned something today.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Mar 3, 2018
42 posts
26 upvotes
derass wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 4:51 pm
I suppose even if the stickers on the plate and ownership match (albeit being on the wrong vehicle), the sticker number is assigned to the VIN number through the Service Ontario system, which perhaps the office can see.

Makes me wonder though, if the sticker is valid, why was OP even stopped? I doubt the officer ran that 10 digit, 12pt font number from 20 feet back.
It was the oddest thing ever, I was actually driving towards the officer waiting to turn left at an intersection and he did a U-Turn immediately rather than turn left.

I am the only that purchases the stickers for our family's vehicles and I found no payment confirmation for the vehicle I was driving which is why I had thought she may have put a sticker on each of her vehicles. But now I know it only comes with one. I will need to check to see what sticker is currently on the first vehicle once it is back home.

I attempted to do a mock purchase of stickers for the 1st car and it told me it is too early to purchase new stickers, but as for the second car, I am able to purchase it.
Mar 3, 2018
42 posts
26 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 5:11 pm
Take a look at the first part of my last post.
This police vehicle had two scanners on the front.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3088 posts
2215 upvotes
Oakville, ON
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 5:11 pm
Yep! This is a story from Waterloo in 2017. Even more widespread use since then. They basically scan everything coming/going/parked as they drive around on their shift and the system tells them when there’s an issue....

Police to use automated system to scan licence plates
NEWS Oct 04, 2017 by Adam Jackson Waterloo Chronicle

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-s ... ce-plates/

The vehicle, which has four cameras mounted near the light bar on the roof, can scan between 3,000 and 5,000 plates per shift. An Ontario Provincial Police-curated “hot list” is automatically uploaded and if the licence plate comes back as hot (i.e. stolen, does not have insurance or driver has a suspended licence), it will alert the officer.

The traffic officer will double-check that it is the correct vehicle, then conduct a traffic stop.
Mar 3, 2018
42 posts
26 upvotes
Okay so I have both vehicles plates now, and they both have OCT19 with two different permit numbers, so maybe the police officer made complete mistake or my mother switched the stickers.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1918 posts
1962 upvotes
GTA
Now check if the number on each plate sticker, matches the number on the sticker on each ownership.

But there's still the chance the stickers were mixed up between the two cars. I think only Service Ontario could check that if you brought both ownerships to them.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8448 posts
5072 upvotes
Edmonton
aPencil wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 5:23 pm
Okay so I have both vehicles plates now, and they both have OCT19 with two different permit numbers, so maybe the police officer made complete mistake or my mother switched the stickers.
Not sure of how things work out there. But to me, it sounds like you did the registration for the plates for car A, but put the stickers on the plates for car B. For example, if I pay the registration for my vehicle, but put the sticker on my GF's vehicle instead. That doesn't make her vehicle magically registered, just because she's got a valid sticker on it. If the police scan her plate number, they will see it's not up to date with regards to registration, and she'll get a ticket. And I'll get a ticket because I won't have a sticker on my plate.

I don't know which one is the first car or second car in your example. If you mean you tried to register her primary car (NOT the one you were driving) and it told you it was too early, but you were able to register her secondary car (the one you WERE driving), then that would make sense as far as my scenario goes. Someone registered one car, but put the sticker on the other car.

C
Oct 24, 2016
535 posts
362 upvotes
ON
^ But the OP has two different stickers. And you get only one sticker on renewal. Does that mean that both plates have a valid sticker but somehow got interchanged?

But how come the police scanner picked up the plate?
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13544 posts
2996 upvotes
London
Holystone wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 6:22 pm
^ But the OP has two different stickers. And you get only one sticker on renewal. Does that mean that both plates have a valid sticker but somehow got interchanged?

Sounds like the scanner is screwy unless it’s a peeling plate and got misread? I had that problem at the US border. My plate has a rusty spot and would be misread on their plate reader. I had to get new plates
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8448 posts
5072 upvotes
Edmonton
Holystone wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 6:22 pm

Likely he’ll learn more when he requests disclosure. It should cover what was checked. But the fact that he could “mock register” the secondary car but not the first would imply that the secondary car wasn’t registered. Maybe there’s a third car involved somewhere...

C
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10338 posts
1556 upvotes
Toronto
The sticker is irrelevant if it got mixed up as the status of the platess should be valid for both. The cop is scanning the plate number and if it was renewed. As long as there is a sticker associated with It, the scanner should pick it up as not expired. OP needs to visit the 'DMV' and check what they have on their computer.

I got a ticket for expired plate 2 days after my birthday once. Scheduled for early resolution. But when the prosecutor appointment came, I couldn't go. Just said to myself I would just pay the fine when it came in the mail. But it never came and didn't have any record of any sort of outstanding fine. Maybe they just checked again even though I didn't show up.
Jan 11, 2019
5 posts
Good day guys, I really need some help with my situation...

I was stopping at a red light, waiting to make a left turn ( 1 lane road on each direction).... once the lights turned green the driver of the first car on the opposite direction, waived for me to go ahead and make my turn...so I did. A cop was 3 or 4 cars behind him, followed me and issued 2 tickets... improper turn and dark tint on windows (the tint is over 6 years old, and I never had a cop pull me over or warn me about it) . I am planning to go to court and fight both tickets, any advice?
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18444 posts
3114 upvotes
GTA West
Hello,
I requested a trial and received the Notice of Trial in the mail really quickly (under 2 weeks). The trial date is nowhere near the 11b time limit.
But there is nothing on this paper with the prosecutor mailing address, so I don't know where to send my request for disclosure.
It's for Hamilton court.
The only address on this, aside from my address, is the address of the courthouse with the trial location.

So how do I know where to send the request for disclosure??
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8448 posts
5072 upvotes
Edmonton
juventino23 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 7:52 pm
Good day guys, I really need some help with my situation...

I was stopping at a red light, waiting to make a left turn ( 1 lane road on each direction).... once the lights turned green the driver of the first car on the opposite direction, waived for me to go ahead and make my turn...so I did. A cop was 3 or 4 cars behind him, followed me and issued 2 tickets... improper turn and dark tint on windows (the tint is over 6 years old, and I never had a cop pull me over or warn me about it) . I am planning to go to court and fight both tickets, any advice?
Get your disclosure, and go from there. Consider getting your windows tested so you know what their light transmission level is. You might want to check the exact wording of the section of the HTA is for both tickets. The “letter of the law” can make a big difference.

C

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

saleh99hashmi673